GTD in 2015?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Here's the article...

Diesel Fans, Take Heart: The Volkswagen Golf GTD Could Be Coming To The U.S. After All

Don’t give up on the Volkswagen Golf GTD just yet.

There’s hope the sporty diesel-powered hatchback might come to the United States after all, according to Michael Horn, president and chief executive officer at Volkswagen Group of America.

After revealing at the New York auto show that the highly anticipated GTD version of the Golf was doubtful for the U.S. market, VW received such a deluge of protests from customers and the press that the company is reconsidering.

“We are redoing the business case, so I’m rather confident that we will get it,” Horn said. “But it’s not going to come before 2017.”

Horn made the remarks at a press briefing for the U.S. launch of the all-new 2015 VW Golf, which begins arriving in dealerships soon.

Volkswagen Golf GTD

This is Volkswagen’s second change of heart on the Golf GTD.

Originally, this souped-up diesel version of the Golf had been expected to arrive stateside in 2015. But at the New York auto show in April, Horn had said the cost of importing the diesel engines from Germany all but put the kibosh on the plan for U.S. sales, as it pushed the price point for the GTD too high. He did not elaborate on what changes would make the newly revised business case more attractive.

Volkswagen has to tweak the exhaust treatment system of the Golf GTD to comply with U.S. requirements, which is one reason why Horn estimates the release would be delayed until 2017. These systems, which use urea to neutralize particulates and other toxic emissions, enable diesel engines to meet stringent emissions standards.

Another factor contributing to the longer timeframe for a U.S. introduction of the GTD is that the company will have to ramp up production at the Volkswagen plant in Puebla, Mexico, Horn says.

The VW Golf GTD is a variation of the company’s gas-powered Golf GTI, a hot hatchback adored by car enthusiasts the world over for its superior driving dynamics and pulse-quickening acceleration.

Both the GTD and GTI use a turbocharged four-cylinder engine but, given the inherent properties of gasoline and diesel engines, the GTI produces more horsepower, whereas the GTD produces more torque. What this means in practical terms is that the GTD should feel quicker at lower speeds, while the GTI will accelerate faster at moderate-to-high speeds.

Like the GTI, the GTD is all new and is already on sale in Europe, where it has received rave reviews for its acceleration, handling and fuel economy. Compared to the VW Golf GTI, which gets an estimated 28 miles per gallon in combined city/highway driving—already quite good for a vehicle of its caliber—the GTD is expected to be about 20 percent more efficient.

As far as pricing, the Golf GTD is expected to cost roughly $2,000 more than the GTI, which has a starting price of $24,395.

Although the GTD won’t be coming to the United States for at least a couple of years, other all-new versions of the VW Golf are on the way now. These include two gasoline-powered models, the base Golf TSI and the high-performance Golf GTI. There is also a diesel version of the latter, called the Golf TDI, which will have a smaller, less-powerful engine than that of the GTD.

The VW Golf GTI is expected to arrive in dealerships as soon as this month, with the others due later this summer.

Volkswagen also plans to launch its electric e-Golf in the fall, followed by the Golf SportWagen and Golf R in early 2015.
Read more:

The Volkswagen Golf R is in this roundup of the top debuts at the Detroit auto show, and the Mazda 3, a Golf competitor, is all new for 2014, as detailed here.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What LNXGUY said.

I'm not even going to read that article. Two years ago people were writing similar ones, and look what happened.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Weren't we also supposed to have a TDI Tiguan in 11? or was it 12 or 13 or 14 or....

I agree with IBW, don't read the articles. Beleive the hype when the car is sitting on the lot and not before. That's what I did when I bought my 2010 JSW. Lots of ads talking about all the new diesels that none of the Charlotte dealers had. Pulled in one day and there were two of them sitting on the lot. 120 mile test drive and 6 hours later, I had one of the two.

daniel_mad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI 127hp
It's not coming guys, because of the Adblue, they'd have to remove the independent rear suspension... Then it's no longer a GTD

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
2015 Golfs and Jetta's still use the DPF as far as I know, so no there shouldn't be adblue in the GTD but I am not holding my breath for one of these

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
2015 Golfs and Jetta's still use the DPF as far as I know, so no there shouldn't be adblue in the GTD but I am not holding my breath for one of these
all 2015 VW's with the new EA 288 TDI engine use Ad Blue......and where they located the Tank on the Golfs precludes the use of IRS I just saw a 2015 Jetta today it's tank is located as the Passats is and it still has IRS

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I wonder what they're going to do with the Sportswagen? My guess is that it will be set up like the Golf.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The Sportwagen has extra length past the rear wheel, though, which allows for urea.

And, as has been said countless times... DPF is for particulates, AdBlue (or a NOx trap) is for NOx.

The NOx trap is what has been replaced with AdBlue, the DPF is still there.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Yesterday the owner of our local dealership sent me a list of coming VW models that he got at a sales meeting last week. No GTD.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Alltrack wagon Q3 2016. He didn't specifically say TDI, but I'm pretty sure it'll have one available.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I don't, but I'm saying that there's the possibility of IRS, urea, and a spare tire in the same car.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, although I think with a little fore thought, they could have found a better place for the urea tank in the Golf too.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Is the fuel tank smaller on Jetta?

all 2015 VW's with the new EA 288 TDI engine use Ad Blue......and where they located the Tank on the Golfs precludes the use of IRS I just saw a 2015 Jetta today it's tank is located as the Passats is and it still has IRS
Is the fuel capacity less on Jetta for 2015?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
VW's site says it's 14.5 gallons, same as before. But their web site data is also notoriously inaccurate.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
According to ELSA (I now work at a dealer and have access to such things) it says the 2015 Golf TDI engine code CRU(A) has a Selective Catalytic Reduction system.

Also of note, there are two suspensions listed for the new Golf in ELSA. The IRS AND the old school torsion beam. NOT the straight hub-to-hub beam of the Mk6 Jetta, but a proper old school torsion beam. Think Mk4 and earlier.

It will be interesting to see how many have which suspension. Now, bear in mind that since it appears most if not all of the new EA288 family TDIs use SCR, don't be surprised to see it in combination with IRS on MQB cars. VW designed the chassis for it. Why VWoA used the lame excuse of "Oh, there's no spot for the adblue tank" is beyond me.

Does make me wish I had a closer look at the Golf Alltrak TDI display car we had in the shop several months ago. Didn't think about looking for the Adblue tank. Alltraks are of course IRS. And have added space used for a differential and axles.... Would have been interesting to see if THAT had the SCR system. If it does, that leaves no excuse for a FWD GTD to not have it.

On another note, if you haven't driven a new Mk7 GTI, you'll like it. The torque delivery is quite surprising considering it's a gasser. That and the variable ratio steering rack is pretty neat. Doesn't take long at all to get it to turn lock to lock.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
The Golf Alltrack is a wagon, yes? There'd be room behind the suspension in a wagon or sedan, that isn't as readily available in a hatchback. So, they could do a GTD Wagon, or a Jetta GLD, but not a GTD hatch, if that's the case.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
SAw a tv commercial for the new golf TDI last night, it claimed that it is now epa rated 45 mpgs highway......While that is still short of what will be seen in a manual trans version at least now we have a number on the sticker that will get the clueless possible owners attention...

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I've heard that they actually get 50 to the gallon on the highway. Typical diesel. Under estimate, over deliver!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That article is 18 months old, and that prediction has long since been squashed.