www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2011

TDIFest 2011 Discussion about TDIFest 2011 on the Labour Day weekend (September 2-4th, 2011) in Lexington, KY.

Old September 4th, 2011, 08:06   #1
mrvermin
Veteran Member

Default A big Thank You

First the story:

At the Saturday Pig Roast, I parked and locked my car, walked around taking pictures and took a test drive in the new Passat (took picts of that as well).

Later, I found that I had lost my keys somewhere on the dealer lot. Many people helped me (many thanks ) search the Passat, even the dealer salemen helped out, but it was not in the car. Others helped me out searching the lot from back to front, but no luck

Jeff (Rockechip) and his wife, Frank (frank06) and his wife, Fred (VWDerf), and Shalon (Zippy) amont others stayed late and helped me search into the night at the dealer. Jeff even stayed until the tow truck came and helped us load the car onto the truck.

We brought the car back to the hotel and Jeff helped us unload it and arrange for me to make sure that it was snug and secure.

I can't go on and thank those that helped enough over this, I know that at times while searching I was a bit terse and short tempered, and for that I humbley appologize if I came across that way . You guys helped me out.

I'll post more as this unfolds and let everyone know how it turns out.

For now, if anyone has found or finds a VW switchblade key with a TDI Compass keychain, please turn it in at the Hotel Desk.

Thanks.
MrVermin

mrvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 10:49   #2
mo_focus
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 84 944

When we get back home, remind me to give you a key fob that I had from my 02 car. Hopefully it will work with yours, you just need to get the key cut.
Old September 5th, 2011, 21:47   #3
Zippy_car
Trouble Maker

Fuel Economy: 42, 27.6, 23 - Subaru #'s

Good luck, Joel. I really hope this works out for the better. Have a safe drive home.

Former mk4 jetta owner, turned Subaru mountain climber.
Zippy_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:44   #4
mrvermin
Veteran Member

well, thanks to Aaron of BoraParts and the use of his FedEx account, , My brother will be sending my spare keys to me over-night, and I should get them by Wednesday 10am

Lessons learned:

- Carry a spare set of car keys in Camera Bag (keep said bag in hotel room)
- Park with wheels straight (just in case)
- Always be with Good Friends

Thanks to all

MrVermin

Old September 6th, 2011, 10:48   #5
Torque_Delight
TDIClub Enthusiast
Modded

Fuel Economy: ~5 l/100km

Damn what an adventure for a little piece of metal with a groove in it !

I'll take your lessons and will carry a spare key just in case it happens to me the next time!

At least you found a way to get out of this and you have a little more time to enjoy KY and Relax a bit!

Take Care and have a nice drive back home
Jetta TDI 2001 GL (~650 000 km) : GT-1749VB, EGT/O2/Boost Gauges, Scangauge II, Sachs VR6 Clutch kit, OEM G60 Flywheel, 502 Nozzles, MRTuning, Euroswitch, Hella Micro-DE w/ yellow bulb, Rear fog, Wolfsburg's Heated Seats, Koni STR.T Shocks, H&R OE Sport Springs, TT Control Arm Bushings, 17" Santa Monica (GTI VR6) Wheels, DieselGeek Skid Plate, FX35 HID Projectors Retrofit, GLI Tail Lights, 2004 Trunk lid.
Torque_Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:48   #6
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Glad it worked out and your spare key will be arriving in the morning! It's awesome how everyone chips in to help a friend in need.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 19:20   #7
Franko6

Hey Joel,

I'm glad I was able to help you in more than one way...

I was good to get to know you. We'll be meeting up again, I'm sure.

Hope you got home safe with no more drama.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 20:40   #8
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

I assume the keys arrived before checkout?

2010 Golf Highline Wagon (Blue Graphite Pearl)
Aspherical Mirrors

- Past VWs:
2003 Indigo Blue TDI Bora Wagon;1996.5 Black 2.sl0w Golf
VW Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 05:56   #9
mrvermin
Veteran Member

heya all....

Well, I got my gets in the FedEx envelope Wednesday morning (big thanks Aaron), packed everything up and checked out. The hotel was very helpfull in assisting me to clean and dry my Trunk Matt after oil spilled on it from a leak in a container in my trunk.... (BTW: Purple Power really works)

Anyway, I got everything ready and headed out to my sister's in New Jersey (just across the bridge from Philadelphia). I took the south route through West Virginia and turned left at Baltimore. That is when I hit the STORM....

Wow, what a storm, Baltimore was being flooded as I drove past, this thing was moving slowly up the coast, so I had to get ahead of it and get to my sister's first. I made it ok, but now another problem....

The storm blew through and flooded areas in and around Philly, as well as west of the city, that would be my route out

Looks like I will be here for a day or so until they clean everything up.

I think I am going to write an addendum to the book of "Murphy's Laws"...

MrVermin

Old September 10th, 2011, 12:43   #10
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

If you're bored and don't want to go home yet, come on down to DC for a day or two!

The flooding on Thursday here was unreal... never seen anything like it before. Monsoon rains for at least 2 hours straight... 12" for the day.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; September 10th, 2011 at 12:44. Reason: q
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote