Cruise not working on my 2004 Jetta

Old Vdubs

TDI
1999 Jetta 2004 Jetta
Going on a road trip with my 2004 Jetta and need to fix two problems before I leave. First, and I think most importantly is the cruise. I turn the switch on and the cruise light comes on, but I hit set and it does nothing, no matter how many times I press it. I took out the brake light switch (bad mistake took me an hour to get it back in and working) and that seems to be ok. I take it that there is a cruise module somewhere. Anyway any clues would be helpful.

Second problem is my fan. I had four speeds one day and now only high. Im guessing there is a resister pack somewhere as well, or perhaps there is a fuse that governs the resisted speeds and not high. Again any clues would be helpful.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
If you can get access to VCDS you will easier find your cruise control problem. Your sig doesn't say if you have a 5 speed or an automatic; if you have a 5 speed the likely culprit is the "blue" switch on your clutch pedal. As for the fan there is a fan control module that (on a 2001 anyway) is mounted under the battery box just behind the fan shroud. Have you tried running the A/C in the driveway and checking to see if only the high speed works there as well? I hope this helps you diagnose the problems.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need a scan tool. There is no "cruise control module", as that is all resident in the engine controller.

You can check all the switches in the data blocks.

Or you can just throw a bunch of parts at it.... :p

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Without testing in VCDS, this is about your only option:
Shown is the RHD version, but should still work

Old Vdubs

TDI
1999 Jetta 2004 Jetta
Thank you Nevada TDI and oilhammer. It is a 5 sp. so I'll look into that blue switch. Gforce 1108 I'm not sure which test is being done in the picture.
How much do you have to pay for VCDS, and does it plug into your OBD2 port?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Thank you Nevada TDI and oilhammer. It is a 5 sp. so I'll look into that blue switch. Gforce 1108 I'm not sure which test is being done in the picture.
How much do you have to pay for VCDS, and does it plug into your OBD2 port?
No test - just a simpler cruise system. As the others have mentioned, vcds can test all of the individual functions of the cruise control. There is a switch at the very top of the travel of the clutch. If it goes bad it won't affect much beut the cruise function. I've seen a bit of a shift flare on a car with this switch bad (RPMs hang when the clutch is pressed for a moment).

See if there is someone close to you with vcds that you can meet up with for a quick test.

Old Vdubs

TDI
1999 Jetta 2004 Jetta
I checked out the blue clutch switch and even bypassed it, so that's not it. It looks like the stalk switch. looks like you have to pull the steering wheel to do that. I'll have to consider that VCDS software (or maybe just get a brick).
I fixed the fan problem. It was the resister pack under the glove box.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My apologies, I failed to realize you were talking about the fan inside the cabin; it should have occurred to me the radiator fans don't have 4 speeds. Duh!, on me.

Old Vdubs

TDI
1999 Jetta 2004 Jetta
My apologies, I failed to realize you were talking about the fan inside the cabin; it should have occurred to me the radiator fans don't have 4 speeds. Duh!, on me.
No apologies necessary, I just said fan. I once had a Renault with a 2 speed radiator fan.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I fixed the fan problem. It was the resister pack under the glove box.
Keep an eye on the fan, listen for extra noise when you shut it off.

I just did the hvac fan and resistor pack on my old Jeep - the bushings/bearings in the fan motor were dying, which caused it to draw more power than usual through the resistor pack and kill it.

if the resistor pack blows again, the fan motor itself may be suspect.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Check your bulbs in the back. The sockets sometimes get sloppy and can cause feedback causing the ecm to think that you hit the brakes. Mine would do that and one or both of the bulbs wouldn't work but the 3rd light did. When this would happen, the cruise would stop working.

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
OldV... yeah, definitely get the VCDS - it WILL pay you back in spades.

I've read the same thing Rob reported with the fan causing the resistor to blow.

I've actually had success hitting my fan with penetrating spray. My intention was to try it as a test and has been going for a year now.

Last edited:

Old Vdubs

TDI
1999 Jetta 2004 Jetta
The fan sounds healthy so I'm hoping it's not going to blow again.
I'll definitely check those bulbs. Don't want to change that stalk switch if I don't have to.

Old Vdubs

TDI
1999 Jetta 2004 Jetta
The fan sounds healthy so I hope it won't blow again. I'll definitely check the brake lights. It would be nice if I didn't have to change the stalk switch.