AC/Heater fan

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
A question of curiosity.:confused:

When I switch to go in reverse, the AC/Heater fan starts to make a lot more blowing noise. It is quite noticeable. Switch back to Neutral or Drive and the fan quietens right down again.

Anyone else have this happen or is it just my car?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Nope its your car. Obviously something is loose in there that cause it to hit something in the dash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
Maybe it is switching to recirculation mode to keep from sucking in exhaust?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, it is normal... and annoying....

And eventually, you get to do this:

Because Volkswagen uses these:

Yep, cheap Chinese HVAC motors.... three of them. Luckily, the one that works the recirc door can be replaced with JUST tearing the glovebox out. But they others, particularly the one on top, require dash removal (and even then it is a pain). On the A5 and B6 cars, you could disable this feature with coding in the Climate module, I assume the NMS allows for it too, not sure.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
It is putting your air system into resurculate when placing in reverse. Normal for a VW TDI at least. Been doing that for over a decade with their cars.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks oilhammer, at least I know now my hearing is still good. I don't find it annoying, just wondered if my ears were playing tricks on me.

goodmonkey, next time I'll look to see if the recirc lite comes on momentarily all by itself.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Jetta_Pilot, you will not see the light turn on. Try turning on resurc and see if you still discern a change in reverse, or play with turning it on and off in park at idle. Otherwise you'd have to break out VCDS and check the measuring blocks.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta_Pilot, you will not see the light turn on. Try turning on resurc and see if you still discern a change in reverse, or play with turning it on and off in park at idle. Otherwise you'd have to break out VCDS and check the measuring blocks.

I can live with that, only happens when in reverse. as oilhammer pointed out it is normal.
I was just curious?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Normal, but you can turn it off with a coding change.... which I would recommend, because those little motors are not the most durable. Any less work it has to do, the better.