www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2006

TDIFest 2006 Discussion about TDIFest 2006.

Closed Thread

Old October 25th, 2006, 14:19   #31
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

Besides Colorado there is another group that is working on finishing some stuff off. As stated above. If you want it in your backyard, follow the instructions and get your plans and proposal together. Then get it to me by the deadline.
Old October 25th, 2006, 20:02   #32
BKmetz
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPB TDI FRED
Since you asked, I respectfully answer with a clear: NO.
The 2005 fest was in Lake Mills WI (pop. ~4800) which is VERY rural, quite Mayberry-ish. Yet with all the lack of things to incorporate the fest was a success. People come for the company and cars. The Philly fest was the rain fest. You couldn't do anything Friday or Saturday but hang out at the hotel. Did that stop anyone from having a great time, HELL NO! People came for the company and cars.

Most people will never leave the hotel or the central location. Where the cars are is where the action is and where the people are hanging out. If the area has a nice restaurant & bar, the guys are happy. A local mom & pop place will do. The wives and kids only need a park with a playground. People will find their own entertainment. Big cities are no guarantee of a successful fest. Just my opinion.

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
Old October 25th, 2006, 20:35   #33
TeDeEye1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: over all for 40000 / 46mp
Smile I'll second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmetz
The 2005 fest was in Lake Mills WI (pop. ~4800) which is VERY rural, quite Mayberry-ish. Yet with all the lack of things to incorporate the fest was a success. People come for the company and cars. The Philly fest was the rain fest. You couldn't do anything Friday or Saturday but hang out at the hotel. Did that stop anyone from having a great time, HELL NO! People came for the company and cars.

Most people will never leave the hotel or the central location. Where the cars are is where the action is and where the people are hanging out. If the area has a nice restaurant & bar, the guys are happy. A local mom & pop place will do. The wives and kids only need a park with a playground. People will find their own entertainment. Big cities are no guarantee of a successful fest. Just my opinion.
I'll second that

TDI Fest 05, 06, 07. 08, 09, 10, 11,12, 13.
Old October 25th, 2006, 21:09   #34
WPB TDI FRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366
If he gets no proposal, I assume that means there will be no fest..........
I understand the FL bid went bust,so that's out......
I would be bummed also, I have been to all of them but 1!but the fest is a large undertaking and it takes a dedicated group of committed people to pull it off !! go to any of the previous organizers and ask....They will tell you
Mr. Tomo:
What is the factual basis for your understanding that the "FL bid went bust" ?? I don't understand that at all. It's my impression, from reading the various posting relating to the bid process for the 07 Fest, that the Florida gentleman working on a Florida proposal is doing quite well, and the proposal is well coordinated.
Old October 25th, 2006, 21:50   #35
WPB TDI FRED

Quote:

I respect your opinion, and I do agree that a big city is not a guarantee to anything. However, some of the attendees may choose to do something other than to stay in the hotel 24hrs a day for 3-4 consecutive days without exploring the area. I can't honesty say that the King of Prussia / Philadelphia was a "rain fest" or a waste. There was plenty to do and see around the hotel area, the historical surroundings, and in the city. And who could drive to Philly and not have a cheesesteak sandwich at Jim's Steaks or Pat's Steaks?

Every area has something unique to offer, but the location should have significant choices to offer the attendees in order for them to "find their own entertainment" to supplement Fest activities. Who in their right mind would like the choices to be limited to either going in the woods to hunt for bears or stay in the campground and get bitten by a rattlesnake. ???

Last edited by WPB TDI FRED; October 25th, 2006 at 21:52.
Old October 26th, 2006, 00:23   #36
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 @ 65 & getting better...
Unhappy '07 GTG in Florida ?

So here "we" are...
Get bitten by rattlesnakes or croccodiles and/or falling into a swamp,
take your pick!

I cannot see going so far away from my home to see so many desolate miles on my odometer... and a week behind the wheel!

Maybe somewhere in the middle, like Kansas or Missouri & Chicago itz, OK!

PS. I still like Pagosa...
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:14   #37
BKmetz
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPB TDI FRED
I respect your opinion, and I do agree that a big city is not a guarantee to anything. However, some of the attendees may choose to do something other than to stay in the hotel 24hrs a day for 3-4 consecutive days without exploring the area. I can't honesty say that the King of Prussia / Philadelphia was a "rain fest" or a waste. There was plenty to do and see around the hotel area, the historical surroundings, and in the city. And who could drive to Philly and not have a cheesesteak sandwich at Jim's Steaks or Pat's Steaks?

Every area has something unique to offer, but the location should have significant choices to offer the attendees in order for them to "find their own entertainment" to supplement Fest activities. Who in their right mind would like the choices to be limited to either going in the woods to hunt for bears or stay in the campground and get bitten by a rattlesnake. ???
I'm of the mindset that you have expectations that no organizer is ever going to meet.

