www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old September 18th, 2018, 17:29   #1
208TDI

Default 2015 Passat Fuel Pump Noise (I think)

Hi all!
My 2015 Passat has made a very noticeable high pitched noise from startup to shutdown, regardless of speed or temperature, since I bought it about a month and a half ago. I didn't think much of it, but recently rode in a friends TDI and his did not have any noise comparable to this, so now I'm curious if it's normal or an issue. I've attached 3 links to youtube videos of audio recordings.
Recording of engine startup with the mic in the cabin of the car, on the floor on the rear passenger side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUESSErQUgQ
Recording of engine at idle with the mic outside the car, under the edge of the vehicle near the rear passenger side tire (where it's loudest):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpTpHNi1t0g
Recording of engine shutdown with mic in the cabin of the car, on the floor on the rear passenger side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNiGRVkotZY
Like I said - it has done this since I bought it. Never changes pitch or volume regardless of speed, temp, amount of fuel in the tank. What do y'all think?
Thanks!
208TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 10:07   #2
jck66
Veteran Member

Related to DEF system? I get a whine from that spot on engine shut-down.
jck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 11:15   #3
208TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66 View Post
Related to DEF system? I get a whine from that spot on engine shut-down.
That is what I'm unsure of - fuel pump or DEF pump. As far as I know both are in that general area. Do both the DEF pump and fuel pump run steady-state from startup to just after shutdown?
Old September 20th, 2018, 06:34   #4
thundershorts
Veteran Member

The fuel pump sound I could not hear on your video. There are no codes for monitoring it except for complete failure, the code will be for low pressure. You could wait till it fails completely fails, which would be a warranty repair or replace it most likely at your expense as I did when it showed intermittent signs of failure in cold weather. My new pump has a different part number than the original, and is virtually silent. Your pump might run forever or it might not. Personally I wasn't willing to chance being stuck on the road somewhere. Others on the forum have reported ocasional abnormal cranking time starting as I did prior to replacing pump. Good luck getting VW to replace it under warranty unless it completely fails.
Old September 28th, 2018, 19:11   #5
2snakes

Fuel Economy: 43-45

My intank pump started whining when the tank was less than 1/4 tank full. It was especially loud in the morning. VW replaced it under warranty last month. Mine is a 2015 with 25,000 miles. I had no extended warranty other than the emission one we all have.

2015 Passat
2snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2018, 06:47   #6
thundershorts
Veteran Member

'snakes do you have the part# from the RO that replaced the original pump? The golf pump part# was a new part number with a sufix AN and was made in a different factory. I suspect VW knew the pumps had some problem otherwise why the change. VW wouldn't pay for my pump so you were lucky they did. I think more than a few have been replaced that we don't know about.
Old September 30th, 2018, 18:51   #7
joshuafail

I have the exact same noise. Asked my service advisor about it when I went in for service last week, they said it was "completely normal"....
joshuafail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 04:44   #8
740GLE
Veteran Member

the in tank pump can be run with VCDS, easy way to pinpoint it.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2018, 06:20   #9
thundershorts
Veteran Member

When I changed my golf to the new pump in Mar 2018, there were less than 5 of the new pumps in the whole country.
Old October 6th, 2018, 10:06   #10
208TDI

Update:

Had my Passat in the shop getting the timing belt tensioner replaced this week. Picked it up this morning and asked the service manager who drove it this morning to verify my belt chirp was gone if he thought the pump was noisy. Said he didn't really pay attention. We went out and started it and he listened to it. Asked if it was constant or intermittent. I said constant. And he said "Yeah...that's not right. We'll get one ordered under the emissions warranty and it'll be here this week."

Much easier than I thought it'd be!
Old October 14th, 2018, 19:53   #11
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

I hear a noticable high pitched whine like clockwork every time my Passats reach less than 1/4 tank. It's the rear pump, and I think it's because the fuel acts as some kind of lubrication and/or the fuel dampens the noise that the pump makes.

If the fuel is refilled, it goes away.

I have 2 2015 Passats and they both do this, not all the time, but only as they reach 1/4 tank. I just wrote it off as normal. One passat has 94,000 miles on it, and has been doing this since day 1.
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote