Beetle TDI Real World MPG

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I still have mine, just rolled 85,000 miles. Averaging 36-37 mpg on my 65 mile commute. I have black soot on my tail pipes so waiting on the check engine light. I changed the base radio to vw navigation radio and added oem style fog lights.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I also have a RNS315 Nav radio waiting for use, just haven't installed it yet due to repeated hospital visits for surgery and physical therapy and some just utter laziness. I also have a set of projector headlights I haven't installed either. Mine was a new stop sale car so low mileage and long warranty. I am hoping the fuel economy will improve some like my other cars when it gets a few more miles on it. My commute is 25 miles one way, almost all highway, but rush hour traffic backups can bring things to a standstill at times.

We used to use my car for all of our trips and such. I have now stopped smoking though and I don't let my wife smoke in mine, so we take her Hyundai Santa Fe instead. So I rarely get the longer highway trips in mine any more, unless I am alone.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
The hardest part of the rns 315 install is removing the ac vent on the driver’s side, i broke mine and had to superglue it back together.

GTOguy

TDI
'13 Beetle TDI 6spd, Rawtek/Malone 2.0 Eco
I just rolled 85,000 on ours also and we get a hand calculated 48 mpg with the cruise set on 70. I can get much better if I keep it around 60.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I just rolled 85,000 on ours also and we get a hand calculated 48 mpg with the cruise set on 70. I can get much better if I keep it around 60.

Are you saying all those driving 80 - 90 Mph and claiming 60 Mpg are wrong?:eek:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Here is my fuelly page.

http://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

Best was 41 mpg and lifetime average of 35.3 mpg. I was doing 80-90 mph coming back from Wichita to Austin last time and there was no way it was going to get 60 mpg at those speeds. Lucky to get 35 mpg doing that. The 41 was going up there mostly at 65 mph on cruise.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Here is my fuelly page.

Best was 41 mpg and lifetime average of 35.3 mpg. I was doing 80-90 mph coming back from Wichita to Austin last time and there was no way it was going to get 60 mpg at those speeds. Lucky to get 35 mpg doing that. The 41 was going up there mostly at 65 mph on cruise.

For once an "Honest" poster!:D

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
I still have mine, just rolled 85,000 miles. Averaging 36-37 mpg on my 65 mile commute. I have black soot on my tail pipes so waiting on the check engine light. I changed the base radio to vw navigation radio and added oem style fog lights.
I never got over 40 on road trips. '99 Beetle. Stock 1.9. I could never solve the EGR fault code with that car for as long as I owned it.(Crashed it in 2013) My current ride is a 2002 Jetta wagon,(VNT-17,.216 injectors,& tune) and I got 46.2 MPG on the most recent road trip, a few weeks back...

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
Just shy of 2 months and 2400 miles on our 2015 Convertible (EA288,DSG), purchased at 32k miles.

Generally running an HPR/D2 blend, shooting for 70% D2 and 30% HPR, but have been winding up with 60/40.

First tank on straight D2 and about 30% long freeway driving was 35mpg...this after the car sat for the better part of 18 months.

Next 4 tanks have been 28-30mpg, nearly all in town driving interspersed with 10 miles at a time on the freeway.

It got a dose of Dieselkleen right away, now dosing each tank with Stanadyne Lubricity(purple) and Powerservice white(3oz). Probably overkill with the lubricity properties of the HPR.
Hoping to make a long trip to see what it can really do.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
My average after 35k of driving is 35 mpg.

After reading your post I looked at my wife's new Tiggy. We usually get 35mpg avg when driving it around, but life time avg is closer to 18mpg. Makes you realize how much efficiency is wasted for all the time the car idles for AC - I go into the store while she waits in the car with both of our toddlers.

Makes a PHEV TDI seem that much better a fit for us. TDI for driving efficiency and electric to run AC, etc. while parked.

On that note our avg for the Beetle before we turned it in was >40mpg.

Jason

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Mine mainly does a 50 mile RT commute and some running around. I have never had it on a long range trip as we use my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe for that.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Right before we turned the Beetle in I was doing a 20 mile round trip (10 morning, 10 night) though town. Posted 45mph highest speed. I noticed 5-10mpg improvement on my Sat to work (once a month) due to traffic.

Jason

BlueAutoGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Back after a long while with no TDI's.

Got myself a 2014 Certified Beetle TDI with 14K on the clock last fall. Enjoying it and getting mid 30s all around.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Over the past week I filled IBW three times, total of 2438 miles, including a trip from MA to WI and back. Total of 48.2 gallons, average of 50.5 MPG. This was running at 75-80 MPH most of the time with A/C on. Not bad for an old car.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
No problem, I like hearing about your car. Nice to know what they can do when taken care of. Little traffic here mostly anyway, so yay!