www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2012

TDIFest 2012 Discussion about TDIFest 2012 on the Labour Day weekend (August 31st to September 2nd, 2012) in Ypsilanti (Ypsi), Michigan.

Old August 25th, 2011, 21:12   #1
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km
Default TDIFest 2012 -Looking for Expressions of Interest

Hi Everyone,

Since TDIFest 2011 is almost upon us, it is never too early to start thinking about TDIFest 2012. Often there is a lot of talk about where TDIFest should be, but the reality is the key is the WHO and not the WHERE.

With that in mind I'm starting the selection process of a little differently this year buy requesting for an "expression of interest" by a group interested in hosting and planning the next TDIFest. I will then work with the groups to see if a viable proposal can be put together.

With this in mind the first thing I'm looking for is an "expression of interest" which is easier to put together and will require the following:
  • At least five(5) TDIClub members who are are willing to work together as a group to hosting the next TDIFest.
  • The location you think would work for the next TDIFest and where at least of the group lives nearby.
  • A few reasons why this location would be a good fit

Given that a perfect opportunity to network with TDIFest organizers is coming next week at TDIFest 2011, I am asking that these expressions of interest be submitted by September 1st. If one or more of your group is present at TDIFest 2011, we can use this opportunity to network with some previous organizers to your group put together a good proposal.

After that the next step will be to put together an official proposal and send it to me. I will then select the next group and location from the submitted proposals. For details on what is required for the proposals, please check out last years thread on putting together a proposal..

If you have any questions fire me an email or PM and remember the expressions of interest are due by September 1st.

Thanks

Fred who is looking forward to seeing where he might be going next year.

2010 Golf Highline Wagon (Blue Graphite Pearl)
Aspherical Mirrors

- Past VWs:
2003 Indigo Blue TDI Bora Wagon;1996.5 Black 2.sl0w Golf
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 15:20   #2
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Formally expressing interest in Ypsilanti, Michigan for 2012. Will discuss plans with some of the Michigan locals at Fest this year.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 15:24   #3
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubtdi View Post
formally expressing interest in ypsilanti, michigan for 2012. Will discuss plans with some of the michigan locals at fest this year.
+1 go ypsi!
Old August 29th, 2011, 23:07   #4
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!

I say New England...fun, cheap and easy to fly into and out of, lots of interesting places to go and things to do......

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

You will get NOTHING! And you WILL be GRATEFUL!
mrchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 13:37   #5
manual_tranny
Smyth Performance- Intern

Fuel Economy: Is just one piece of the puzzle that is our bottomless appetite for oil. Cars donít have to be consumable. Instead of throwing them away, we can rebuild them, better. We have the technology.

Michigan local expressing interest in doing any local legwork necessary for the proposed Ypsi Fest.
manual_tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 17:13   #6
loganbmx4gt
Veteran Member

Tennessee native that could help with planning between Memphis and Nashville.

loganbmx4gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 14:02   #7
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Michigan would be fun.
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 20:45   #8
giantsaam

Fuel Economy: 35-41 Auto, 41-45 5spd

I think a mountain run in Colorado would be fun.
Old September 4th, 2011, 15:30   #9
glitdi
Veteran Member

Fred I would like to put my hat in the ring for the G.R.V.D. area... Let me know if its too late...

OCD Member #4
glitdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 21:20   #10
blu_jet_92
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Sedan
Fuel Economy: Torque > MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_tranny View Post
Michigan local expressing interest in doing any local legwork necessary for the proposed Ypsi Fest.
:thumbs up:
blu_jet_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 19:23   #11
CGDoig
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg avg, 50 best

Michigan would be ok for western Canada too. +1 for Colorado, would be very good for family too. X1 million for G.R.V.D. I don't live near there anymore but I'm more than willing to help in any way.

Last edited by CGDoig; September 6th, 2011 at 19:29.
CGDoig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 19:33   #12
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsaam View Post
I think a mountain run in Colorado would be fun.
I talked to two of the regional VW clubs leadership, large groups a few years ago to see if they were interested in helping put on a front range TDIfest and got positive response. The only problem was I had trouble getting much local TDIclub membership support.

I have personal experience of being on the Rocky Mountain Dart Ass. board of directors putting on the yearly $15k-18k annual dart tournament in Denver. So I have a good idea of what is involved in doing an event like this.

But unless we can put together a local committee willing to do the work involved in having the fest here it will never get off the ground..........That said, if we can come together ( at least 8-10 of us )and have a couple of exploratory meetings in the Denver area of local TDIclub members I'm there.
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:32   #13
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Hmmm,

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Formally expressing interest in Ypsilanti, Michigan for 2012.
I have a really good feeling about this place. MI is one of the states I still need to "conquer" in my TDI. I feel another epic road trip plan brewing...

Scott
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 15:24   #14
TDI Stevestr
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarykid View Post
I talked to two of the regional VW clubs leadership, large groups a few years ago to see if they were interested in helping put on a front range TDIfest and got positive response. The only problem was I had trouble getting much local TDIclub membership support.

I have personal experience of being on the Rocky Mountain Dart Ass. board of directors putting on the yearly $15k-18k annual dart tournament in Denver. So I have a good idea of what is involved in doing an event like this.

But unless we can put together a local committee willing to do the work involved in having the fest here it will never get off the ground..........That said, if we can come together ( at least 8-10 of us )and have a couple of exploratory meetings in the Denver area of local TDIclub members I'm there.
I agree. Threw feelers out there for Colorado and not much of a response. If you ever get anything going I'd be glad to be on the board.

5K149M 2011 Golf 4-DR 2.0L TDI Auto Exterior: A1A1 - Black / Interior: KA - Titan Black
Options: 9VE Dynaudio; 9W7 Bluetooth; GTM Rubber Mats and Chrome Exhaust (Port); P71 Navigation (310); P83 Xenon Headlamps; W79 Cold Weather Package
Mechatronics: 1 / Transmissions: 1 (14,200 Mi) ** VCDS/VAGCom Available **
TDI Stevestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 19:32   #15
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitdi View Post
Fred I would like to put my hat in the ring for the G.R.V.D. area... Let me know if its too late...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGDoig View Post
X 1 million for G.R.V.D. I don't live near there anymore but I'm more than willing to help in any way.
The sun sets earlier on this coast, so I was probably asleep when that acronym was created.
Can you help identify the location?
Please?
And soon
because all I can think of, and I KNOW it's not correct, is that GRVD signifies the Greater Richmond-Vancouver Dump

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote