Ok time to fix this Bluetooth nonsense...

mapleridge8

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
In the TDIclub.com forum someone got the idea to file a compliant with the Federal Government of Canada and I jumped on that.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...ng/PJSH-6X9KQY

Enough is enough, we are going to have to force Volkswagen's hand here because they don't give a rat's ass about 2010 TDI owner's in Canada. I'm in to my wagon for 40K taxes and financing included and my dealer offered to put in the Volk-L unit. That's sweet of them but that unit is a piece of garbage. Volkswagen should do the right thing and at the least offer a proper 9w3 retrofit kit that seems to be floating around out there but is difficult to get. Everyone out there with VW Bluetooth problems, take two minutes and fill out the this form, it's super easy.
Volkswagen gave us a problem, let's give one back!

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I'm in the US but totally agree. VW once again has missed the boat in providing features that many of it's competitors offer at lower price points. After all, in many places hands free is the only legal way to make and receive calls on the road. VW should be proactive and provide real BT capability (9W3) or offer it as an option.

Mat

TDI
MK6 Golf TDI Highline (ordered)
It's the case in Quebec...

We are not allowed to even hold a cellphone while driving.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I was kind of surprised when I found out that I can only receive calls hands free. But interestingly a friend of mine who has Acura TL fully loaded (over 50K I believe), said to me. You cannot win, it's always something .... on my car when I am receiving a call, it doesn't automatically cut in and interrupts the radio .... So he has to fiddle with a button on the phone. To me, that is even more useless, because you can control outgoing calls, but not the ones you are receiving.

Anyways, really hard to understand the manufacturers sometimes ...

mapleridge8

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I was promised the highline bluetooth module which allows to dial out using the car's MFSW and MFD, not using the phone. As for Canadian laws.
Ontario
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/warning...443/story.html
British Columbia (where I live)
http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id=1930860

Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec, and Nova Scotia already have such laws on the books.

Manitoba's cellphone ban is expected to be proclaimed into law next year

So for Volkswagen to be socially irresponsible and sells fully loaded cars without PROPER hands-free units is crap. You think if a police officer see's me dialing out on my Cell Phone that they're not going to give me a ticket?? You try it. These laws include Texting and as far as I'm concerned Volk-L and 9W2 are not hands-free and anybody that thinks so can drive back and forth in front of a police station and dial out using those two units that Volkswagen provides us. Me, I'm trying to change things.

The more people complain the more things are gonna change.

Mat

TDI
MK6 Golf TDI Highline (ordered)
mapleridge8 said:
I was promised the highline bluetooth module which allows to dial out using the car's MFSW and MFD, not using the phone.
The dealer who promised you the 9W3 was bull****ing you...
No Golf trim in NA gets the 9W3 module. Only the 9W2.

But I gotta say in a car that's pretty much 34K$ out the door, we are in every right to expect a bluetooth module that allows us to receive AND make calls hands free. I mean, you can get a system like that in a Nissan Versa that's 10K$ cheaper... Same thing goes with the SatNav...

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I will definitely mention it to my dealer during my first new customer evaluation day.

TDI
2010 Golf
Unless your bill of sale lists 9W3 as part of the deal, why should Volkswagen give you anything? Sounds like your salesperson didn’t know what they were talking about. How is that VW’s fault? If anything, your complaint should be with the dealer.

Yes, I agree that if you pay $40,000 (jeez, what's the CAD worth these days? I thought the 10.25% sales tax I paid was high!) the car "should" come with full hands-free bluetooth. But it does not. I knew that going in. My car came with 9W2 as a "forced" option for a couple hundred dollars. I'm getting the 9W3 module and swapping it for the 9W2 so I can have the voice dial and phone book in the MFD. It's a pretty easy swap IF the 9W2 is already installed as my car came with the steering wheel with the controls on it. Saying Volkswagen is "socially irresponsible" for not offering "proper" hands-free units is a bit much in my humble opinion. That's like saying they're socially irresponsible for not offering all wheel drive on all their cars or not offering all cars in safety orange color or not offering roll cages in all their cars.

Before the cars were released, everyone was complaining about how expensive they were going to be. Maybe VW was trying to keep the base price down. And don't even get into the "you can get a Hotoysan with full hands-free for $10,000 argument." If that's anyone's priority, they should have bought one and left the TDI (in very short supply) for someone else who appreciates what they're getting.

I guess this just goes to show that you can't make everyone happy all the time... I for one think VW did a great job! I love my car. Is their room for improvement? Sure. That's true for all cars. I'm sure things will be different for the 2011 model year. Maybe folks should wait and see before buying?

