Timing belt job no start

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Friends, I need your help big time. I did a timing belt job in my 2000 Beetle TDi ALH, now it does not start.
This is my 6th or 7th timing belt job, am not a newbie to this kind of work. I locked everything, I got all the locking tools. Set TDC in the flywheel prior to locking everything. Nothing span during the timing belt job.
Now the motor cranks, but does not start. I get white smoke out of the pipe smells like it is about to start but does not.
I have replaced all the vacuum hoses as well, not sure if some hose might not be connected properly.
I bled the injectors, I am getting fuel to the injectors but no start. I have set the injection pump mechanical timing since it was not starting. Still nothing.
Any clues?
Thank you.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Timing belt no start

Tomorrow I will reset the mechanical timing of the injection pump just to make sure.
Any tips are welcome.
Thank you.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Make sure you're getting the HOLE and not beside the hole when putting the pin in for the injection pump. seems trivial but happens more than you'd think

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Loosen the Sprocket bolts on the IP, then with the 22mm wrench, rotate the shaft of the IP so that the bolts are about centered in the slots. This will get you closer in timing. At this point, it is not necessary to have everything locked and set at TDC.... just do it as it sits.

The smoke indicates timing issue...

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
^^^ That's some pretty cool/useful info!

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Loosen the Sprocket bolts on the IP, then with the 22mm wrench, rotate the shaft of the IP so that the bolts are about centered in the slots. This will get you closer in timing. At this point, it is not necessary to have everything locked and set at TDC.... just do it as it sits.

The smoke indicates timing issue...
Hello Andy. Thank you. I followed your instructions above, she fired right up. I will now drive it for few minutes than I will use my VCDS to set the time correctly.
Thank you for your wise tip. :)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Hello Andy. Thank you. I followed your instructions above, she fired right up. I will now drive it for few minutes than I will use my VCDS to set the time correctly.
Thank you for your wise tip. :)
I'm glad it worked for you.

I always do that procedure after a TB Job, even before attempting to start the engine. I've never had one fail to start. And, they've always been in the ballpark on the Timing Chart ..... :D