1st post

SPOOLED

TDI
pleasenonos
Hello,
This is my first post,and I have a 02' Tdi and just change the oild lastnight,I have been running synthetic oil and plan on continuing to do so,i was wondering what is the best,I'm currently uising Mobil 1 5w-30,but I don't hink this is the best,who makes delvac?ALso does rottela(sp?) make synthetic,I live in ny and commute with my car.Thanks for any info!

P.S.-what oil filters are you using??I have only been able to find Purolators,and the dealer is porbably $$

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Welcome. Sorry to hear your using Mobil 1 5w30, thats perhaps one of the worst oils to run in a TDI!!! no kidding.

Look into Mobil Delvac 1 (5w40) the best oil you can run in a TDI. The oil is as good as Mobil 1 5w30 but it has the correct viscocity to protect the cam and the additives to keep the internals of a diesel clean for a VERY long time.

Use the factory filters. They have proven to be the best filter and from the dealer they are usually around $7.00.

Welcome aboard! and check out the 101 section and FAQ.

DB

SPOOLED

TDI
pleasenonos
Thanks for the quick responce.Where can i buy this delvac?Is it synthtic?If so it looks like I'm gonna have to change the url again.Thanks

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
Congrats on your new TDI and welcome to the forum!

You should be using a full synthetic motor oil rated CH-4, which indicates that it has the right additive package for diesels. VW recommends 5W40 or 5W30 viscosity.

Click on FAQ above and check out the oil section. Most praised around here are Delvac 1 5W40 and Amsoil (various). Shell Rotella does have a full synthetic CH-4 rated 5W40 available, easy to find at Walmart.

Enjoy your TDI!

Autopilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K Jetta 5 spd Canyon Red, 2013 JSW 6MT
Welcome.

It can be difficult finding Mobil Delvac 1. You probably won't find it at your local auto parts stores, or even at most Mobil filling stations. Sometimes major truck stops will have it, but more than often not.

You might find regular Mobil Delvac in some stores, but it is not the synthetic oil that Delvac 1 is. Regular Delvac comes in black gallon jugs, while Delvac 1 comes in silver gallon jugs.

Try looking in your yellow pages under Oils-Lubricating, or in the Automotive-parts section. Look for a biggish looking add for Mobil. Try to find one that claims to be a distributor. They will have it, or can tell you who they distribute Delvac 1 to.

Good luck!!

Rapt

Veteran Member
The other way to get Devac-1 is to buy the repackaged/rebranded Caterpillar 5W40 Synthtic diesel oil... Thats Delvac 1 too....

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
NOCO is a Mobil oil distributor in Kingston.
I drive down from Albany to get my Delvac1!

625 Sawkill Road
Kingston, NY 12401

SPOOLED

TDI
pleasenonos
Thanks for all the info guys,hey velvet foot,do you go to kingston a lot?Have you been to vw parts in Fleiscmhans(sp) Ny?I just got a vr6 clutchthere today for my 1.8t.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Hey SPOOLED drop me an email, I can give you a couple of oil ideas/sources.

I've ordered stuff from 1800VWPARTS (the guys in Flieschmans) before, good prices and service.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
It's a little bit of a drive for me, but if NYTDI says they're good, they're good.

Adirondack Auto Parts is really close to me but unfortunately, they don't have a storefront.