www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old November 23rd, 2016, 18:45   #76
MVP

Fuel Economy: consistently ~ 42 MPG @ 80 MPH full AC, stop and go commute

Send him a message and tell him what you want. Gary@innovativewiring.com. I saw the same yesterday when I went to his site to try and include a link to the set. I bought the MK4 H/O set that includes a 150am MaxiFuse for $145 + $16 shipping. It was worth every penny of the $161 total I spent.

Disclaimer: I don't know Gary or have any stake in his success, but he built me a quality set so I am advocating that you talk to the guy and see what he can build for you.

I'm pretty certain that people expect he can just take an order and ship next day like the eBay merchants that buy from Chine do. Not the case here, but worth the money and the ~ 3 weeks from order until they shipped.

Just my $0.02. YMMV...
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2016, 20:42   #77
romad
Veteran Member

Is the shipping a flat rate or based on distance? If the latter, where is he located?

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 10:54   #78
MVP

Fuel Economy: consistently ~ 42 MPG @ 80 MPH full AC, stop and go commute

He's located in California, and he used a priority mail flat rate box.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 18:52   #79
romad
Veteran Member

Thanks. I'll have to factor in sales tax then.

The fleet:
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:04   #80
That Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City 42 Hyw 59 (Before and after upgrades)

Well, I'm gonna replace these cables. I saw this thread a while back but never bought new cables. Now I think it's time I just pulled the trigger on this and did it.

Does anyone know what the cable length is on a North American (Brazil built) 2001 Golf MKIV TDI?
Gary asks for the length required on his web site. The choices are 19" and 24".

Also...I just noticed on his main page that he no longer ships internationally. I live in Canada so that sucks. I've left him a message to see if he'd still ship here.

Green 2001 Golf 1.9 TDI (A4 - ALH) (New June 2001)5 spd man, 151000 Km (Aug 2012), PP520 nozzles; SBC Stage 2 Endurance Clutch w/SMF; GT1749VB; Malone tune, Multiple upgrades.
Black 2009 GTI 2.0 TSI (New Dec 2009)6 spd dsg, 53000 Km (Apr 2012),stock
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:25   #81
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Also...I just noticed on his main page that he no longer ships internationally. I live in Canada so that sucks. I've left him a message to see if he'd still ship here.
Canadian tire has pre-made battery to starter cables hanging on the wall near the batteries in most stores if that is the cable you are looking for? Regardless you should really measure the one on your car to be sure.

2001 VW Golf TDI 5MT 584,000 km / 2" lift / Valeo G60/VR6 SMF /
Mahle VNT15 turbo / Sprint 520's / RC3
TDIclub links: The NARFmobile "re-build" thread / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter
Facebook:
Santos Speed Shop & Day Care

NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 13:57   #82
DanG144
Veteran Member

I prefer my cables to have lugs on both ends, and use a military style battery clamp, so the lead portion is easily replaced. When used with high quality crimped, soldered, and sealed cable ends such as Innovative Wiring makes, they will pretty much last 40 years or more.

They do have one more bolted joint, but it is easily cleaned and I always use some sort of special purpose battery protective spray or thick silicone grease to keep the corrosion down.

I noticed my wife's new Toyota Sienna has that style (though lighter in weight) connections for the battery.

Innovative Wiring has indicated they would make a set of cables for me with the military style terminal clamp, but I have not placed the order.
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 19:38   #83
That Guy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG144 View Post
I prefer my cables to have lugs on both ends, and use a military style battery clamp, so the lead portion is easily replaced. When used with high quality crimped, soldered, and sealed cable ends such as Innovative Wiring makes, they will pretty much last 40 years or more.

They do have one more bolted joint, but it is easily cleaned and I always use some sort of special purpose battery protective spray or thick silicone grease to keep the corrosion down.

I noticed my wife's new Toyota Sienna has that style (though lighter in weight) connections for the battery.

Innovative Wiring has indicated they would make a set of cables for me with the military style terminal clamp, but I have not placed the order.

Are you looking at getting the military grade zinc clamps?

Green 2001 Golf 1.9 TDI (A4 - ALH) (New June 2001)5 spd man, 151000 Km (Aug 2012), PP520 nozzles; SBC Stage 2 Endurance Clutch w/SMF; GT1749VB; Malone tune, Multiple upgrades.
Old January 11th, 2017, 03:24   #84
DanG144
Veteran Member

I don't know what they are made of. They do seem to be harder than normal lead. But even if they do deform over time, they are easily and cheaply replaced.

Do you have a link for the zinc ones? I just buy mine off of Amazon, typically.
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:08   #85
mongoose711

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Well, I'm gonna replace these cables. I saw this thread a while back but never bought new cables. Now I think it's time I just pulled the trigger on this and did it.

Does anyone know what the cable length is on a North American (Brazil built) 2001 Golf MKIV TDI?
Gary asks for the length required on his web site. The choices are 19" and 24".

In for an answer on the 19 vs 24 and if he'll ship to Canada as well.
mongoose711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:31   #86
DanG144
Veteran Member

He answered 3 emails from me in one day. The first message was sent from his site, a selection up in the header.
Old January 12th, 2017, 09:22   #87
That Guy
Veteran Member

He hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I found that I have extended family living in the States that I can have him ship it to, and then they can ship it to me.
Although if he tells me that I can order direct from him, I'll be doing that instead.

So now I just need to get around to removing the battery and tray so I can measure the existing cable.

I didn't get to it last night as my drivers seat decided to start sliding around on the way home. The locking mechanism that holds the seat in place stopped working. (super annoying)
But I found that this is not an uncommon problem, and that it's due to the grease on the locking pin getting old and causing the pin to stick in the open position.
I sprayed some PB Blaster on it, let it sit, and banged it around until it popped loose. Seems to be working fine now.

I'm going to be reupholstering the front seats in the next two weeks, which requires their removal from the car. So I'll give them both a good clean and lube then.

But ya, I can't wait to get those cables replaced. A real PITA as it is now.

Old January 31st, 2017, 12:28   #88
That Guy
Veteran Member

So I ordered the cables. Gary doesn't ship out of the US, so I'm having them sent to my wife's parents in Yuma. They head back to Canada in the spring and will bring the cables with them.

$215 after shipping and conversion from USD to CND. I'll have to pay tax on that too once they declare it when crossing the border. Expensive, but worth it.
If you live in Canada and want to get a set of these you should buy soon. The US dollar is just going up and up.

My starter cable length seemed to be just under 19" so I ordered that length. (19" and 24" are the two choices on the web site.)
It's easy to measure it. You don't need to remove more than the battery cover. The starter cable runs from the positive terminal down to the starter. It's all easily accessible. I used a flexible sewing tape that my wife had to measure it. Easy Peezy.

It'll be great to get that replaced, and hopefully see the last of these odd electrical issues. I'm still kicking myself for not just doing this a few years back. Oh well.

Old March 12th, 2017, 12:22   #89
romad
Veteran Member

Weird, I just measured my starter cable and it is about 14.5" - 15"

The fleet:
Old March 12th, 2017, 15:04   #90
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Most RV shops can make you custom battery cables, if you're looking to avoid shipping.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk