Volkswagen Pickup to have 2.0 TDI powerplant

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
According to AutoBlog Argentina VW's new Pickup will likely to have a 2.0L TDI power with around 170hp / 125kW @ 350Nm of torque.A Flex fuel (ethanol) powerplant is also under development for the Brazilian market. Why can't this come to the US market?

Source VWVortex / http://argentinaautoblog.blogs....html

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Unless it's coming to the U.S.,I could care less what to hell they are building for other countries....

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
jettafock said:
According to AutoBlog Argentina VW's new Pickup will likely to have a 2.0L TDI power with around 170hp / 125kW @ 350Nm of torque.A Flex fuel (ethanol) powerplant is also under development for the Brazilian market. Why can't this come to the US market?

Source VWVortex / http://argentinaautoblog.blogs....html

Why can't this come to the US market?

California Air quality Board

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
You think GM, Ford and Chrysler would allow a 50MPG truck in their midsts?

Get real.

I say let the big three fall and let the Germany, automakers, take over NA.

:D

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
NB_TDi said:

Get real.

Bingo.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I lament the lack of a VW pickup in US also. I tried to buy an older VW pickup caddy, but it is hard to find one clean and to my taste.

I recall last year, when I was in Asia, I got picked up by a VW van TDI....and it was nice. I would buy it in a heart beat if it were offered here.

So we settle for a Honda Odyssey....not that there is anything wrong with it..;)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
john.jackson9213 said:
This is B.S. - VW makes a marketing decision, then you blame C.A.R.B.??? No facts - just B.S. from you!
But CARB is just such a big attractive target.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
NB_TDi said:

Get real.

IMHO, what would really happen (in the U.S. anyway) is that the Asian automakers would continue to take market share and VW would sit on their a$$ and continue to provide OK cars with horrible dealer support.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
The history of VW trucks in this market runs deep with intrigue of trade and tarrif games. Europ once imposed a tax on US chicken imports (the infamous "chicken tax") to which the US replied with a tarrif on Euro trucks aimed squarely at VW.

Yes, VWoA does make the marketing decisions, but with Americans lined up 100 deep to buy SUVs and memories of past trade battles still alive (the tax is still there....

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2006/02/should-the-us-keep-the-chicken-tax.html),

we got the Toe Rag with a V10 TDI instead. Sold better than the Phaeton. Remember that the Rabbit pickup was made in ther US.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
john.jackson9213 said:
This is B.S. - VW makes a marketing decision, then you blame C.A.R.B.??? No facts - just B.S. from you!
So you don't think that "marketing decision" is influenced at all by anti-diesel CARB and EPA regulations increasing the cost of the vehicle to the point that it will not sell enough units to be worthwhile?

Lew

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sportswagen
Here Ya Go 06 Jetta Guy!

06JettaGuy said:
I cant read Spanish.... darnit!!!:D
Argentina Auto Blog, the first pick-up in the history of Volkswagen, which will occur in September Pacheco from and export to all world, has one of the more powerful engines and modern gasoleros segment of medium trucks, a powerful 2.0 TDI with 170 horsepower. You will have 4 cylinders, 16 valves, common rail direct injection, variable geometry turbo and intercooler.

As with many components of the pick-up known as the Robust internal name, the engine will be imported into Germany from the outset. This is not a new machine, it is the same as that already equips the Audi TT Coupe 2.0 TDi. It is likely that the engine receives a number of changes in tuning in to the pick-up provides a higher torque of 350 Nm delivered to Audi.

With these values of power, the Robust could only surpassed by the new Nissan Frontier produced in Brazil, a leading Japanese turbodiesel with 172 hp. Behind would be the Ford Ranger (163 hp, the engine will not change with the restyling that will come this year), Toyota Hilux (163 hp), the Mitsubishi L200 (160 hp) and the Chevrolet S10 (140 hp).

The 2.0 TDi engine equipped versions of the range and ceiling is to be exported to the German market. The robust mechanical gasolera also offer a less powerful and more economical to equip a basic version. Also under study is a variant naftera Flex technology, to work with alcohol in the Brazilian market.

Meanwhile, in the work of Pacheco still armed with the assembly line. Already produced the first two pre units, which are still missing from the interior finishes. Many of the components of the carrier will be manufactured in Germany and Brazil.

Integrated delivery system with electronic transfer of cash will come from Mexico, where the signature will be produced by Magna Powertrain. This is the same plant that makes the transfer of the BMW X5, including all-terrain vehicles.

Finally, it was learned the final design of the Robust present some differences with respect to SAR Concept (photo) which was presented last year at Hanover Hall. The main changes are a notary in the tube, where, according to the trend that marked the latest segment of the chrome-abundarían.

(Thanks to reader ElAle for his contribution to this note)

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Jetta SS said:
We got enough little trucks for sale over here, they'd be wasting their time.
What's the smallest diesel Ford, GM, Chevy and Dodge you can buy... with a diesel?

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
There are no "little" trucks for sale in the US at all. None. After '95 or so all the little trucks became "midsize".

It would be nice to see a small truck for sale again, especially with a diesel.

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
as cool as this little thing is, its not a real truck... No frame, no seperation between the body and bed. It would make a good delivery vehicle for light loads but in no way would it compete with or supplement a real truck. I'd much rather have a wagon with a hitch so i can carry reasonable things and use a trailer to move things too heavy for the car but not heavy enough to need a real truck.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Put a cap on the back and a tow rating for a full aluminum trailer with a 3000lb car and I'll buy it.

Journier

TDI
2004 GLS 68,000 miles Automatic
Mike_04GolfTDI said:
you do know Chrysler was owned by the german automakers you love so much for something like 10 years right?

k. good discussion.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Journier said:
you do know Chrysler was owned by the german automakers you love so much for something like 10 years right?
I forget how much Daimler spent for Chrysler, but Fiat is getting a better deal -- no money down and no payments ever!

Highker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW Man Pano sunroof
UFO said:
There are no "little" trucks for sale in the US at all. None. After '95 or so all the little trucks became "midsize".

It would be nice to see a small truck for sale again, especially with a diesel.
Small (midsize) trucks are common on the roads, with lots of businesses and individuals making use of them. It's too bad diesels aren't available with all the great torque benefits they offer.