2014 Touareg TDI

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Hi all,

Wanted to get some opinions on the 2014 Touareg TDI as I'm considering buying one. Any concerns with them or their engines? I understand some differences are that they have a timing chain, which is supposed to last the lifetime of the engine (or lifetime of the powertrain warranty), and they have lifetime ATF, so no expensive transmission fluid changes. Anything else I should know?

Thanks,

Sophia

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
yah they also say the transfer case and diffs are lifetime....You believe what you want but im changing my 8spd aisin trans fluid, look up the replacement cost of that transmission, ill pay for the fluid and filter.

I just did the transfer case and both diffs, dealer said they have never sold transfer case fluid and told me pretty much you cant change it...lol funny fill and drain plugs said otherwise.

Anyway the 3.0 tdi engines are unreal and super reliable....the 13+ has 2 less timing chains and a bit different turbo setup then the 9-12s...over all they are pretty well the same 20hp difference but the earlier engine has a snappier low end. Either way they both are awesome, the transmission is a beast and is super smooth even juiced up power it still is silky smooth and fast shifting.

If you dont want to buy one....for sure dont drive one...drove a lot of suvs and the touareg is on another level, the quality, handling and power delivery is unreal....the torsen 4 motion system is incredible as well and if you need to tow it can and with ease. Im a year into mine and i couldnt be happier

g-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Execline
I have a 2014 Execline 3.0L T-reg. Bought it new.

It has been an excellent vehicle mechanically. Hasn't had a wrench on it in 95,000km

Everything about it is top notch. The ride quality, handling, performance, towing etc. The interior is very good, but as I also have had a Audi A6 and S5 and the interior doesn't quite compare.

Everyone who has caught a ride in it or had the chance to drive it falls in love with the thing immediately.

The only downside that burns my behind is the emissions BS, the 2014 is definitely included in the scandal and what they'll do for us won't be determined until after the 2.0L are settled.

I have a 2010 Highline 2.0 golf. So getting burnt twice on this thing.

I have had many Volkswagen diesels and have loved them all but this emissions bs is a real disappointment. On the golf I'll come out ahead. But I'm expecting to be royally screwed on the Touareg side of things.

I'd be happy if they'd buy me out and I'd wash my hands of it.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I'm worried about forking over money for a Touareg, and then being forced into a buy-back in which I'll lose money. That is my only main concern. And I also like the Acura MDX, so torn between the two..

g-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Execline
I really doubt we will get a buyback. And I really can't see them being able to force a buyback especially when they don't want to. Tregs cost a lot more than golfs and jettas. They really don't want to fork out that cash if they can help it.

I think they are trying very hard and so far all the documentation they've released points them trying to develop a fix for the emissions issues.

We'll probably get few grand in cash and then a recall for the fix.

The treg and Acura don't compare. The Acura might have a nice interior. But the treg is built like a tank, it is heavy, floats like a Cadillac, pulls like a freight train.

Returns great mileage for the amount of metal you're moving.

I really love the car, it has no equal far as I'm concerned. But I really feel let down by VW or by extension Robert Bosch.

I'll still buy vw & Audi. I'm that sick in the head. But sadly I doubt we'll see them offer a diesel in North America again.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
like i have said the 2014 engine is NOT even being offered a voluntary buyback...so your forced into a buyback is not even remotely a reality.
As for the emission issue and being mad at vw im not gonna touch that, only to say it effected me none and the car is everything and then some they said it was. Mine is on the buyback years 9-12 but they will never get it back, unless they pay me more then i paid so i can go buy a newer one. No chance they will ever get it from me otherwise

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Lifetime = As long as the warranty last BUT some damage can already occure from leaving the fluid in there too long.
Save yourself a headache and buy the Honda.

