www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2006

TDIFest 2006 Discussion about TDIFest 2006.

View Poll Results: What type of tourist opportunity would you like at the site of the next Fest?
Planners should plan 1-2 activities in the general vicinity of the next Fest for us. 11 29.73%
Be sure there are a variety of tourist-y things nearby. I will plan what I do on my own. 11 29.73%
I don't care what's nearby. I just want to hang at the hotel with the rest of my TDI buddies. 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 5th, 2006, 08:45   #1
Hamsterdiesel
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!
Default To help future planners of TDIFests

I thought this would be a good time and forum to post this poll to help future fest planners.

It is important to gauge how interested fest attendees are in 'tourist' type activities in the area surrounding the site of the Fest. This will help direct the planning efforts of future coordinators.

I'd also like folks to comment on whether or not you'd expect the planners to 'plan' activities for you, or if you are more likely to plan on your own. Should the planners just make sure there are options for you to choose from?

Please limit your comments to this topic. Please don't go off into what you did & didn't like about this and previous Fests. Let's try to keep this focused only on the tourist activity question.

Thanks!
1965 Plymouth Barracuda - with the Leaning Tower of Power!
Hamsterdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:06   #2
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Guess who made the first post?????
I just like to hang with my friends and new friends!
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2001 Jeep Cherokee silver
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:10   #3
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

Remember the committee will NOT enjoy much of the Fest! Plan plan plan and get accurate QUOTES for everything. Quotes are the only way to adjust for costs. Also be timely late is late and you can not recover from late.
PeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:24   #4
compu_85
Gadget Guy

One activity could be fun, but loafing around with other TDIers is the whole point of the fest right?

-Jason
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 10:09   #5
Leo819
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45.5/35
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366
I just like to hang with my friends and new friends!
yes, most definitely. glad to be an attendee next year and have a blast

Leo819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 12:03   #6
savd4one
Veteran Member

how about let the planners plan the fest. they're the ones that know the area the best.
savd4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 16:00   #7
kpaske
Veteran Member

I want to go to a TDI Fest - the last one was too far for me, being on the West Coast.

If I have to drive a good distance, I'd prefer to spend a couple of days in the area sightseeing, so somewhere in the vicinity of something interesting would likely draw a larger crowd. Just my 2 cents. Oh, and I don't need anyone to plan anything for me.
Old October 6th, 2006, 16:53   #8
brucetmoose
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42-winter, 46-summer
Default Make sure people have choices

Julie - good question - when I was planning on attending, I liked the fact there was a few activities outside the site that were available - the beer trip, etc.

My feeling is that the planners should try for 1 and 2 at the abosolutely most activities that feature their place. I like to learn about a place that I am visiting. I also like to hang too, so I could have checked all 3 boxes on that question.
Demand 50/50 now! (50 MPG in all 50 states)
You can get any TDI you want at Alice'sDealership
brucetmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 17:49   #9
TDI Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterdiesel
Should the planners just make sure there are options for you to choose from?
No - I make my own options up but you already know that, right?
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 12:36   #10
Hintertux
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42

Thoughts for future TDI Fests

Get some attention from national News broadcasts. Bring Honda in they might want to introduce their Honda Diesel there.
Work in several spots around the country where you can have folks meet and travel from. Plot out Fuel stations for everyone, make sure there are BIO Diesel pumps available. Imagine 50 miles of TDI on the highway all going to Disney or else where. I live in Panama City Beach, FL and would probably come down, if my wife lets me.

Think of a catchy title like TDIour de America if you use it just give me credits. or a free shirt...

Work up a bandana for everyone to where around so you know who is a TDI'er.

Labor day is going to be way to many folks in Disney, shoot for an open weekend. If folks are driving they have to take off more than one day anyway.

Try to get some endorsments form Redline fuel additives and Optima batteries and other things that we talk about on TDI.

Get that girl who wrote the book on BIO Diesel to do a seminar on how to make your own.

I don't like him but get Willie Nelson and his BIO Diesel delivery system, maybe you can get some for free.
Hintertux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 22:26   #11
WPB TDI FRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterdiesel
It is important to gauge how interested fest attendees are in 'tourist' type activities in the area surrounding the site of the Fest. This will help direct the planning efforts of future coordinators.

I'd also like folks to comment on whether or not you'd expect the planners to 'plan' activities for you, or if you are more likely to plan on your own. Should the planners just make sure there are options for you to choose from?
For me, the location must have a "tourist" appeal (whether it be based on history, geography, landmarks, entertainment, etc.). From there, I can pretty much figure out what my agenda will be. Thus, I don't expect planners to plan out ALL activities for me. Not everyone wants to be smelling diesel for 3 consecutive days; though I understand that it is supposed to be "mmmmm, diesel-licious...".....
WPB TDI FRED is offline   Reply With Quote