Has anyone lifted a Passat wagon?

MotoMatthew

TDI
1996 Passat
I have a 96 VW B4V Passat Wagon and would like to lift it. I could machine some strut pucks, but I was curious if anyone has ever done it; or if there may be some similar struts that would work and be a couple inches longer?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The front would be easy: VR6 springs. That'll give you an inch right there.

The rear not so sure, but someone probably has done something like that.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
When I bought my 2015 Passat, the OEM tires were 235x45x18 skinny sidewalls.
I changed to 235x55x18 and gained some extra height without doing any expensive changes.

I went from a 4.2" sidewall to a 5.1" sidewall, a 1 inch gain. Plus more cushioning between the road and the car.
Because where I am in the winter I wanted more ground clearance.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
For options on lifting look into the Mk2 Golf Country. I'm not sure how much it will actually help you in the rear axle since the Country was a Syncro.

Just remember, if you change the position of the rear axle you need to loosen the bolts so you relax the pivot bushings. Once you've selected the new rear height you'll need to tighten them again.

Steve

glenn1179

Veteran Member
TDI
na
I've not done a wagon, but I've lifted 2 B4 Passat sedans. I used 2" length of pipe as a spacer in the top of the strut placed below the strut bearing.

In the rear I used square tube to add space between the lower shock mount and the axle mount.

Then I ran taller tires, but the tire size is still limited in the front by the spring perch as the first point of contact. This lift method does nothing to increase that.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
UK Amazon has B4V rear HD springs...I put a set on mine a couple years back...it lifted the rear 1"

A few other guys bought the same springs too I think...