www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old January 11th, 2017, 06:34   #31
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42 with a lead foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr46 View Post
how is it with only a stage 1 tune which only adds about 20 hp and 30 ft lbs more of torque it easily overpowers these clutches? also this car has nearly 400k on it, I'm not interested in beating on it nor sinking gobs of money into it.......I figure since I know it needs a clutch and turbo why not upgrade a tad for a few more bucks........I really do not want to spend 4-500 on a new clutch if a 200-350 dollar range clutch will serve my needs
I think it is because the TDI applies it's torque very early and very abruptly. These clutches were meant for a vr6 and have q slightly stronger pressure plate that the stock Tdi clutch... But It's a lot easier on the clutch to have 250ftlbs @ 4000rpm with a vr6 rather than at 2100rpm with a Tdi.
Old January 11th, 2017, 08:37   #32
mjr46

TDI(s): Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchupshirt88 View Post
I think it is because the TDI applies it's torque very early and very abruptly. These clutches were meant for a vr6 and have q slightly stronger pressure plate that the stock Tdi clutch... But It's a lot easier on the clutch to have 250ftlbs @ 4000rpm with a vr6 rather than at 2100rpm with a Tdi.
that makes sense......I'm just use to pushing stock components on mustangs a good bit with no issue and just new to these tdi's and it just seems you can't do much with the stock stuff vs what I'm use to doing.
mjr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 09:24   #33
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

mjr46, I understand your working with V-8's and such, and I don't know if just flashing the ECU will give a reliable 30% increase in power like it will on an ALH TDI. Some of the members here have TDI's that are just beasts, and 200,000 miles later they run just as strong as the day they were built; I am not sure a haul a$$ go fast V-8 (Mustang or not) can make that specific claim. I am not picking a fight with you here: I had many years of go-fast V-8's, but as fun as they are to drive there will never be a 50 MPG V-8 that runs 12 second 1/4 miles.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:58   #34
mjr46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
mjr46, I understand your working with V-8's and such, and I don't know if just flashing the ECU will give a reliable 30% increase in power like it will on an ALH TDI. Some of the members here have TDI's that are just beasts, and 200,000 miles later they run just as strong as the day they were built; I am not sure a haul a$$ go fast V-8 (Mustang or not) can make that specific claim. I am not picking a fight with you here: I had many years of go-fast V-8's, but as fun as they are to drive there will never be a 50 MPG V-8 that runs 12 second 1/4 miles.
No I agree with you, and to tell you the truth I can't really compare an apple to an orange or in this case a mustang to a tdi.....most the mustangs I have worked with were N/A and no a flash of the ecm won't net 30% increase because in the tdi I understand with the flash it also allows more boost, thus the 30% more power........don't worry about me, I'm learning with these tdi's it's a fun learning curve and I greatly appreciate all the help forum members have thus given me so far such as yourself......Had I been into forums 15 years ago in their infancy, I'd of save a lot of money on the v-8 stuff and built it right the first time.........so with this tdi, I went to the forums first and will do it right hopefully the first time Any suggestion on where to get turbocharger....I see the borg warner for 695.00, then a Mahle for 699.00 then garrett for 799.00 and then stigan for 595.00, obviously garret is top of the line but not sure what to go with??
Old January 11th, 2017, 11:18   #35
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

the garrett VNT17 is considered the best unless you are going for big power and require more air than that. id avoid the borg kp39 and the stigan.

the vnt17 turbo needs an adapter or a special hose to work, BUT the dutch auto parts version uses a machined out VNT15 compressor housing so you dont need the $100 adapter or $150 special hose... straight up plug and play upgrade.

as a bonus, its only $600. pretty much having your cake and eating it to, if you can get over the fact that its technically a rebuild...
Old January 11th, 2017, 12:11   #36
mjr46

Quote:
the garrett VNT17 is considered the best unless you are going for big power and require more air than that. id avoid the borg kp39 and the stigan.

the vnt17 turbo needs an adapter or a special hose to work, BUT the dutch auto parts version uses a machined out VNT15 compressor housing so you dont need the $100 adapter or $150 special hose... straight up plug and play upgrade.

as a bonus, its only $600. pretty much having your cake and eating it to, if you can get over the fact that its technically a rebuild...
I hadn't planned on upgrading to a vnt17, I was gonna stay with a stock turbo but given the fact his rebuilt vnt 17 is priced decent...it could be a viable option........My question is: Any reviews by forum members on his stuff? how well did they work/last? My main concern is the manifold part which is the worn part in my/vanes sticking, I don't want any issues there......is that part rebuilt as well or just cleaned?
Old January 11th, 2017, 12:18   #37
Owain@malonetuning

TDI(s): PD wagon

Have a lot of customers running those sach kits without issue, including on VNT17s (brave). Was that stage 1 running R520s? not exactly a fair comparison. fixmyvw, boraparts, and idparts have everything you could ever need for this motor and are great to work with. I believe all of them work with DBW for injector installs, also have an account with DBW and I can tell you that the distributors aren't really making much on these hot swaps.

Best to keep the tune mild until you're ready to drop money for a VNT17. You're looking at around two grand for nozzles, south bend clutch and a turbo. Rebuilt turbos can last a long time, just a matter of getting a properly built tune an doing some data logging to make sure everything behaves like it should.
Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 12:33   #38
mjr46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
Have a lot of customers running those sach kits without issue, including on VNT17s (brave). Was that stage 1 running R520s? not exactly a fair comparison. fixmyvw, boraparts, and idparts have everything you could ever need for this motor and are great to work with. I believe all of them work with DBW for injector installs, also have an account with DBW and I can tell you that the distributors aren't really making much on these hot swaps.

Best to keep the tune mild until you're ready to drop money for a VNT17. You're looking at around two grand for nozzles, south bend clutch and a turbo. Rebuilt turbos can last a long time, just a matter of getting a properly built tune an doing some data logging to make sure everything behaves like it should.
Okay, so sachs it'll be.......and most likely stay stock on the turbo.
Old January 11th, 2017, 12:49   #39
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
Was that stage 1 running R520s?
No. It was before the nozzles were installed but it was after the 11mm pump was put in.
Old January 11th, 2017, 15:02   #40
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Default technically a rebuild, sort of...

Quote:

If you are talking about Dutch Auto Parts, please re-read his posts. A "rebuilt" turbo from him has a brand new cartridge, but has to be labeled rebuilt due to the exhaust manifold is not brand new. I have a 56 mm compressor wheel machined into a vnt-15 housing on my engine and I am very happy with it. Basically a plug-and-play 17/56 for a lot less money.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Old January 11th, 2017, 15:17   #41
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
If you are talking about Dutch Auto Parts, please re-read his posts. A "rebuilt" turbo from him has a brand new cartridge, but has to be labeled rebuilt due to the exhaust manifold is not brand new. I have a 56 mm compressor wheel machined into a vnt-15 housing on my engine and I am very happy with it. Basically a plug-and-play 17/56 for a lot less money.
I know and i agree with you but mjr46 was hesitant to get anything other than new parts in post 30, so i qualified my statement by saying that he would have to overlook the "technically rebuilt" aspect of those turbos.

ive run multiple used turbos so a good rebuilt unit doesnt bother me at all.

if i were converting to VNT instead of a big wastegated turbo, i may have bought a turbo from Frans myself.
Old January 11th, 2017, 15:32   #42
RoseBud68

All good info here. Im learning a lot just from this post.
Old January 11th, 2017, 19:33   #43
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

ketchup..., I am not trying to fight with you either. There have been instances where rebuilt meant second rate parts, but that was a long time ago. Garrett doesn't sell parts to rebuild their VNT turbos anymore, as there were too many going bad by poor quality control during assembly by second rate machine shops. Every hybrid VNT turbo on the planet does not have 100% Garrett parts in them, and that is okay as there are many US and UK manufacturers of quality parts to rebuild turbos. Rotomaster is a widely known quality brand of turbo builders. They are available at Rock Auto for less than $500.00 and come with a three year warranty.
Old January 11th, 2017, 20:04   #44
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

no worries, i never thought you were.

i was just agreeing with you and clarifying why i mentioned the rebuild thing.

the mahle turbo from idparts that he mentioned earlier has had positive reviews on here as well, if a guy were sticking to the stock size.

really as long as you dont go digging in the bargain bin on ebay, you'll probably be ok. lol
Old January 11th, 2017, 20:27   #45
mjr46

Quote:
no worries, i never thought you were.

i was just agreeing with you and clarifying why i mentioned the rebuild thing.

the mahle turbo from idparts that he mentioned earlier has had positive reviews on here as well, if a guy were sticking to the stock size.

really as long as you dont go digging in the bargain bin on ebay, you'll probably be ok. lol
trust me the 300 dollar ebay turbos scare me on flea bay!! So rock auto sells a decent turbo from rotomaster? As for the Fans guy, the only concern I have with rebuilt is what if anything is done to the vanes in the manifold part? There in lies my current issue with sticking vanes/ throwing overboost codes a couple of time a day, it's getting so bad I can't run the car hard at all and even when it doesn't throw the code, the car is an utter turd compared to my stock 2000 tdi beetle. I'm learning from you guys what the quality parts yet affordable ones are......not always the cheapest and not the most expensive........there is a lot of good info in this thread and you guys don't know how greatful I am for the time you all have spent to answer my questions, it's helping me get a clear direction and path to follow!!!