New TDI owner in Spring Valley (San Diego area)

mjwilson

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE (bought back 11/28/2016)..adieu
Hey Folk!

Just bought a 2004 Jetta GLS TDI. It's been a wonderful car so far and I'm really enjoying learning about diesels (this is my first one).

The owner's manual is pretty clear about using VW 505.10 oil so I guess the quick lube places are out. That's OK but does anyone have a recommendation for a good dealer in the San Diego area?

I'm not interested in modding my car but would like to do some basic maintenance and upkeep myself. Are there any tools, manuals, etc. you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Mike

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
If you need to buy motor oil, and don't want to bother with mail-order, Drew VW in La Mesa probably has the Castrol 505.01 oil in stock.

I've got a Pela topside extractor, and will be happy to help you out with your first oil change. Just PM me.

If you ever do need dealer assistance, City VW on Morena Blvd or Classic VW in Escondido are probably the two best dealerships in the county. I've never heard anything good about Miramar VW. The others are a coin-flip.

When it's time for new timing belt, plan on traveling up to Wild Rose Motors in Fullerton.

mjwilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks a bunch Tornado!

Your info. helps a lot. I'm just getting aquainted with the owner's manual.

The previous owner had the car serviced (oil change, other usual stuff) at 15,000 mi.. I guess he didn't have to until 20k mi. but now I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and change at 20k mi. to keep "in sync." with the maintenance recommendations....or should I just wait till 25k mi.?

Interestingly, I got a referral to try Miramar based on your input, I'll try dealers you recommended. I hate wasting time with dealers that aren't knowlegable nor helpful.

Soo...timing belt...when does that need to be replaced and should I start saving my $$$ now for it?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
pastormike said:
Soo...timing belt...when does that need to be replaced and should I start saving my $$$ now for it?
Your 2004 Jetta TDI has a TB rated for 100k miles. It would not be a bad idea to have it inspected at about 50k-60k miles, and maybe have the tensioner adjusted. And then maybe inspected again at 80k miles or so. These are not hard and fast mileage numbers, just a ballpark recommendation so that nothing surprisingly catastrophic happens despite your best efforts to follow the maintenance schedule.

I had Harvieux check my current TB when it had about 30k miles on it, and plan to have him take another look next month at about the 70k mile mark. I'm really hoping this one lasts the full 100k miles. My first only went 70k, and then two of the rollers started to fail. But 70k miles for me is about the same number of engine hours as 100k miles for most TDI drivers.

c5loadmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Reflex Silver
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the club. I live in Hemet and used Miramar when I had my Audi A4. They were great for Audi service. I only had one problem with them and it was about the emission system. I forge the part that needed to be replaced and it cost me about $400.00 total. According to the owners manual, it was covered by the warranty, but they charged me anyway. I filed a complaint with Audi HQ and they compensated me for the work. I have never been back there since. In Nov 04 I bought the TDI. I have it serviced at Diamond Vly VW here in Hemet. They have taken care of my wifes 1.8T S/W and have been completely fair and honest. David, the VW mechanic has two diesels of his own so he knows diesels. I am the only one with the PD engine they service.
Concerning the oil, in addition to Castrol, ELF also has the TDI spec oil. You might want to shop around before purchasing any. I paid $70.00 for a case of Castrol at DV VW. They had to order it since they didn't have any in inventory. They then did my 5k oil change for no charge.
Hope to meet at a local GTG. Ask Red about biodiesel if interested. Plovan in Escondido carries it, but haven't installed a pump in their fuel yard yet, bummer.
Robert

mjwilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks C5...

I've been enjoying my TDI and have especially enjoyed the knowlegable community here at TDIclub. Everyone has been very helpful and I'm hoping there'll be a GTG in So. Cal. sometime.

I just got my car's 20K service at Classic VW in Escondido (per TornadoRed's referral). They were wonderful but I'm hoping to do more of the standard maintenance myself. I had to part with $328 for the Classic service!

BTW since you're also living in the TDI "forbidden state", what do we do about the smog tests for our veh. registration?

edit: Nevermind. Using the good ole search feature I found out that CA diesel cars are exempt (after satisfying the >7500 mi. requirement to be a "used" vehicle). Hope the exemption lasts!

Peace,
Mike

Last edited:

c5loadmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
Mike,
There was a GTG with a group of guys at Griffith Park with the LA group. It was worth the drive from Hemet. MudShark who put the GTG together is out of commission until 15 April as he is doing taxes for his clients. So, probbly in May there weill be another one there. T-RED was was trying to do a GTG for SD and since I'm not far from there I would participate there also. Occassionally I drive down to Pearson Ford Fuel and buy to B20 for the TDI.
Have a Happy New Year.
Robert

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
c5loadmaster said:
T-RED was was trying to do a GTG for SD and since I'm not far from there I would participate there also.
Actually, I'm not. I don't have a place and I don't really know anyone who has a place. Or maybe I'm just not ready to take the lead.

c5loadmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
Red,
Let me check with Andy at Plovan Oil in Escondido. Maybe we could use their fuel yard for a few hours on a Saturday and they could supply some B20. I'll call him this week to see what he thinks about such an arrangement. I would think maybe 15-20 TDI's
Rob

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You know, about 2-3 blocks north of Plovan Oil, on Valley Parkway about 1 block west of Centre City Parkway, there's a transit center and huge parking lot for commuters. It is totally unused on weekends. I think as long as we didn't make or leave a mess, no one would mind if we used it as a meeting-point.

c5loadmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
Gee Red, I see you are sitting at your computer also. Such a fast response. I'll need to get a Escondido street map from AAA and maybe drive down and check it out. I could probbly to that on a return trip from Miramar MC Base this week. I was hoping that Andy might get his buns in gear and get the B20 pump installed at the yard. He was working with a retailer in Poway and Encenaes (sp) but has not had any response. I have never driven into LA to a town Cadahy as there is a retailer there.
Later
Rob

mjwilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys!

I'd be willing to host a GTG but I'll need lots of guidance and help. I can primarily provide the place (my church has a good size parking lot and near major highways), provide grill/s for a BBQ, a great place to show videos, kitchen, bathroooms, etc., etc..

The address is:
Grace Covenant Church
9140 Akard St.
Spring Valley, CA 91977
(you can use your favorite mapping link to see precisely where this is)

Just to get the ball rolling...mid. Feb or early Mar. would be good early dates to consider.

I imagine there'll be many ?'s, give me a call (619) 726-3425 (cell) or (619) 267-7090 x102 (church). I can only give help about the place and dates as I don't know what content is usually included in GTG...someone here will have to handle that end of it.

Let me know...

Mike

c5loadmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Mike,
I just returned from Diamond Valley Motors here in Hemet. I was having my wifes station wagon serviced. When I arrived they advised me that they are no longer a VW dealer, bummer. I guess I need to check out the dealer in Muretta as they are owned by Classic VW. There is also a dealer in Riverside and one in San Juan Capastrano, and I have been told that they were really into diesels when VW sold them in So Cal. They are a little far, but will need to check them out.
have a great week and will keep in touch.
Robert