Last edited:

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
Talk to Brandon or your favourite shop in Ottawa about common parts/repair costs. There is a step up in repair costs from the commodity VWs to the higher-end VW/Audis. If it is anything my old allroad, I'd steer clear. Man that car was a PIA to work on.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Having spent a great deal of time under my touareg doing exhaust, changing diff and transfer case fluids...and usually when ever its on the lift i go under and check it all over.

I can say this is built at a WAY higher level then a jetta or golf....are replacement items more? sure its a truck technically has big brakes, bigger tires etc.

That beings said the touareg is built with the cayenne and a great deal of time, engineering and planning went into the t3+ unit....everyone is quick to say oh its expensive and it will cost alot when it breaks etc but 99% of them have never owned one. Aside from typical adblue heater issues the t3+ platform is super bulletproof just go on a touareg forum they just have little to no issues. I bought mine at 100k and it now has 160,000kms and ive done nothing aside from regular service and its been flawless and i really dont see how you can get a much better vehicle. I had a low km mk4 and a brand new mk6 jetta and this blows them out of the water in terms of quality and has been every bit as reliable. Its more like a bargain Porsche then a vw.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Talk to MJHandy - he's liking his, but has had some issues.

Mine is an 09, so it's had age issues.

AdBlue heater went, and i've got VW type things. I need to fix the passenger air bag, and the rear lift gate struts need looked at.

Brakes are due, but I've put close to 100,000km on them.

I bought a US VIN vehicle, and we know how VW Canada thinks of those, but there's no way i'm doing a buy back on it.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Hi all,
Wanted to get some opinions on the 2014 Touareg TDI as I'm considering buying one. Any concerns with them or their engines? I understand some differences are that they have a timing chain, which is supposed to last the lifetime of the engine (or lifetime of the powertrain warranty), and they have lifetime ATF, so no expensive transmission fluid changes. Anything else I should know?
Thanks,
Sophia
If you get the vehicle, and you don't have one, buy a VCDS. First thing i did when I got our Treg.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
g-wagen when you're done with the t-reg, i'd be interested in it

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mine gets under 10l/100 easy...ive seen it as low as 8s....most touaregs have 100L tanks...the 11-13s had 85 but i can still hit 1000kms...with 100 should hit 1200 kms

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
mine gets under 10l/100 easy...ive seen it as low as 8s....most touaregs have 100L tanks...the 11-13s had 85 but i can still hit 1000kms...with 100 should hit 1200 kms
I'm not as good as this. The 09 sips a little more. Still, I've had 800 on the trip and still had a quarter tank.

For the size it's good, but going from the '00 jetta it was a big adjustment.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not as good as this. The 09 sips a little more. Still, I've had 800 on the trip and still had a quarter tank.
For the size it's good, but going from the '00 jetta it was a big adjustment.
yah 8spd helps...little lighter as well. I bet emissions falling off helped as well.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
talk to buzzken he has x5s....if you want lots of power the x5 is better due to sequential turbos therefore more power easier... However if crazy power isnt a big deal the touareg in my opinion is better...better build quality and less to maintain and more reliable. Touareg also is better if you need off road use some times....both are great, touareg can be darn quick but a sequential hybrid turbo x5 is crazy fast.

Ive been in both and in the 2011-2012 i find the touareg much nicer inside and has more standard things included...your best to drive them both really but you wouldnt go wrong with either

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I looked at the X5, Mercedes, Audi Q7, Q5. The Touareg had the nicer interior in my opinion. My biggest deciding factor was ergonomics. Most of these 4x4 vehicles have bad seating / steering / brake pedal alignment. Mercedes and Jeep being the worst, BMW not as bad but not as good as VW and Audi. The issue is the brake pedal is situated to the left of the steering wheel almost where a clutch would be. (the gas pedal is also shifted) This causes you to sit in an awkward sideways position and in my case caused severe Sciatica pain when I had my Grand Cherokee Diesel. See pic in link to depict what I mean, they even shifted the seat to try and compensate... http://www.canadianautoreview.ca/im...l350-bluetec-interior-steering-wheel-dash.JPG

Last edited: