www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old November 11th, 2011, 07:29   #1
Chris Tobin
Veteran Member

Default TDIFest 2011 Coverage in Diesel World Magazine...

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let you know that the January 2012 issue of Diesel World magazine is on the newsstand now. It has the event coverage for the 2011 TDIFest from Lexington, KY as well as a VW TDI feature article and a tech article covering the clutch upgrade and short shift kit install.

Pick up a copy and let me know what you think about the coverage we're giving to the TDIs. I think you'll like it! Atleast I hope so!!!

Take care,
Chris
Chris Tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:47   #2
loganbmx4gt
Veteran Member

Nice! I'll go get it today.

loganbmx4gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 08:29   #3
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Chris

I just read your (excellent) "VW TDI Spotter's Guide" article here: http://www.motortopia.com/dieselworl...559/#more-3559

I have one minor correction. The CBEA engine was only used in 2009. In the 2010 model year they changed to the CJAA engine. The horsepower and torque are identical, but there were some minor changes to balance shaft design and a few other tweaks. The new 2012 Passat uses a different configuration of the 2.0L TDI and it is called a CKRA.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Now all I have to do is find someplace that sells Diesel World Magazine.
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 08:50   #4
Chris Tobin
Veteran Member

Thanks for the corrections... Glad you liked the article, it was really aimed at the Truck guys that are thinking about selling their truck or getting some other daily driver to cope with the high fuel prices. I think it will still help those guys pick out a TDI and bring them into the fold, which will be good for all of us as they will mod them too and that will help the TDI performance industry as well and will in turn give us more and better parts available in the not too distant future.

Sorry I missed those differences. Also as of press time (around 4 months ago) there was almost no info available on the 2012 Passat other than it would have a TDI available and it was the same displacement as the other CR TDIs...

Almost every Walmart carries Diesel World and it is also available from most book stores. I have seen it at several other locations too but those are the easiest. It does sell out quickly on the newsstands around here anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
Chris

I just read your (excellent) "VW TDI Spotter's Guide" article here: http://www.motortopia.com/dieselworl...559/#more-3559

I have one minor correction. The CBEA engine was only used in 2009. In the 2010 model year they changed to the CJAA engine. The horsepower and torque are identical, but there were some minor changes to balance shaft design and a few other tweaks. The new 2012 Passat uses a different configuration of the 2.0L TDI and it is called a CKRA.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Now all I have to do is find someplace that sells Diesel World Magazine.
Old November 15th, 2011, 06:16   #5
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

Chris,
Thanks for your work on getting that great article about TDIFest 2011 in Diesel World magazine. I know I've got my copy.

It's great to see the more exposure for the TDIs in a magazine that has traditionally been focused on the truck side of the diesel world and it is probably a good opportunity for both types of diesels users to see what each are doing.

I'm looking forward to reading more about TDI's in upcoming issues of Diesel World.

It was also great to see that multi-page write up in there on the winner of this years Best of Show and People's Choice from the car show, the "Green Goblin".

2010 Golf Highline Wagon (Blue Graphite Pearl)
Aspherical Mirrors

- Past VWs:
2003 Indigo Blue TDI Bora Wagon;1996.5 Black 2.sl0w Golf
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:18   #6
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

I have a minor but important correction to the TDI spotter guide.

Where torque values are specified, the units of torque are incorrectly listed in pounds per foot (lb/ft), i.e., pounds divided by feet. Torque should be listed in foot-pounds (ft-lbs), i.e., feet times pounds or in pound-feet (lb-ft), i.e., pounds times feet. Torque units in metric would be Newton-meters (Nm). While feet per pounds (ft/lbs) and pounds per foot (lbs/ft) are valid units, they are NOT the units of torque at all and each describe something physically different from torque. An easy way to remember it is that torque is always a force times a distance or a distance times a force.

Great TDI spotter guide!
Member SSBMWO

Why DIESEL is better:
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/efficiency.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/performance.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2014.html
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions2016.html

Last edited by n1das; November 17th, 2011 at 09:27.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 15:19   #7
Chris Tobin
Veteran Member

Wow, good eyes. I typically write lbs-ft in my articles. Evidently someone "corrected" it once it was turned in. Al least we ALL know what it means! Thanks for reading!
Old November 18th, 2011, 17:17   #8
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Chris, thanks for the coverage. Obviously a wise investment on our part...