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
@ Chi 2010:

Whoa, that's WAY too sensible to be posted on the Interweb [g].

My order has changed three times (I'm racing to beat the 12/31 sales tax refund deadline) and so I've given up trying to second guess the BT issue until the actual car arrives, at which point I figure I have a number of options to get tunes and calls lined up the way I want.

-dan

TDI
2010 Golf
ekkoh99 said:
What can you put in a 2009 JSW TDI with no steering wheel function?
Whatever you're willing to pay for.

Seriously, though, retrofitting a complete bluetooth system with overhead mic and controls, and the module under the passenger seat may be more expensive than it's worth. Not to mention getting it to work with your radio (not sure that the 2009s came with radio-wise). I'm sure it's doable as BT was an option on that car.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I have a question that no one seems to have asked. If cars are coming (Jetta Sedan) with the 9W3 then why can one not simply get the dealer to order the 9W3 for you and get them to install it (or not if someone wants to install it themselves).

My point being, if a car comes with it then VW has to have spare parts for that feature in the event it doesn't work? Why not simply order the 9W3 from VW instead of off the internet?

TDI
2010 Golf
fleuger99 said:
Why not simply order the 9W3 from VW instead of off the internet?
That's what I did. Make sure you get the antenna, too.

You need:

1Z0 035 729 C – Bluetooth interface controller
and
8P0 035 503 E – Bluetooth antenna

Then you need someone to enable the module and controls. Maybe you can get a dealer to do it, I'm going to (hopefully) have a kind soul nearby do it for me with a VAG-COM.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Chicago2010Golf said:
That's what I did. Make sure you get the antenna, too.

You need:

1Z0 035 729 C – Bluetooth interface controller
and
8P0 035 503 E – Bluetooth antenna

Then you need someone to enable the module and controls. Maybe you can get a dealer to do it, I'm going to (hopefully) have a kind soul nearby do it for me with a VAG-COM.
So these are the two parts that constitute 9W3? If you don't mind me asking, what did these two parts cost you?

TDI
2010 Golf
Actually, I know someone who works for VW who ordered the parts for me so I'm not sure what they're going to cost me yet. A quick google search revealed they're both available from ecstuning.com and worldimpex.com.
1Z0 035 729 C is about $585
8P0 035 503 E is about $27
I'm guessing the dealer will charge more for the parts and install and setup. The install really only involves unplugging the existing module and plugging in the new one (with antenna attached to it). See here for instructions.

YVRTDI

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon Highline DSG Graphite Blue
Hands free headset anyone?

OK - I knew before I bought my 2010 Golf Highline that I was SOL for the BT. Didn't really care though because I knew that it was limited to the 9W2 version which is no good anyway. A good friend runs a VW/Audi dealer a has the BT in his A5 and says it is no good.

I've had a Jawbone earpiece for the last year or so and found it to be very good for reception and call clarity when it is used properly. Better yet, the other half of the conversation is not heard by passengers and there is no need to try and switch a call to a handset when I get out of the car. Its one of the most expensive ones available and it still is less than 1/2 of the cost of a retrofit BT installation.

As for the car - found one in stock in town and made the deal ASAP. I'm going from an 06 Xterra Offroad to the TDI wagon - what a great choice - couldn't be happier with the car. OT - you might ask if my buddy gave me a deal on the TDI - not a chance. He won't even discount them for his own staff. His wife wants one and it will be full price. I managed to squeeze $900 out of a local dealer in YVR who had exactly the one I wanted in stock. Lucky.

mapleridge8

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
yeah but...

this is why I'm pissed. You don't even get a retrofit 9w2 in Canada. They are going to install the Volk-L unit in your car which goes behind the dash. The 9w2/9w3 units go under the front passenger seat so good luck swapping for the 9w3 unit without the mounting bracket and wiring harnesses that come with the US models. Here in Canada we don't even get that.

tomc

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 09 sedan
I bought my 2009 jetta tdi Highline @ Abbotsford Autohaus and my bt works with my steering wheel controls and through my radio speakers but the phone book does not show up in the mfd.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
tomc said:
I bought my 2009 jetta tdi Highline @ Abbotsford Autohaus and my bt works with my steering wheel controls and through my radio speakers but the phone book does not show up in the mfd.
If you have a sedan do a search for this and you should find a solution here - it's a simple code change.

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
Chicago GOLF

Didnt your car have a Sirius module under the passenger seat?

Im thinking about the FISCON Basic unit.

