FS: 1999 VW Polo Wagon AKA The Greenland Polo. Pottstown, PA.

the brt

TDI
1981 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.9D, 1985 VW LT35 Car Transporter, 1988 VW LT35 Troop Transporter, 1999 Polo SDI.
I have owned this car for over 5 years, and have absolutely loved it. It is a well loved and relatively well known project - the build thread on The Car Lounge has over 250,000 views.

The car was originally ordered brand new by the US Air Force for use on their base in Thule, Greenland. The car was purchased via VW in Denmark, with cloth heated seats, 5 speed manual transmission, 1.9D engine and a upgraded radio. After it had served its tour of duty, it was shipping to the military sale unit in Norfolk, Virginia which is where I purchased it, and have owned it ever since. It comes with a normal PA title (I registered as a End User for the military paperwork), and if the buyer is a PA resident I am happy to transfer the POLO plate over to them if they wish.

The SDI engine starts perfectly, and the car drives as it should. It had a alignment and a new exhaust center section installed this summer, and needs nothing to be driven. Engine maintenance parts, steering, braking and other components are shared with normal USA market Golf/Jettas so maintenance is very simple. Almost every detail of the car, it's history and it's specifications are in the massive 25 page thread, so I would suggest any interested parties at least browse through it. I have left the body basically as it originally was, so there are various dings and dents; it could benefit from paint work but presents well now - I love the history and backstory that comes with the body so I personally didn't want to lose that. Through its various versions during my time with it, it has ended up being a very factory correct specification - the suspension is not original and the BBS wheels are from a different European market VW, but otherwise it is completely as the factory intended. A normal VCDS Vag-Com computer can be used etc. The car has traveled approximately 35,000 miles, and is due for a oil change which I will do shortly. This has been a long and very fun project, that in the end has made for a reliable and surprisingly fun small diesel station wagon.

I have received a deposit for the Polo. I am really happy to see it going to a good next owner :)

Last edited:

WolfsburgGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
This car is in pristine condition! Good luck with the sale. Love the Polo's and especially the Polo Kombies/wagon. This would really turn heads at VW and other Euro meets.

the brt

TDI
1981 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.9D, 1985 VW LT35 Car Transporter, 1988 VW LT35 Troop Transporter, 1999 Polo SDI.
This car is in pristine condition! Good luck with the sale. Love the Polo's and especially the Polo Kombies/wagon. This would really turn heads at VW and other Euro meets.
Thank you :) Is does have its share of dents and dings, but it is definitely a ton of fun to drive and own.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Cool car. I remember reading the posts on the vortex when you first bought the car at the auction. Curious, what kind of MPG do you get?

the brt

TDI
Super Cool! Never seen one before. Free Bump.

I've seen this car on 422 a few times. Now I know the story behind it.

Very cool car. GLWS.
Cool that you're local. I don't drive it too often, but do get spotted quite often when it's out.

Cool car. I remember reading the posts on the vortex when you first bought the car at the auction. Curious, what kind of MPG do you get?
Thanks. I am almost embarrassed to say, but I stopped tracking my fuel mileage on it years ago as I use it quite infrequently. I doubt I have filled the tank more than a couple of times this year (hence the reason for sale - it spends the majority of its time tucked away, although it is a great to drive).

I may take it on a longer highway run next week if I get a chance, and if so I might fill up before and after that journey to refresh my memory on the averages

deaster

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI Variant - 80 Caddy Diesel - 04 WDI Passat Variant
Amazing car & build. One of the most honest/knowledgeable/modest sellers/collectors you will ever meet. Sorry to see you sell it @the brt and the chance of a lifetime for someone in the US to own a properly titled / legal Polo Variant/Estate.

GLWS :)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
EPA/DOT releases available so the new owner will be able to register it and operate it in their home state?

the brt

TDI
Amazing car & build. One of the most honest/knowledgeable/modest sellers/collectors you will ever meet. Sorry to see you sell it @the brt and the chance of a lifetime for someone in the US to own a properly titled / legal Polo Variant/Estate.

GLWS :)
Thank you so much :)

You asked great questions!! I'll reply later this evening, thank you.

EPA/DOT releases available so the new owner will be able to register it and operate it in their home state?
Great question too. This car was not imported via normal US CBP channels, which is part of what makes it so unique. It was purchased literally by the US USAF, and then sold directly by them in the USA just as a Humvee or other military equipment would be. I went through the correct procedure of registering as a End User and processed the paperwork directly with PENNDOT, including the VIN inspection etc. I did a lot of preparatory work before going through the process, and made sure to do it correctly. It has a standard PA title, which can be transferred normally (except perhaps to California). If I had to describe it, I would say this is not as much a 'imported car' as it is a 'former-military vehicle'.

It's this almost completely unique background that is special, and almost (literally?) impossible to replicate. I have a file of notes and papers that will be supplied to the buyer, along with some spare parts, which I hope will help to keep the history of it together.:)

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Hi, Brt. I'm not picking on you or your sale, but I've dealt with grey market stuff in the past.

Someone else was trying to sell a Polo a couple years ago:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=277791

They finally conceded that the car could not be legally operated or registered in the USA. I guess they were some sort of research outfit in Shelton CT that had imported the Polo and "forgot" that it had to be exported or sent to the crusher after a finite period of time.

I had major headaches with my grey market car and it was 100% legal, with all required releases, but everyone from the dept of motor vehicles to the insurance company had non-stop issues about the "VIN" and everything else associated with it. You say your vehicle falls under the category of "military vehicle". Perhaps that will be the saving grace.

the brt

TDI
I had major headaches with my grey market car and it was 100% legal, with all required releases, but everyone from the dept of motor vehicles to the insurance company had non-stop issues about the "VIN" and everything else associated with it. You say your vehicle falls under the category of "military vehicle". Perhaps that will be the saving grace.
I welcome questions and discussion, although if we go too far off topic perhaps we can start a new thread or talk directly :)

I'm sorry to hear that your imported cars have had issues. That isn't my experience personally with the Polo, or my multiple older imported cars and trucks. I have insured the Polo through 2 different national insurance companies, and also have agreed policies on other foreign cars that I own with a collector insurance company. The DMV are generally as courteous as they can be expected to be.

mattbuy

TDI
2004 Golf tdi 5 speed
I would think because it has a PA title everything has already been settled. Super nice looking car by the way

mkwheels

TDI
1999 VW Polo Classic Mk3 1.9L SDI
I haven't seen an email or PM reply come through. Don't mean to be a bother, just looking forward to hearing back from you and want to be sure I don't miss your message :)

the brt

TDI
I haven't seen an email or PM reply come through. Don't mean to be a bother, just looking forward to hearing back from you and want to be sure I don't miss your message :)
Email has been sent :)

the brt

TDI
Deposit received, thank you. I'm really happy with the home it will be going to :)