Seriously, hope to see you at the next TDIFest.

Bruce
NOTE: I'm a little bit broken for awhile longer. Can still help with some things.....
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:39   #9
ACHTUNG TDI
Veteran Member

I was in Barnes & Noble yesterday checking out various automobile magazines when a cover headline caught my eye: TDI TECH - Short Shifter install; Heavy Duty Clutch. I picked up the magazine and it was the January 12 issue of Diesel World. I checked out those two articles then saw the coverage of TDI Fest 2011.

It was great to read the coverage of the Fest as well as the two tech articles. I bought that issue, and I hope they'll be more passenger diesel coverage in future issues. It was great to see coverage of our TDIs in the more traditional US diesel vehicle magazines.
ACHTUNG TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:51   #10
Jim W

Fuel Economy: 33.5 average

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHTUNG TDI View Post
I was in Barnes & Noble yesterday checking out various automobile magazines when a cover headline caught my eye: TDI TECH - Short Shifter install; Heavy Duty Clutch. I picked up the magazine and it was the January 12 issue of Diesel World. I checked out those two articles then saw the coverage of TDI Fest 2011.

It was great to read the coverage of the Fest as well as the two tech articles. I bought that issue, and I hope they'll be more passenger diesel coverage in future issues. It was great to see coverage of our TDIs in the more traditional US diesel vehicle magazines.

Both Diesel World and Diesel Power have been running articles on the Jetta TDI's for several months now.
My wife see them on the coffee table and tells me do not get any ideas on modifying HER car. I can do anything to my truck within reason but not her car.
Jim W.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:11   #11
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tobin View Post
Wow, good eyes. I typically write lbs-ft in my articles. Evidently someone "corrected" it once it was turned in. Al least we ALL know what it means! Thanks for reading!
Chris I know how you feel when editors 'correct' your copy. I have had names mis-spelled often when an editor thought, "that in no way could be the spelling". Then the next day the individual would complain and a correction would be run. Beautiful part is that it is then claimed the 'editor's' error instead of the photographer's error.

We had a story about a local CEO last week and I had his name spelled correctly in the cutlines and the reporter flubbed. At least in the photos it was right!
2005 Passat GLS TDI, 201k miles, or 323478KM. Now a daily driver Chainless and Gear Driven via the procedure by Oilhammer 06/17/2009, ngk hybrid glowplugs, Chainless and proud of it! Mileage?....adequate I just wish the new TDIs weren't so complex and controversial.

Last edited by leicaman; November 22nd, 2011 at 08:57. Reason: english
leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 21:22   #12
Nash_TDI
Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 63.25mpg max

Finally picked up a copy, and found a nice picture of my car on the rollers. Sweet!
PD Cam tools, BSM tool, VE & PD TB tool rental available.
Nash_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 19:34   #13
stevebanks

Default I got my car in also!

I was trilled to see my black 1999 MK 4 picture in the magazine...the one with black billet engine bay caps, carbon fiber engine cover, and exor wheels.
Old December 27th, 2011, 06:38   #14
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Damn! I missed it! I checked the news stand and they already have FEBRUARY. I just noticed the OP had his JAN issue in mid-November. What's with the mags these days? Would someone be willing to scan the article and e-mail me at Ste@lthTDI@cox.net? Fix the @ to "a". Or is there perhaps an online link? Thanks!
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:37   #15
jbleu101
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 Avg for mixed driving

I just ordered 5 copies. 4 of them are for sale. $9 includes paypal fees and shipping.
Rocketchip Stage II
Garrett VNT-17
Bosch T4 Transporter Injectors
VR 6 Clutch 18# flywheel
5 Speed, Cold Weather Package, TDI Heater
OEM Steel Skidplate, Audi TT front anti-sway bar
ON CCV, ON SS Filler Cap (MIA)
Vented, Coolant Migration Mod
50% Front, 38% Rear tint (OH Legal)
Euro Switch, Rear Fogs
GTI 25th AE headlights w/leveling
157,000 Miles 7/04/2010