Radio Upgrade

Scott_Greer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 A5 5 Speed
Couldn't I just use one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5MM-AUX-I...deo&hash=item4150d326e9&vxp=mtr#ht_3754wt_794

My assumption is that the one you posted is expensive because it gives you IPod control through the radio and charges the IPod right?

Seems like the cons to the one I posted are:

No radio control over the IPod(not a deal breaker for me)
Disables satellite radio(I dont pay the subscription and dont use it anyways)
No charging(also not a deal breaker)

If so, I'll take the 10$ option over the 100$ option.

Since the plug replaces the Sat plug, I guess you would set the radio to SAT" mode and hit play on the IPod???

EDIT:The biggest plus to the Ebay item I posted is I can listen to my 16000+ songs on Google Music streamed through my phone!

Last edited:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
As I discussed in a PM. The generic adapter won't work without a CD Changer installed. Of course you could always just figure out what the clock signal coming from the changer is and make a generator.

For my adapter I simply tapped into the 2 audio channels coming from the CD Changer, left and right. I placed a DPDT switch between and I can toggle between the changer and my other device. Only "downfall" is that I need to keep a CD in the Changer and audio cuts out for moment when it reaches the end of the disc.

Cost me about $4 in total.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I think some of the other models of radios on VW offer an actual AUX input function. More than that, I'm not sure.

What model radio do you have?

Scott_Greer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 A5 5 Speed
I think some of the other models of radios on VW offer an actual AUX input function. More than that, I'm not sure.

What model radio do you have?
Just got this Jetta and dont know the jargon. Its the non-nav with satellite, 6 disc in the dash (not the trunk) and black bottons.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
Even if you want just an AUX input on that radio, you must have a smart adapter for it to function. The radio logic will not activate the audio line if it does not detect the satellite module or the ipod module connected to it, and this prevents the dumb headphone minijack with the proprietary plug from functioning.

This changed on the 2007+ models with the silver buttons on the radio, where the dumb cable will work.

Sorry for the bad news. I opted to replaced my radio with an aftermarket deck I had from my last car.

Scott_Greer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 A5 5 Speed
UPDATE!!!

Found this gem on Youtube and it works GREAT! I don't use satellite radio anyways, so losing the functionality of sat was not an issue for me. I bought a 10$ 3.5mm audio cord. Works like a charm. You can play your IPod, IPhone or Android device through it.

I like most that I can run my Google Music app with over 2000 songs and Google maps through my phone at the same time and GPS speaks over the music just as it would on the stock NAV system!:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ij96mcUHAE

Schumi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Aux Button

Ok, so my '06 Jetta TDI, Pkg.2, with Nav. has an AUX button on the face, but I cannot find anywhere to plug in my Android phone. Any suggestions of where this might be located or how I can mod. a cable for use with this button would be helpful.

UPDATE!!!

Found this gem on Youtube and it works GREAT! I don't use satellite radio anyways, so losing the functionality of sat was not an issue for me. I bought a 10$ 3.5mm audio cord. Works like a charm. You can play your IPod, IPhone or Android device through it.

I like most that I can run my Google Music app with over 2000 songs and Google maps through my phone at the same time and GPS speaks over the music just as it would on the stock NAV system!:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ij96mcUHAE

Schumi

TDI
Aux jack

If you have an AUX button, there "should" be a 3.5mm audio jack in the glove box.
I have looked and there is no 3.5mm jack in my glove box - which I find weird given the AUX button on the stereo. Is it hidden or under anything?

Scott_Greer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 A5 5 Speed
Not that i remember from my wifes 08 2.5 gasser. It was up high in the glove box. Tried removing the radio to see if it is on the back?

Schumi

TDI
Aux jack

Not that i remember from my wifes 08 2.5 gasser. It was up high in the glove box. Tried removing the radio to see if it is on the back?
I looked again in the glove box and no 3.5mm jack anywhere. I wouldn't begin to know how to remove the nav./radio from the dash.

Schumi

TDI
Aux jack

Also, does it have the IPod jack in the armrest?
What would I look for once I got the radio out? I see nothing on the video that suggests where that jack would go and I do not want to disconnect my CD player.