You state that you are undecided if the Philly fest was a success or not. That is a very telling statement. The simple truth is that it was an overwhelming success! The organizers pulled it off. It did happen as it was planned to. There was record attendance. The auction raised a respectable amount of money. Vendors sold products & services. Cars were worked on. Sunday it cleared up and the "Show & Shine" was held along with the rally. The majority of attendees refused to let the rain dampen their spirits, dismissed the adversity, moved on and had fun.

Monday Fred, TDIinRI, another guy ( I forgot your name, sorry), and I did venture into Philly and went to the Mutter Museum and hit Jim's for the real-deal Philly Cheese Steak sandwich. It was great but getting downtown and parking was not easy to negotiate even on a holiday.

I've been to 5 out of 7 fests now and I have never been disappointed. I kept my expectations simple and that was the key. Every fest has had something go wrong despite the best intentions of the organizers.

If you are undecided that the Philly fest is a waste or not, then you would have hated the Lake Mills fest. Lake Mills was a hard-core wrenching fest. You would have had to invent your own entertainment pretty much all of the time.

Quote:
Who in their right mind would like the choices to be limited to either going in the woods to hunt for bears or stay in the campground and get bitten by a rattlesnake. ???
With this statement I don't know what you are saying except showing your contempt for someone's fest idea with unwarranted sarcasm. You still have your trump card to play. Submit your proposal for a FL fest. This is your baby. Make it the biggest most successful fest ever! Show all those other fest organizer slackers that their efforts were lame, sub-par, inferior, etc. Raise the bar! This is your moment. Carpe diem!

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:57   #38
WPB TDI FRED

Quote:
You state that you are undecided if the Philly fest was a success or not.
Hey Brian: I'm sure I did not say that. The posting speaks for itself. On the contrary, I think the King / Philly was very much a success. And, in addition to the Fest activities, there were many other local attractions.

ANYWAY, I've used up my penny on this issue, and I'm a nickle over.
Bottom line is that Anywhere, USA or Canada will have their own particular merits, positives and negatives.

ps. If you're a Florida GATOR, you don't have to worry about being gator bait.

Last edited by WPB TDI FRED; October 26th, 2006 at 14:31.
Old October 26th, 2006, 16:12   #39
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

To tell the truth, I enjoyed Lake Mills best of the three fests I have attended. Nice simple motel with great rates and free internet. Friendly local folks (except for the tax collector scam). Wrenching as needed. I worked my butt off, and enjoyed every minute of it!

Nice small town restaurants. A TDI caravan to the local tasty freeze for ice cream. What could be more fun? Of course, I'm a small town boy.
NOTE: I'm a little bit broken for awhile longer. Can still help with some things.....
Old October 26th, 2006, 16:14   #40
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Fuel Economy: Old Passat 40 Mercedes 20

Lol

2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red

Last edited by tomo366; October 26th, 2006 at 16:36.
Old October 26th, 2006, 16:39   #41
turkeyssr

Fuel Economy: 44 avg.
Default Go West!

Well, I for one would be interested in some place in or around California; OR would be wonderful. Unfortunately for me, I can't/don't always keep up with the process of how the locations are choosen. (I have too many processes at work to think about)
Old October 29th, 2006, 08:42   #42
bikeprof
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 @ 65 & getting better...
Talking

NO MATTER WHAT... let's have a FEST !

I still think that the IDEA of having a GTG in CENTRAL USA would be the best !

Think of the larger number of attendee's because of location
Imagine getting to a small town, "taking over" and being asked to come BACK the next year!, that would be SUPER.

thoughts...
1. Centrally located
2. Small town/city
3. Lower fuel cost pumps
4. Maybe(?) change the weekend date? for one that's not so busy?

DEFINITELY, LET'S MAKE IT A GTG
Old October 29th, 2006, 08:52   #43
lancellotto

Any interest in having a biodiesel homebrewing class at TDIFest 07? I'll bet we could get Mark Alovert (www.girlmark.com) to do one at the Fest. If any of you are from the SE and would be interested in hosting TDIFest 07 in Atlanta, there's a hot little biodiesel community here (www.vegenergy.com), too.
Old October 29th, 2006, 18:30   #44
WPB TDI FRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeprof
I still think that the IDEA of having a GTG in CENTRAL USA would be the best ! ...DEFINITELY, LET'S MAKE IT A GTG
How about Kansas City, MO ???
Old October 29th, 2006, 19:01   #45
Jetter_Sprinta
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor

Fuel Economy: Better than a Prius ;-)

I was in KC, MO recently myself and I thought it would be a great place for a Fest! I am out of the volunteering biz, but I'll have plenty of encouragement for the organizers--wherever it may be!