Suggestions for the top 3 mods for a new TDI Golf Wagon?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Well I wish I could say that money is no object but I still haven't won the lottery yet!! Trying to keep my budget under $5000.

Just hoping as a realitive newb in the world of VW & TDI's that some of you can toss out your knowledge or personal thoughts about what should or shouldn't be done!

TIA

Last edited:

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
I suppose I'd throw a skidplate on there for good measure, although I'm not doing anything like that till the warranty expires. Other than that, invest that $5k and don't do anything.

Mods are a one-way street. You'll never see that money again, and they may even drop your resale value. And some may enter that void-the-warranty grey area.

LandCruiser

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Mazda Miata
I'll spare you the "mods are wasteful" talk and give you my opinion.

1) Tires
2) Rear sway bar

nofossil

TDI
2010 JSW
Of course, it REALLY depends on what you want to do with the car. For my purposes, hardwired GPS and radar detector (power from overhead console) and trailer hitch were my first mods. Some sort of flexible roof rack system is next. Pretty boring, i suppose.

Of course, I have a 3rd gen RX-7 for a go-fast car ;-)

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
First how about telling us what you are interested in?

* more power
* fancy looks
* type of driving you will be doing
* better mileage
* Noticed you are from the west coast of Canada, so maybe winter tyres chains etc.
* If up in the mountains or way north, maybe a engine block heater?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
My favorite mods are:

Dieselgeek short shifter (if you have a manual transmission)
Aspherical side rear view mirrors (no blind spots)
Dieselgeek skid plate (a good idea, no matter what - a requirement if you intend to lower your car).
Window tint (I live in the middle of the desert)

This all will cost you well less than $1000 - Then, you can send me the other $4000, if it is burning a hole in your pocket.:rolleyes: Seriously, if I were you, I'd take the other $4000 and pay down my car loan. As stated above, most mods do not add value to your car. Therefore I would not waste a lot of money on anything that is not safety related. Bling only makes the parts guy richer, but it does nothing for the car's value

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

UGM10Golf

TDI
2010 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Tow Hitch: around $125 on Ebay

Does anyone know if theres a wire harness kit for the VW?
I dont want to splice any wires.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
UGM10Golf said:
Tow Hitch: around $125 on Ebay

Does anyone know if theres a wire harness kit for the VW?
I dont want to splice any wires.
No there isn't....you will need to make your own which I am in the process of doing and will avoid tapping into the original wiring....look for Modulite 119176 or 119190(heavy duty) or Curt 56146....

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
Wow $5Gs holy crapp you looking to spend some coin.

Well first for Free turn off the DRLs
Second Window tint and Clear Bra
Neuspeed Rear Sway
Dieselgeek Short shifter

Then I would go with Cosmetics.

I am going to rebadge my cars interior w/ 2.0R parts
Wheels 18" in something nice retaining the VW wheel caps.

Other items if I had the loot,
Neuspeed intake,
Downpipe and Exhaust
All the GTD Carbon fiber parts.

I bet 5k can easily take care of all of this

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Mine are:

Sport Springs $1000 (including the installation and allignment)
Tint $250
Clear Bra $450
Nice wheels & tires $1500 - $2000 depending on the wheels & tires.
Upgrade BT if only 9W2 $450

Finally....enjoy the new ride

x43x

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SW
Hot girl for passenger seat. But, you will need a lot more than $5,000 if it becomes long term :)

vinistois

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 golf wagon tdi
1. high-end coilovers (Bilstein, H&R, Koni, K-sport, B&G)
2. Rear sway bar
3. 18" RML snowflakes with nice rubber
4. Unitronic engine and DSG tune when they are ready
5. VW Nav-deck
6. Upgrade to highline controller, steering wheel, etc (if you dont already own)
7. 9W7 bluetooth
8. under-seat cubbies
9. Focal Speakers w/ Audison 5 ch. amp
10. shallow 10" sub in the trunk floor, sub amp

That's my list! So far I have none of these.... want to share your $5K?

sportwagen rick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SportWagen
Like others have said, a lot of it has to do with what you want. It's easy to say get a nice set of wheels and tire... but what if you aren't in to that? Or what if you just like the wheels you have... And we don't know what you car is already equipped with. There may be some factory things you don't have that could be nice upgrades; i.e. NAV

That being said. Here is what I've done:

Window tint
Golfball shifter
Sport pedals
Koni coilovers (going on this weekend)

Additionally some things I want to do (no particular order)
9w7 upgrade
Fog lights
Votex body kit
Euro underseat drawers
Euro cubby
Euro mirrors
Homelink
Sway bars
OEM HID headlights

And I haven't ruled out different wheels even though I have 18s already. There are a couple of other wheels I like, but I may just add some spacer to the Goals for a more aggressive stance-- the rears especially seem to be a bit too tucked in.

Whatever you do, have fun and do what makes you happy. I love modding cars. I always have some very particular vision of what I want my vehicles to look like.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I'd like to say thanks for everything you all chimed in with. It gives me a good range to pull from and see where this car goes. You all hit on everything I had been considering (my list is still small) this last week but it's nice to have some real world input before taking the leap.

I don't have aspirations of a superdoopertunermobile by any means. I just want something that's mine, rides well and sounds, well sounds good!

A guy can dream can't he? $2500 is more of a reality and even then as I've been laying out the costs my wife has been doing the exorcistheadspinningaroundthing LOL

I think a skid plate will be #1 here right away as we travel the BC Interior (West Kootenays) 2x a year to visit our family. Summer finds us trekking down some high traffic logging / secondary BC highways (read gravel) to get to our favorite out of the way places. And then, winter, well winter can be a real ***** outside of the lower mainland Nov-Mar!

