www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old January 4th, 2017, 17:51   #31
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsTDI View Post
In the same group as the Ram, are also Mercedes and the Chevy Cruze...

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...er-doj-request
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hagens...163200629.html
What a load of crap, I bet 1% buy any diesels for clean tail pipe reasons, the rest buy for one thing, MPG.
2003 JSW 1.8T future TDI, silver. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 18:49   #32
CsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B5: 38-40avg/ T2: 25-26avg/A6: 44-47avg

not sure how many more anyone will be able to buy...
Old January 5th, 2017, 06:49   #33
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
I'm just throwing this out there, rotarykid:
you know that repeating the same phrases over and over makes you seem nuts, right?
Your name calling is all well & good, but no one answered the question I posed....

Instead of calling me nuts, why don't one of you address the question I posed..??..

Quote:
Passenger vehicles which were wrongly allowed to be labeled as truck loophole for industrial use class to get around emissions & CAFE laws in place which were sold in the 100s of millions(some loophole class claimed models were sold in the billions) which produced, still produce extreme amounts of pollution above the passenger class rules which should have been required!

So how is what VWAG did any different( no impact on actual air quality anywhere in the US) than what auto makers have for ~3 decades done using the loophole class for industrial use label on what were in fact passenger offerings skirt, ignore and exceed set passenger class vehicle limits by megatons, for close to ~3 decades of exceeding these same emissions laws.. .???????.....

Automakers are still being allowed to sell passenger vehicles labeled as loophole class offerings skirting passenger class CAFE rules! Where is the outrage on this...????....

How is what VWAG did any different( other than there was no real negative impact on actual air quality anywhere in the US)....

Compared to what auto makers have for ~3 decades now done by dishonestly using the loophole class for industrial use label to illegally sell what were in fact passenger offerings....

Passenger class offerings labeled as loophole for industrial use class to skirt, ignore and exceed set passenger class vehicle emissions limits by megatons & allowed to ignore CAFE rules which clearly applied to all passenger class offerings, for close to ~3 decades of exceeding these same emissions laws.. .???????.....
Only difference I see is that VWAG has been tied to the cross for doing this....While .... the EPA & CARB have looked the other way while these real pollution producers have been for ~3 decades now been given a pass@!@

Where is the outrage this deserves, and to me it actually deserves a little outrage,....
Old January 5th, 2017, 07:44   #34
CsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B5: 38-40avg/ T2: 25-26avg/A6: 44-47avg

here is an overview which appears to come pretty much from the EPA website, that briefly describes a kind of allowed barter and trade of bin classifications: https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_t2.php

what's not clear to me is who is allowed to participate in this (both domestic and foreign?) and whether the origin of not meeting bin classification/emissions standards (such as the '06V10TDIs and perhaps the current dieselgate class) was caused by the manufacturer failing to understand and self-assign to a bin class that would allow the real emissions to meet the standards? or not offsetting it with maybe electric models?, or whether their corporate fleet-average emissions was too high.
Old January 8th, 2017, 17:07   #35
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarykid View Post
Your name calling is all well & good, but no one answered the question I posed....

Instead of calling me nuts, why don't one of you address the question I posed..??..

Only difference I see is that VWAG has been tied to the cross for doing this....While .... the EPA & CARB have looked the other way while these real pollution producers have been for ~3 decades now been given a pass@!@

Where is the outrage this deserves, and to me it actually deserves a little outrage,....
I am outraged by our lack of diesel cars. I think we should use European emissions standards instead of EPA standards. Then we could have the same diesel cars that they have.
Old January 9th, 2017, 15:13   #36
Terrific-In-Tahoma
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 3.0/5.1/7.0 Hwy/Avg/City
Default VW (Germany) agrees to cut 30,000 jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_04GolfTDI View Post
The part that is missing is this part of the article:

Quote:
The cuts came with a management pledge to create 9,000 new jobs in the area of battery production and mobility services at factories in Germany as part of efforts to shift towards electric and self-driving cars.
Emphasis is mine.

So, the long term thinking is that by improving the operating margin from 2% to 4%, they will have restored investor and regulator confidence, that the VW brand is not as tarnished, as other brands have become due to shady practices.

Now, If I was part of a region that produced vehicles, and the Consumer Demand warranted a shift, then would you not want the factories to be as efficient as possible?

I would hope that they would do this by a natural course of events, as demand wanes for a certain technology, then that particular segment (of the economy) would become diminished and no longer be competitive.

However, this is a world-wide problem, Population density, and the need to have 1,000s of people move in the most efficient means possible, and be as benign to the environment as possible.

In the urban environment, there will always be different needs, but if you look at the major world city populations, you will see that tailpipe emissions are only one way to restrict and change patterns of traffic use.

The cutting of 30,000 jobs in auto manufacture, means that there are now higher levels of competition for the remaining jobs, to produce x number of vehicles per unit time. (Hour , Shift, Day, Annually).

It is the level of production, with the labor(labour) component now being reduced where the overall cost of a vehicle, is the sum of the parts that go into the delivery of said vehicle.

Now, If the cost to manufacture, a fuel efficient, east to operate vehicle, goes up for one region(Europe) then the impact is that there will be additional demand on the other countries that supply the world market for vehicles, China, S.Korea, Japan, USA, Canada, India.

Since I live in Canada, I cheer for the local team, but unfortunately, for me there is no vehicle that is made domestically that fulfills my needs.

Indirectly, this is good news for the rest of the world-wide auto industry, perhaps, VW might consider opening a new plant in Canada to fulfill the need for the shift to electric and self driving vehicles.

TDIclub.com
Terrific-In-Tahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 09:45   #37
donDavide
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/45/40

What happens when nobody buys the battery powered VeeDubs?
donDavide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 08:04   #38
piotrsko
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 city/56 hwy so far wonder what the Golf gets

not an issue, there will always be a market for anything, although it may be very small. Look at how many safari's they actually sold.
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 11:38   #39
AnotherPerson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1999 Beetle

Ford is coming in strong on some diesel development they are adapting from europe. Problem with battery cars will always be that as more people get them electrictity rates will go up and make it not worthwhile. Unless they put a huge motor like tesla did for performance.
AnotherPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 04:39   #40
MarionCohrs

TDI(s): TDI diesel

there is available in the market but so limited and expect the higher price due to demand rates.
MarionCohrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 10:40   #41
narongc73
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donDavide View Post
What happens when nobody buys the battery powered VeeDubs?
Sucker born everyday.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 19:31   #42
Technician!
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48mpg+ @ 75mph+

Anyone hear anything lately about the EPA and the Colorado river?
Oh, that's right. Do as I say and not as I do.
Technician! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 06:39   #43
wxman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Other Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician! View Post
Anyone hear anything lately about the EPA and the Colorado river?

Oh, that's right. Do as I say and not as I do.
EPA denies $1 billion-plus in claims from toxic Colorado mine spill
wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 07:10   #44
RNDDUDE
Veteran Member

Question

Well, they should be held liable, but come on, 1 billion for lost wages?
RNDDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 08:43   #45
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Good old EPA, hanging VW out to dry while they are doing more damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDDUDE View Post
Well, they should be held liable, but come on, 1 billion for lost wages?
It was for more than that and yeah, can easily see that much having to be paid out.
2003 JSW 1.8T future TDI, silver. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote