Loose Axle Nut Cause ?

bisonbrew

TDI
2003 Jetta Platinum
What would cause a loose axle lug nut? I wonder if the work I had done end of February is the cause.....In February, a reputable shop replaced the front passenger cross member and the "control arm-front lower w/o BJ w/ Bushings" after pothole damage. After 1,000 miles of freeway driving in Mid March, another shop diagnosis is typed up as: "Axle bolted axle lug nut bearing destroyed. Damaged ABS sensor". Verbally he said it was loose 5 mm and he was able to realign the ABS sensor, but now I have to replace right front wheel bearing. I'm not sure if all this is connected.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Yes they removed/loosened the nut and never tighten it properly. A loose bolt would destroy the bearing as it relies on this nut to keep it clamped together.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Chances are the shop that did your repair didn't follow the proper torque procedure when they tighten the axle nut, causing it to loosen and destroy the wheel bearing.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Chances are the shop that did your repair didn't follow the proper torque procedure when they tighten the axle nut, causing it to loosen and destroy the wheel bearing.

I suspect he forgot to tighten it properly when the car was on the deck full stop.