My AHU Corrado VNT GT1749va Turbo Build Thread

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I would not use red loctite on any fastener under 12mm in diameter...read the packaging for the red loctite...you won't be able to loosen those bolts unless you torch them

You can get silicone gasket material for making gaskets from the plumbing department..I think that would work perfectly especially since silicone is heat resistant..its orange and the amount that they sell is just enough for a few gaskets

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
I almost bumped this the other day to see your progress. I about have everything I need for my install. Paid for a Malone tune just yesterday. Matt hooked me up with a braided oil line and downpipe flange so that I can have one made.

I am hoping to adapt my stock IC pipes for now somehow until my buddy gets the time to weld up piping for my front mount.

EGR stuff is looking good. I deleted all that on my car a while back and I'm not really worried about it.

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Had to bump this up myself, as I would love to hear about the progress...hope you have it on the road by now!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've been living in two localities and when I've been at home where my car and son are located I've felt guilty working on the car. I've finally ordered all my remaining parts and sent my ECU to Malone. This past weekend I fabbed up my IC plumbing. This coming week I will probably work on honing the block and getting it back together.

I hate driving my automatic 20V passat that gets 25mpg. My goal is to get it on the road the 1st week on June since

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Some pics of the progress:

EGR with inlet and IC plumbing tacked up:

Crank cog drilled for Pins:

I also spent some time installing this:

I got this bar over six years ago and put off installing it because it takes up so much rear space and also because I don't like drilling holes in the chassis. Well after doing some minor redesigning I made it so it is easily removable with quick release pins. All brackets were bolted with nuts and bolts except for the bottom driver side bracket for which I still need to get two riv-nuts.

When test fitting it after having the bracket made for the DS bottom I realized that I had to shorten that pipe by roughly 2"

I think it turned out fairly good but what a PITA to install:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I so want to fit a VNT17 to my AHU now...

Would be REALLY interested in a 17/22 (1752?) standalone turbo that bolts to the AFN manifold so I won't have to modify the engine mount!

Even the standard 1749 would make a big difference coming from a K03....

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Would be REALLY interested in a 17/22 (1752?) standalone turbo that bolts to the AFN manifold so I won't have to modify the engine mount!

BV43 is a drop in upgrade for this

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
here are some pictures of the honing process:

Still within factor spec for a new oil scraper ring. Now to clean the cylinders really well and begin reassembly.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
BV43 is a drop in upgrade for this
I'm not familiar with the BV43. Not a Garrett turbo, I'm assuming.

Is there info on the compressor vs. impeller sizes? Is it a bit larger than the 1749?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not familiar with the BV43. Not a Garrett turbo, I'm assuming.

Is there info on the compressor vs. impeller sizes? Is it a bit larger than the 1749?
Its a KKK from a 2L 170HP BRD & BVA engines
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=301180
You need to be looking for a 03G145702H, 03G145702HV or 03G145702HX. Part number 5303 988 0109 or 5303 970 0109 from a BRD or BVA engine type.

Historically, VAG has in some casesdual-sourced Borg-Warner (formerly KKK) and Garrett turbochargers for the same applications . A BV43 used in the 170 HP TDI is basically the same as a GT1749VC and a BV50 basically the same as a GTB2260V(K). There are superficial differences, but the requirements set out by the OEM for the same applications are basically the same. So most discussion comparing the above turbochargers, for example, are interchangeable. For the same geometric parameters like dimensions, trim and A/R ratio, barring special technology (e.g. ported shroud housings, extended-tip compressor wheels, etc.), they share similar map characteristics.

Just popped the compressor housing off on my BV43 (at least I think its a BV43), see image below:

It measures (roughly):

Compressor Inducer approx 37.25mm*
Compressor Exducer approx 49.0mm
Giving a trim of 57.8 (does that sound reasonable?)

Is this a BV43? Part number 03G145702H

Compressor inlet bore on housing 37.6mm
Compressor outlet bore 29.0mm

O.D. of housing inlet/outlet for pipes:

Inlet 46mm with 49mm bulge to grip i.d. of pipe
Outlet 43mm with 45mm bulge to grip i.d. of pipe

Oil feed and return detail looks the same as my current AFN turbo which is good. The two dimples on the compressor wheel are balancing machining details I assume? Compressor looks in great condition.

Question to work out the A/R of the turbo I look at the turbine side?? As I read this is more sensitive side for A/R choice. Is this correct?

