Turbo/Exhaust manifold Stud issues

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
I am putting a VNT17 on the PD. When taking out my old turbo I pulled a stud out. It didn't break, but came out clean. I think I saturated the entire area with too much penetrating oil and it loosened up two studs. When I put them back in should I put new ones in, are the old ones fine? What color of lock tight should I use and what is the preferred method?

TIA

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
The old ones are fine to re use. Threadlock is pointless as the first time the car runs for more than 30 seconds it'll be gone. To reinstall the studs in the turbo, thread two nuts onto the stud. Tighten them against each other and use the outer nut to gently snug the stud into the housing, no need to kill it. Then break the two nuts loose and you're good to go!

Did that turbo flange work out for you?

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks.

I have not done anything with it, but it fits up perfectly and looks awesome! I am in the process of changing out the turbo. I am going to make some custom intercooler piping before I do the exhaust. Actually my main priority is the lower intercooler pipe, so I can get rid of the clip fittings.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I am going to replace the nuts, worth it since I have them off. Do they need to be copper or something like that or can I go with stainless to avoid corrosion problems.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well I don't plan on dealing with this in 50k miles but I typically replace fasteners like this when I have parts off. So if I ever do deal with it again I won't have to worry about it being problem.