My dealer is looking into the 3m clear bra, mirror & bumper kit for me. The kit is $400 and warranty approved if installed by a certified shop... except again no stock and he hasn't been able to get any info from VWoC (I assume that's who they'd call?) on local installers.

I'm torn between the BANKS & BORLA exhaust systems. BANKS fills the bumper cutout very well with the ovalesque tip. The BORLA system maintains the stock look with the dual tip which I like too. No clue what either sound like at this point.

Thinking about some progressive springs and dropping it no more then 1.5 front & rear". Not sure if I'll stick with the stock 16"s or go up but I assume (haven't read enough yet) that suspension is a big consideration if upping the stock wheel size.

Heard differing theories on adding an intake. No real desire at this point.

Been reading up on Malone Tuning and thinking that might be a better idea then exhaust (thanks Joe whatever your username is on here).

Beyond that it'll be minor cosmetic mods.
  • Tinted window vents - part # exists but there was no stock as of today.
  • OEM TDI floor mats - they'll be here next week!
  • Thinking about getting the black chrome VW badge for the front grill but not 100%.
  • Want to add the chrome tailgate strip but not sure if it would clash with the aluminum bumper plate.
  • Trying to find a 1-1/4" OEM VW receiver cap - deal has a 2" that had just arrived.
  • Would love to find a RNS-510 for less then the cost of my first born.
To those who have added the rear sway bar how has it improved your handling?

Not sure what Ver. I have but I'll have to read up on the BT upgrade. (unless someone wants to tell me)

Tow hitch was installed via the dealer as part of the original purchase.

PS got the hot chick for the front seat, my wife!! Don't tell her that it'll go to her head :p

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL ohh I see that nice sticky on BT at the top of this forum. Guess I'm not going to bed yet!

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
What is the interest in turning off the DRL's? I've seen it mentioned time and again.

As a motorcyclist the more visible you are during the day the better, be it 2 or 4 wheels.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
crashtested said:
What is the interest in turning off the DRL's? I've seen it mentioned time and again.

As a motorcyclist the more visible you are during the day the better, be it 2 or 4 wheels.
Also being a motorcyclist I agree. Maybe that is why I consistently recommend against turning it off. However some people feel it lowers mileage and ???

The only really good reason I have heard is only for those who are required to do so when approaching a check point as you might at a military base or arriving late at a drive-in movie.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Joe_Meehan said:
Also being a motorcyclist I agree. Maybe that is why I consistently recommend against turning it off. However some people feel it lowers mileage and ???
and: When you do as much driving as most TDI owners do, that 80% weirdo voltage running through the lights for hours each day can really run down some bulbs.

back2vw

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2016 Jetta GLI SEL
Well I'm still waiting to get our Golf, but here is my wish list...

Window tint
Clear bra (on the fence about it still)
Koni or H&R coilovers (installed with only 1" drop or so)
Bigger rear sway bar
18x8" VW Interlagos wheels with 225/40s
Diesel Geek short shifter and skidplate
Of course the 9W3 or 9W7 Bluetooth would be a nice upgrade, so would the Navigation unit

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
WVU TDI said:
and: When you do as much driving as most TDI owners do, that 80% weirdo voltage running through the lights for hours each day can really run down some bulbs.
Do you, or anyone, know what the life time usage (in units of time) is for an OEM lamp:

* A at 80%
* B at 100%
* C Added fuel usage due to the additional electrical drain?

I have no idea, but it would be fun to find out.

Has anyone see a good study of any accident reduction due to DRLs?

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
So far I've done, in order...
  • 3M Tint - $180
  • U-Haul hitch receiver - $65.69
  • Banks Exhaust - $349
  • Evolution Imports Skid Plate - $299.14
  • DieselGeek Sigma 6 Short Throw Shift Kit - $197.99
  • Custom Stereo - $1500+ *still installing*

Still not up to that $5k mark, though once my Koni coilovers show up and I buy the tires/rim I'll be over that. I've also got a set of stainless door sill protectors on order. They're custom engraved so no telling when I'll get them. The only things I want to still do after all that is the Malone tune and GTD grill.

BTW, I did a video of the Banks exhust so you can hear it, if you want. It's at http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/stage.static/rsrc.php/z4OG5/hash/7qkbs3nb.swf?v=1201555938748&ev=0.

Last edited:

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Joe_Meehan said:
Do you, or anyone, know what the life time usage (in units of time) is for an OEM lamp:
Not a clue :) I think it's just one of those things where someone was looking for a "reason" that disabling the DRLs was a good idea. I disabled mine on my '01, don't really know why.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
crashtested said:
1) You live in Canada. DRLs are required by law in Canada. Therefore, you do not want to turn them off.

2) The reason I turned mine off is because I live in a city with a lot of idiot drivers (it's a 24/7 drunk driving city). Many people here do not remember to turn on their headlights when it gets dark. If my DRLs are on, nobody notices if I try to flash (turn off and on) my headlights to remind them that they need to turn on their lights. Mileage gains are minimal at best. Aside from the above stated reason, the only other good reason might be bulb life.

Have Fun!

Don

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
It's not very loud at all. Maybe after the Malone Stage 2 goes in it'll sound better. We'll see.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
JSWTDI09 said:
Many people here do not remember to turn on their headlights when it gets dark. If my DRLs are on, nobody notices if I try to flash (turn off and on) my headlights to remind them that they need to turn on their lights.
Very good reason. I have not thought of that. In my case it is not an issue as I have a Euro switch which lets me flash them