*(difficult to measure directly due to 5 blades (therefore not opposite), but inlet bore below is 37.6mm and blades run very close to wall, approx 0.15mm radially off bore) Across 5 blades to tips = 35.4mm which gives diameter 37.22mm after a bit of pythagoras)

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Ahh nice. Thanks for the info! The compressor wheel exducer is about the same size. Maybe like the KP39 for our PD100s it's designed for higher temps.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
My brother got his 1z up and running. He has Malone tuning as well. The thing pulls strong. Has me questioning if my ALH is up to par.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mark mentioned doing another GT1749va tune the week before that had good results so I guess that was your brother?

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Yeah, psst1997. He posted in your thread earlier, and got some advice from you.

Here

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I've just been going through your thread, looks good, I have a question though, is it my imagination or does that turbo have the same down pipe fitting as some of the wastegate turbos? It looks just like mine. My engine's like the ALH but with a wastegate turbo.:)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The gt1749va has the same flange as the mk4 VNT turbos but I've never seen a wastegate turbo with the flange. If I were you and wanted to upgrade to a VNT turbo I'd just get all of the parts from the junkyard or ebay. Turbo (get one off a PB 150 or PD130), turbo inlet pipe, downpipe/cat, oil lines and then install. You'll need to get reflashed and maybe swap the n75 valves.

In europe I would think your upgrade would be VERY easy.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeh it is but just a lack of funds at the moment but I'm sure my exhaust comes out the side of the turbo in the same way, it's garret of some sort but a wastegate one. I need to rechip the ecu to take a map, one of the MSA15's apparently. I've got a friends vw sharan outside as I'm fixing a couple of things for it's mot, it has the afn engine in it and I've been hoping it would break so I can steal the turbo and ecu lol:D

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MY ECU arrived today. I wish I was able to finish the car this past weekend but sadly a stomach bug had me bed ridden like I've never been before. I did attempt a little work and after setting a drip pan of carb cleaner on fire I decided would be best to wait until I was a 100% before touching the car. Here are some pictures of the progress from the past 2 weeks:

fresh in from canada today:

My intercooler pipes picked up from the powder coaters:

I smoothed out the upper welds after modding the pipes to fit the new setup and then had them done in black wrinkle.

I installed the head & turbo two weekends ago:
Marking the EGT probe for being centered BTW they don't make a gasket for the turbo/manifold connection. I learned this on my first AHU build. So I like to use a LIGHT coat of copper RTV and wife it away from the inside edge of the flange. I also port matched the turbo and manifold.

No pictures installed but this evening I did clean up all of the fire extinguisher powder from the garage and clean the car so no the final assembly can get finished.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The last time I was sick like that was when I poisoned myself with reheating food badly, man I lost a bit of weight that weekend.

The parts look good all nice and shiny:)

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Man that manifold is purdy. What did you paint it with.

Are you going to put the stock heat shield back on the manifold?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used some header paint from advanced auto parts. I'm waiting on a new heat shield to arrive from 1stVWparts.com along with the support bracket.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Stomach bugs are no fun. I am really anxious to see how it will do with this setup (as you are too I'm sure :) ). Do you have any turbos left?

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
This is so cool, I can't wait to hear how she goes...watching anxiously while I plan the build for my 1Z...

I wanted an ABF 2.0 16V gas engine for a while from Germany and have friends who could source one (One guy has a FIAT dealership and there is a junkyard right down the street!) but now with my recent conversion to diesel power I think I will have to try and have him find a VNT for me! At least the shipping will be a little more reasonable!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Made some more progress:

and as I was routing wires and what not this happened:

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
Looking good sir! Can't wait to see this back together. Thanks a lot for the ideas and tips for this. I am super happy with my setup.

I wish I would have ended up the round style oil return line. I bought the previously mentioned return line with the square head and it hit my motor mount. Had to pull it off and notch it just a bit to be able to bolt it to the block.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What is the difference between AFN rod bearings and AHU?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you saying the bushing for the piston pin (small end) is a better material and the crank end (big end)bearings are the same as the AHU?

slow-moe

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I was talking about the big end.
AHU is using same standard bearing for upper and lower bearing with part no. 028105701J
AFN is using standard bearing (028105701J) for lower and sputter bearing (028105701H) for upper half.
Sorry for not being clear.

Last edited: