www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > TDIFest 2016

TDIFest 2016 Discussion about TDIFest 2016 on the Labour Day weekend (September 2-4, 2016) in Door County, Wisconsin.

Old April 6th, 2016, 04:59   #1
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km
Default TDIFest 2016 is coming to Wisconsin

Good news, everyone! TDIClub is pleased to announce that TDIFest 2016 will returning to Wisconsin, this time in Door County from September 2nd to 4th, 2016.

Besides being TDIFest #16, this year's TDIFest also has something extra special as it will also be marking 20 years since the original webpage that went up starting it all (TDIClub that is).

TDIFest 2016 will be centered around the Lodge at Leathem Smith and all rooms include a free breakfast omelet bar (based on double occupancy). The rates are below:
  • Fishermen’s Village (1 King/2 Queens) - $109/night + tax
  • Standard Rooms (1 King/2 Queens) - $149/night + tax
  • All Suites - $219/night + tax

Our block of rooms (and their rates) end on July 31st and since there is a limited number of rooms (especially the Fisherman’s Village) we highly recommend you book soon. Please note that while this hotel requires a 50% deposit when booking, if something comes up you must cancel your reservation, it is fully refundable (less a $10 cancellation fee) as long you cancel at least 72 hours in advance of your stay. Also we are happy to say that there are a few pet friendly rooms available for those bringing that like to bring their pets.

Hotel booking is now open. To book your room, call 920-743-5555 and say you are part of the TDI group rate. They will be happy to take your reservation.

As a special bonus for you early birds, anyone who books their hotel room AND registers for TDIFest before June 12 will be entered into a draw for one free upgrade to a suite at the lodge.

As was the case last year entrance into any TDIFest will be free for any TDIClub member who is a “Contributor” level or higher. Please note that this is just entrance into the event in general and does not include meals or optional events that require additional fees. Individuals who wish to attend TDIFest will be required to first become a “Contributor” to TDIClub, either prior to the event’s start or at the door. On-site contribution will be possible, similar to how event registration has been available at the door at prior TDIFest events. While TDIClub membership will be available at the door, access to meals and any other limited-attendance events (such as the awards banquet and auction) cannot be guaranteed unless purchased by the pre-registration deadline. There are no other methods by which entry into TDIFest can be obtained.

The registration site for TDIFest 2016 is currently planned to be available mid-May. Details about how to register will be released closer to availability.

Read more about our plans for TDIFest 2016 at http://wiki.tdifest.com in the next few days.

As some have said in the past the journey to TDIFest can be ½ the fun and therefore here are a few ideas for those looking at this aspect for those coming from the east:
  • Take the scenic drive via the upper peninsula that may include an excursion to Mackinac Island rather than south via Chicago
  • Cross lake Michigan from Ludington to Manitowoc on the SS Badger. The SS Badger is the last coal-fired passenger and car ferry operating on Lake Michigan.

We hope to see everyone this Labour Day and stay tuned for future updates.

2010 Golf Highline Wagon (Blue Graphite Pearl)
Aspherical Mirrors

- Past VWs:
2003 Indigo Blue TDI Bora Wagon;1996.5 Black 2.sl0w Golf
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:42   #2
mishkaya
Veteran Member

Count me in!
Old April 6th, 2016, 09:27   #3
ATR
Veteran Member

I'd love to come as well! Need to make sure work is okay with it. Going to be a 2-3 day ride out there depending on which way I take

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:15   #4
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Apologies for the naïve question - when making reservations is check-in on the 2nd and check-out on the 4th? Are activities planned for the 2nd?
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me MY CALENDAR
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:22   #5
mishkaya
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
Apologies for the naïve question - when making reservations is check-in on the 2nd and check-out on the 4th? Are activities planned for the 2nd?
Usually on Friday is check-in and meet and greet as well as a silent auction.
I am planning on a room 2nd through the 4th, with checkout on the 5th, as I don't want to have to travel after the day's activities on Sunday.
Old April 6th, 2016, 13:13   #6
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
Activities start on Friday afternoon at 5pm. The two big days are Saturday and Sunday. More information can be found at http://wiki.tdifest.com

Most people arrive mid-afternoon on Friday and depart on Monday morning, spending three nights at the hotel.

