www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2011

TDIFest 2011 Discussion about TDIFest 2011 on the Labour Day weekend (September 2-4th, 2011) in Lexington, KY.

Old September 6th, 2011, 18:23   #31
dieselpower04
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I bet they were. They don't expect that from a 1.9L. And I bet you're pretty disappointed when you drive a car with 'normal' torque: I always wonder where the power went.
Yeah its pretty sweet. Even in the chipped Passat, the power difference is large.

And man-o-man are my brakes better in the TDI

dieselpower04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 05:51   #32
dieselpower04
Veteran Member

Here is the plot:

Gunna round up to 186 whp, 335 ft-lbs

Old September 10th, 2011, 13:11   #33
A5INKY

Fuel Economy: pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower04 View Post
Here is the plot:

Gunna round up to 186 whp, 335 ft-lbs
Hmm, thought this was a thread about the dynos run at TDI Fest?

Seriously, that looks like a strong car with a nice curve but does not compare to the results in Lexington last Saturday in any way. Comparing your mods (listed in your sig) to mine: I have more turbo, more injector, more cam and some head work. I don't think you would have spun 186WHP on that dyno!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74vwsb View Post
...While 185 is a great pull, at the show you would probably have seen 150-160...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrmonster View Post
Thats why I put the 1.8T Passat wagon on the roller, they are usually very consistant. I drove the car the night before, and no doubt it is 200hp range. It spun 144hp. It was an automatic so this can cause some additional losses too. oem=170hp

Heartbreak Dyno!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash_TDI View Post
...74vwsb works at Fast Enough and that dyno. I have seen cars run on it for years and it produce low numbers.

Last edited by A5INKY; September 10th, 2011 at 13:48.
A5INKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 05:17   #34
dieselpower04
Veteran Member

Well my dyno was on the same weekend! And both were eddy-current type dynos, so its not like I did 186 whp a Dynojet (inertia-based dyno). On a DJ that would be like 208 whp.

True its a *not* direct comparison, but the dyno's should be within a small percentage of each other. Haters gon' hate

Last edited by dieselpower04; September 11th, 2011 at 06:23. Reason: typo
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:28   #35
red golf tdi

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Keep in mind the TDI manual transmissions have a double overdrive, meaning 4th gear is not 1 to 1, perhaps throwing off the equipment.

Also, if they are calculating the torque tire diameter is not published diameter, but actual diameter with weight on the car.
red golf tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:58   #36
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by red golf tdi View Post
Keep in mind the TDI manual transmissions have a double overdrive, meaning 4th gear is not 1 to 1, perhaps throwing off the equipment.

Also, if they are calculating the torque tire diameter is not published diameter, but actual diameter with weight on the car.
4th is 0.98:1. (for the 5-speeds)
Old September 11th, 2011, 15:33   #37
A5INKY

Quote:
Well my dyno was on the same weekend! And both were eddy-current type dynos, so its not like I did 186 whp a Dynojet (inertia-based dyno). On a DJ that would be like 208 whp.

True its a *not* direct comparison, but the dyno's should be within a small percentage of each other. Haters gon' hate
Yeah, and dreamers gon' dream...

No wonder dyno results become so contentious. Only way to get reasonable correlation is to run the same dyno on the same day. We did that at TDI Fest, and you were not there. Your effort to try and create some kind of correlation with the result from that day to boost your ego is a little sad.

Old September 11th, 2011, 15:39   #38
dieselpower04
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5INKY View Post
Yeah, and dreamers gon' dream...

No wonder dyno results become so contentious. Only way to get reasonable correlation is to run the same dyno on the same day. We did that at TDI Fest, and you were not there. Your effort to try and create some kind of correlation with the result from that day to boost your ego is a little sad.
Give me a break bro. Just having some fun here. Show me some track times and we can compare there

Old September 11th, 2011, 17:51   #39
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I think Chris's dyno provides a helpful comparison. I don't know if it was the operator, the weather, correction, or something else, but I've seen a lot of TDI dynos and these are universally low enough to really not be useful, IMHO. I agree with A5INKY that dynos are most useful as back-to-back comparisons, but the numbers I saw from the Fest were way, way off. Someone should figure out why.
Old September 11th, 2011, 19:14   #40
A5INKY

Quote:
Give me a break bro. Just having some fun here. Show me some track times and we can compare there
No worries here. I just raced my first autocross today, awesome fun. Biggest problem was trying to stay hooked up, my car will break traction in 3rd gear even with a Wavetrack and pretty gummy tires!

Honestly 178/285 at that dyno was pretty disappointing, but it is what it is. It was enough to take the trophy for "Highest Horsepower" that day. Not a number to brag with here though, so I won't. I am thinking I would be well north of 200HP on most other dynos.

I have not had it to a 1/4 mile track yet but am interested in finding an opportunity. Will not hesitate to post when I do.

You have a lighter car, but I would line up with you anytime.

It really is a nice curve you posted.

Old September 12th, 2011, 04:13   #41
dieselpower04
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5INKY View Post
No worries here. I just raced my first autocross today, awesome fun. Biggest problem was trying to stay hooked up, my car will break traction in 3rd gear even with a Wavetrack and pretty gummy tires!

Honestly 178/285 at that dyno was pretty disappointing, but it is what it is. It was enough to take the trophy for "Highest Horsepower" that day. Not a number to brag with here though, so I won't. I am thinking I would be well north of 200HP on most other dynos.

I have not had it to a 1/4 mile track yet but am interested in finding an opportunity. Will not hesitate to post when I do.

You have a lighter car, but I would line up with you anytime.

It really is a nice curve you posted.
AutoX in a TDI would be a lot of fun! I am waiting till I get my suspension all finished before I try it.

There is no doubt that your car should make more power than mine A5, none at all. I was pretty happy with my little 17/22 results and just wanted to share.

Old September 12th, 2011, 05:23   #42
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I found autocrossing frustrating, although I only did it a few times. Lots of courses require a 1-2 shift in the TDI where other cars don't have to, which hurts times. Getting hooked up is a challenge as others have mentioned. But what I didn't like was standing around for 8 hours for about 4 minutes of drive time. Track days are a lot more fun, IMO.
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:40   #43
A5INKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I found autocrossing frustrating, although I only did it a few times. Lots of courses require a 1-2 shift in the TDI where other cars don't have to, which hurts times. Getting hooked up is a challenge as others have mentioned. But what I didn't like was standing around for 8 hours for about 4 minutes of drive time. Track days are a lot more fun, IMO.
I got out of 1st right off the line and drove the entire course in 2nd. It was revved out in the wider sweepers but no room for 3rd. The longest straight was into the finish and 2nd was really spinning. I actually grabbed 3rd on my last lap and had my best time of the day. What I really needed was a 2.25 gear. Also have to say that my laps got faster as I learned to stay off the go pedal enough to allow the tires to grip, otherwise it was full drifting from corner to corner.

I will have to find a track to play at, more seat time than autoX would be good.