TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
If someone set the cruise at 70 and ran for 195 miles in a fully warmed up 335D that didn't regen during the run, that kind of FE is probably achievable. But I doubt it's representative of mixed driving throughout a full tank.

The cluster on my 335D actually tends to report about 2 MPG lower than hand calculations indicate.
What’s a regen? :ROFLMAO: BTW waving at you from Braintree right now. Heading to Houston tomorrow.

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd GLS; 2010 Jetta 6spd; 2003 Golf 2DR 5spd; 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8DuraMAX
My son just picked up a 2014 328d with just under 80k on the OD. What should I look for or look out for to help him have a great ownership?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Hi all,
It's been awhile since I posted. I now have 181k mile on my 2014 535d xDrive and it is still running great. I'm still very happy with this vehicle.
I recently made a 2 day trip from Michigan down to Lexington to visit my daughter and ran there and back on one tank of fuel- 773 miles. The on-board computer showed 43.3 mpg for the trip, and my hand calculation was 44.65mpg (I always fill to the brim for accurate volume). I kept speed around 5mph above posted limit on the way down there and on the way back I tried to keep it at the speed limit when it was safe to do so (never below the limit, and always above the limit in 55mph construction zones).
My brother recently bought a 2012 golf tdi, and has enlightened me on the CP4 HPFP concerns that plague both of these vehicles. I'm back on here to gather info on what to do about that (for both cars).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My brother recently bought a 2012 golf tdi, and has enlightened me on the CP4 HPFP concerns that plague both of these vehicles. I'm back on here to gather info on what to do about that (for both cars).
I think this issue is greatly exaggerated on the forums. I wouldn't worry about it.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Thanks for the quick reply! He just picked up the car two weeks ago and changed the fuel filter this past weekend. He took a photo of the top of the filter cartridge after pulling the top off. There appeared to be some very light and small particulate on top of the filter cartridge. Any advice? Thanks again.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Same as above. Don't worry about it. The particulates could have been anything. And people have seen shavings in the filter housings occasionally and not had trouble with the pump.

The pumps do fail, but I'd say that it's no more common than rotary pumps failing on older. TDIs.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I recently sold my 335d because it was never driven. I drive my Bronco back and forth to the airport every week. Last month my wife got rear ended in her X3M and I was traveling for business with my Bronco parked at the airport so she had to rent a car. Should have kept the 335d I guess.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

Twinkieflyer

TDI
2002 ALH 5spd
Thanks for the forum link and the suggestion. Rocketchip is very inexpensive but I believe long term I need to prepare for off road deletes. I have purchased a cloned dde and will go back and forth. Rawtech is one place I found.

Unfortunately I am going to have to do most of the work myself as I can’t even get routine service from the local dealer. They simply don’t like diesels and I haven’t been able to find a shop within 200 miles.

Twinkieflyer

TDI
2002 ALH 5spd
None of the places mentioned so far offer off road delete tuning. The forum link did help me find a def injector removal and cleaning thread which is very helpful.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
DUDMD used to. Guy I know here in MA had them tune is X5d and they could get it to show rediness so it would pass MA inspection. The "off road" tuning may not be on their site, but I'd give them a call.

Twinkieflyer

TDI
2002 ALH 5spd
The tuners in Canada do all sorts of stuff. I will try calling.
Also trying to find a dde part number 8588425 so I can have it cloned to match mine. That way I can swap back and forth.
Thanks,
Bill

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
You don't need to delete with a good tune. A proper tune will increase longevity including emissions stuff and improve the ownership experience all around. Look at the reviews on that forum link and ask the users. There's a LOT of junk out there.
In fact you'll likely get a subpar tune that's been swiftec'ed to death, which are very common nowadays. Diagnostic mass murder. Even among the "big names" with fanbros all over the place you see on this forum and others. A big telltale being "we pretty much tune every euro car known to man gas and diesel". That indicates a very shallow and expedient tune, made with something like swiftec that takes 10 minutes, push a button and voila.

Twinkieflyer

TDI
2002 ALH 5spd
Kerma, I have pretty much had it with getting a no start in x miles and being in the middle of nowhere and having to keep the engine running for a couple of days to get home. After this happens one time without warning you pretty much want to dump the car. And the dealer wants $8000 to replace everything in the def system because the injector nozzle is plugged.
I need a spare Ecu just to get home.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I run JR. I've got 3 vehicles in the family that runs his tunes. Zero complaints. Could also contact Santjer Performance (SPD) if you're in the US.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
So can anyone on here tell me why a used 535d x-drive is almost $10k less than the equivalent Audi A6 tdi?
It seems really odd to ke since they were equivalent competitors….
Thanks! Jud

Last edited:

Twinkieflyer

TDI
2002 ALH 5spd
Does anyone happen to know if when you start a 200 mile countdown does it record in the dde or ecu some would say or is it mileage on the cluster?

I really wish I could locate a dealer that wanted to work on diesels and was trustworthy within a few hundred miles from me. Is there a forum I can pursue that?

I was very sorry to lookup N1DAS and find that he had passed away. Incredible loss of knowledge.

Twinkieflyer

TDI
2002 ALH 5spd
I tried the local dealer one more time and he suggested I not put any money into a 2016 535dx with 90k miles. In his exact words the emissions stuff is going to cost more than the car is worth.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
“The emissions stuff” is covered by warranty at that mileage no matter what the dealer is saying.
When I got the dreaded countdown at 50k miles I drove straight to a dealer and was told warranty was expired and they could maybe fox it for $3600. I told them to piss off and got an alphabet delete and a fantastic tune.

Fast forward 2 years and I get a letter from bmw stating anything emissions related was now covered up to 120k miles.

Twinkieflyer

TDI
2002 ALH 5spd
I didn’t get that letter. I asked the guy to check and see about an estimate to fix the car and he said if they were willing he would call me back. Have not heard anything yet. I knew the Nox sensors were covered but when they did the DPF at 78k they told me not to drive the car because if it went past 80k they couldn’t help me.
Never could figure out why they said the DPF was bad, I couldn’t tell any difference after they replaced it.
I haven’t been able to drive the car much because I am always trying to get it fixed.
Oh, and the service advisor suggested I take it to an independent shop to get it fixed! I would if I could find one.
Driving the old and new Jetta TDIs primarily for the last 6 months.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have now owned my 2014 BMW 328D XDrive since 2017 bought it as a CPO off Lease car with 32 K miles now has 72K miles Covid held the Miles down….the car is not deleted or Tuned but is one of the Best cars I have ever owned! I own a total of 4 Diesels and love them all!

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
There is an immaculate 2016 535d for sale near me with 92k miles; with a dealer service history logged every 5k miles. Single owner and every single option ever offered (original MSRP was $90k).

I'm so tempted; but also nervous because $90k BMW with 92k miles. I'm capable of doing my own basic maintenance; my heart is telling me to buy my dream car. But my brain says otherwise.

Thoughts? N57 a good engine?