Some people arrive a day or two early, or stay a day or two late in order to take advantage of local attractions and go sight seeing. For anyone interested in doing this, our room rates are good for three days in advance (Tuesday night) and three days after the event (checkout Thursday morning).

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 13:33   #7
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

Thanks guys. Looking forward to it.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me MY CALENDAR
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 18:21   #8
whitedog
Veteran Member

I should probably tell the bossy guy that I'm taking that week off.
See a doctor and get rid of it. - Navin Johnson.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 18:26   #9
Alchemist
Veteran Member

Room reserved, see you in September.
Old April 6th, 2016, 18:49   #10
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Derf View Post
ideas for those looking at this aspect for those coming from the east:
  • Take the scenic drive via the upper peninsula that may include an excursion to Mackinac Island rather than south via Chicago
  • Cross lake Michigan from Ludington to Manitowoc on the SS Badger. The SS Badger is the last coal-fired passenger and car ferry operating on Lake Michigan.
Great ideas! Last year I attended the Sturgeon Bay, WI GTG/Cruise and coming from Southern Ontario I really enjoyed the drive north around lake Michigan over the Mackinac Bridge. This year, depending on how early I can leave home, I might try to work a ferry ride (with a four hour sleep in a $49 "State Room" perhaps?) all I know is I am not driving thru Chicago again.

Half the fun is planning the trip! I did some quick google mapping and if you use Flint, MI from the east as the fork in the road it turns out that whether you go north, south, or take the ferry boat it will still take 8.5 hours to get from Flint to Sturgeon Bay. It might take an extra hour for loading on to the boat, but the reward is four hours of nap time not driving, which doesn't really suit me anyway, unless it is dark, in which case I might as well be sleeping.

edit: I guess what I am saying is that it is up to an hour quicker to just drive around, and possibly more fuel efficient also!

Looking forward to TDIFest!

Also, I hope there will be a cruise planned as part of the fest! (driving cruise that is)

2001 VW Golf TDI 5MT 589,000 km w/ 1" lift spacers on VR6 front springs / OEM wagon towing rear springs / Valeo G60/VR6 SMF /
Mahle VNT15 turbo / Sprint 520's / RC3
TDIclub links: The NARFmobile "re-build" thread / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter
Facebook:
Santos Speed Shop & Day Care Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NarfBLAST

Last edited by NarfBLAST; April 6th, 2016 at 19:00.
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 19:21   #11
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Take the Red Eye Home as there really isn't anything to see in the middle of lake Michigan anyway. The discount for the nighttime ride will cover the cost of the stateroom. It will be daylight when you hit Ludington. Have traveled this numerous times the Big Boat is just a great experience. Usually by the time I have managed to fall asleep within an hour we were there. Many others skip the stateroom and sleep on the deckchairs under the stars in sleeping bags or just blankets. It's cold out there even in the middle of summer
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Michigan.html

Last edited by MichaelB; April 6th, 2016 at 19:26.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 03:37   #12
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Peep the signature

Hoping to make it. However I would need leave for two shifts and that's nearly impossible to get over that weekend.
Old April 7th, 2016, 08:50   #13
MonsterDog
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Great News. All booked.
Old April 7th, 2016, 15:47   #14
BleachedBora

Sounds good, looking forward to it! We'll have the usual parts and Malone Tunes
-BB
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 18:59   #15
deegingerkid
Beware the Ginger! Vendor

Fuel Economy: 38-44 depending on lead-footed-ness and highway/city proportion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Take the Red Eye Home as there really isn't anything to see in the middle of lake Michigan anyway. The discount for the nighttime ride will cover the cost of the stateroom. It will be daylight when you hit Ludington. Have traveled this numerous times the Big Boat is just a great experience. Usually by the time I have managed to fall asleep within an hour we were there. Many others skip the stateroom and sleep on the deckchairs under the stars in sleeping bags or just blankets. It's cold out there even in the middle of summer
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._Michigan.html

I'd be all about that nighttime ferry trip just for the view of the stars! Must be a stunner!

Hoping to be there, lots up in the air. SUPER HAPPY to see one planned for sure.
deegingerkid is offline   Reply With Quote