TDI
2010 Golf
ekkoh99 said:
Chicago GOLF

Didnt your car have a Sirius module under the passenger seat?

Im thinking about the FISCON Basic unit.
Nope. Not sure where the Sirius model is, but it's not under the passenger seat.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Chicago2010Golf said:
Actually, I know someone who works for VW who ordered the parts for me so I'm not sure what they're going to cost me yet. A quick google search revealed they're both available from ecstuning.com and worldimpex.com.
1Z0 035 729 C is about $585
8P0 035 503 E is about $27
Just an FYI for any one else that wants to purchase the above parts (or any VW parts for that matter) from a dealer in NC that is selling all VW parts at dealer employee costs (I think it's around 25% - 30%) cheaper.

They quoted me these prices for the above parts:

1 1Z0-035-729-C INTERF.BOX 1 424.35
2 8P0-035-503-E ANTENNA 1 16.73

Here is the Vortex link to the post:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4628249&page=7

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
fleuger99 said:
Just an FYI for any one else that wants to purchase the above parts (or any VW parts for that matter) from a dealer in NC that is selling all VW parts at dealer employee costs (I think it's around 25% - 30%) cheaper.

They quoted me these prices for the above parts:

1 1Z0-035-729-C INTERF.BOX 1 424.35
2 8P0-035-503-E ANTENNA 1 16.73

Here is the Vortex link to the post:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4628249&page=7
I got those parts for $300 plus shipping off fleabay...
see this ebay store-
http://stores.ebay.com/Car-systems-Navigation-Shop
(the C version replaced the D, it came preconfigured for a VW and was plug in and go, still need to vagcom change the button for voice control but everything else works)

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
woofie2 said:
I got those parts for $300 plus shipping off fleabay...
see this ebay store-
http://stores.ebay.com/Car-systems-Navigation-Shop
(the C version replaced the D, it came preconfigured for a VW and was plug in and go, still need to vagcom change the button for voice control but everything else works)
Yup, I've seen this before but opted for a dealer so if there are any issues I can easily get the part replaced or my money back. This seller is overseas so I opted to be cautious.

wouldbecaller

TDI
2010 TDI SW
Geeting hands-free calling

fleuger99 said:
I'm in the US but totally agree. VW once again has missed the boat in providing features that many of it's competitors offer at lower price points. After all, in many places hands free is the only legal way to make and receive calls on the road. VW should be proactive and provide real BT capability (9W3) or offer it as an option.
Check your sales brochures - mine said hands-free calling is standard in the model I bought (JSW TDI). I can tell you from bitter experience that VW doesn't want to do the right thing - you'll need to force them, and you will have better luck forcing them to deliver hands-free calling if your brochure says it's standard. Even that may not be enough - they've stonewalled me despite what they promised in my sales brochure, my owner's manual, and VW's own website. VW must be German for GM.

Highline

Veteran Member
TDI
None... for now.
Just got a 2010 Jetta TDI with the hands-free calling setup.

I'd much rather have the BT audio streaming option. It is ridiculous that the BT audio gateway doesn't work with the damn hands-free calling.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Krfar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 CandyWhite JSW TDI DSG, NAV & Pano
I bought my 2010 JSW in February and it came with the 9W2 BT. The salesperson and I were both unaware of the differences. It took about a month but I worked through the General Manager and they got VW to cover the cost of the 9W3 and the Antenna Module. In fact it was installed last Friday. All the sales people at this dealership are now familiar with the issue. For now they need to manage Customer's expectations till VW makes the 9W3 BT the only option on their Vehicles.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Krfar said:
It took about a month but I worked through the General Manager and they got VW to cover the cost of the 9W3 and the Antenna Module.
Imagine that! A VW dealer that actually works with its customers to set things right. ;)

Glad it worked out for you in the end.

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
mapleridge8 said:
In the TDIclub.com forum someone got the idea to file a compliant with the Federal Government of Canada and I jumped on that.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...ng/PJSH-6X9KQY

Enough is enough, we are going to have to force Volkswagen's hand here because they don't give a rat's ass about 2010 TDI owner's in Canada. I'm in to my wagon for 40K taxes and financing included and my dealer offered to put in the Volk-L unit. That's sweet of them but that unit is a piece of garbage. Volkswagen should do the right thing and at the least offer a proper 9w3 retrofit kit that seems to be floating around out there but is difficult to get. Everyone out there with VW Bluetooth problems, take two minutes and fill out the this form, it's super easy.
Volkswagen gave us a problem, let's give one back!

you paid 40k for the bluetooth and 5 bucks for the car?????