Whoosh sound followed by "pop" when cold start

murfysflaw

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Full disclosure, this is my first turbo, first TDI, I have searched and nothing quite matched what I'm experiencing.

I have an '01 Golf TDI w/ 330k miles. I've noticed when starting cold, I get what I can only describe as a whooshing sound for a few seconds followed by a pop, then it goes away. The whoosh is clearly some sort of vacuum or air, and the pop is something closing and stopping the flow.

Based on my searches, it seems like it's likely the BOV, but what I can't tell is if this is normal or if there's something wrong. I do have a CEL that indicates I need to clean the EGR in case that's related.

Flame suit on... ready to be called an idiot in 3, 2, 1....

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
First, the tdi's don't have a bov.

Second, everyone is/was new at some point. The only dumb question is one that isn't asked.

Is it possible to get a video of what's happening. May be a little easier to diagnose.

murfysflaw

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
First, the tdi's don't have a bov.

Second, everyone is/was new at some point. The only dumb question is one that isn't asked.

Is it possible to get a video of what's happening. May be a little easier to diagnose.
Well there you go! I expect it wouldn't be the BOV then!

I'll try to get one later this evening after it's cooled off. Worst case, I should be able to grab one in the morning.

dcullen

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Could this noise be coming from under the dash. I've had cars with sticky heater doors that behaved this way. On start the vacuum motor pulls on the linkage (woosh) and then the door slams shut (bang)

murfysflaw

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
As usual for me, once I post about the problem, start trying to get a video/audio of it, it decides to not occur again. It was happening at each cold start for a week or so, now... nothing.

If it starts doing it again, I'll get a video and post it up.