Engine stalled durring hard acceleration

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Golf Gone But not forgotten. 2000 Jetta TDi Kerma Tuned
Just got off work driving home. Got on it a little bit it was still cold. Boosted it to 20psi and it just dies. Pulled it over got out looked it over with my flashlight on my phone found nothing wrong. Had my buddy try to start it and it ran real ruff. He shut it off and restarted it again and all was better. Ran fine all the way home I don't understand. Btw its a 2000 Jetta with Fmic kerma K3 turbo 764's. 3Bar map and 3" turbo back exhaust. Newly rebuilt IP 10mm. This is a new one to me so anyone with some insite would be great.

Semper fi
Jarhead

scrapen

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Happened to me, except after about 3 days i started to feel a vibration on my way to a gtg and then the rod went through the block on my way home.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
We just fixed a stalled 2000 Jetta after it drove a block or two the morning of the first "cold" snap, then died. Wound up being a clogged fuel filter, and associated loss of prime in the IP. My guess is that during normal hot weather here, the clogged fuel filter let the warm (thinned) diesel through, but the cool snap "thickened" the diesel to the point that the filter would not let it through.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
In these early ALH engines they had a very restrictive check valve in the fuel pickup pipe. It is one heck of a crud trap.

I have had to drill out several of them. They seemed no worse for losing the check valve, though you could put a Mk III type fuel line check valve in if you wanted.

Though it is wordy and long, this thread has good pictures of the issue. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=68872

If I owned an early car, and it still had the early fuel pickup assembly, I would drill it out immediately upon purchase. I would also take the opportunity to pump out all the fuel and to wipe the fuel tank clean.

Oh, and these models have the problem even in Florida, so this issue is not restricted to cold weather.

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
Happened to me, except after about 3 days i started to feel a vibration on my way to a gtg and then the rod went through the block on my way home.
God i hope it ain't that....just saying. Sorry for the luck:(

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
As for the pick up in the tank the gentleman i boight the car from put a lift pump in it not sure if that will help out. I am hoping that it may be fuel filter. I have the CAT system in the trunk I'll throw that in this weekend.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
DanG144--

Thanks for the tip on the fuel sender check valve. I had read that long ago and forgotten about it. I have passed it on to the owner in the event that the stall occurs again (so he won't be immediately frustrated, he'll just know what has to be done); and cc:'d myself on the email.

JarHead

Veteran Member
TDI
Pulled the timing cover off put hands on the belt. All looks well the belt is very tight so that's a good sign I'll be digging in to this more this weekend. I'll update then. Thanks for the advice so far.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
That fuel sender drilling one is good, I did it to my 2001 and it's better up the revs. Only downside (if you can call it that) is the engine idling slightly rough when first started in the morning but even then I only notice it because I'm way to fussy lol.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
That is the secret H mod we do it alot here in the northeast.