Flash back to stock before dealer oil change?

Bam15012

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon
Guys,
I have a Kerma tune on my 15 TDI GSW that I bought last May. I only have 7000 miles on the car but my car is telling me that I have a week to get the oil changed. My first oil change is free so I want to take advantage of it.

Will the dealer check to see if the car is tuned if all I'm doing i getting an oil change? Should I tune back to stock just in case?

Thanks,
Bam

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
don't bother flashing back to stock for something as minor as that. Those guys get paid by book time and won't want to initiate a treasure hunt for the time they get to do an oil change.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Time to rack of more miles on the car!!! such a shame that a TDI can't even manage 10k a year.

I flashed back to stock for the wife's first oil change, I had the time.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I can think of better reasons to avoid the dealership. For one- you might be sitting around for an hour or more to save that $40. I'd run the oil out to 10k miles without worry. It doesn't turn into mud at midnight.

This_Fuggin_Guy

TDI
2015 GSW
By "tune back to stock," I'm assuming there is a stock mode in your flash and you can switch back and forth between the tune and stock mode? If so, I believe that the dealer can still detect that the car is tuned, even in "stock mode." Now whether or not they care seems to be the more important question. Some dealers are tune friendly, as long as it isn't the cause of the problem/warranty work, while others will immediately void your warranty if they detect a tune.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Flash counter gets incremented, chances of TD1 is always there when the ECU is modified.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
why cant you just change the oil yourself? or take it to the other trusted oil places instead of tuning -de-tuning unnecessarily and increasing the flash counter

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Guys,
I have a Kerma tune on my 15 TDI GSW that I bought last May. I only have 7000 miles on the car but my car is telling me that I have a week to get the oil changed. My first oil change is free so I want to take advantage of it.
Will the dealer check to see if the car is tuned if all I'm doing i getting an oil change? Should I tune back to stock just in case?
Thanks,
Bam
Your car is telling you that, is because the dealer set it up that way. 10,000 miles or 16,000 km between oil changes is normal. You should check your manual what VW says how often to change the oil. With a VCDS you can change that reminder.

As already mentioned for an oil change I am not going to flash back to stock, but when my car goes in for the Phase 2 work, then I will.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Your car is telling you that, is because the dealer set it up that way. 10,000 miles or 16,000 km between oil changes is normal. You should check your manual what VW says how often to change the oil. With a VCDS you can change that reminder.

As already mentioned for an oil change I am not going to flash back to stock, but when my car goes in for the Phase 2 work, then I will.
It's the time factor (one year), not the mileage that is prompting his service reminder. I'd just do it at 10k, but I don't lose sleep worrying about scenarios where the warranty might be void. Some folks do worry a lot about that sort of thing.

Bam15012

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon
Thanks guys. I'm just going to reset the oil reminderwith an OBD II then change the oil at 10k. As for low miles, I garaged the car all winter and drove my wife's car, It's been a LONG winter her in PA.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Does mine fit the bill for mileage? Bought in may of 2015 has 64,450(ish) on her as of this morning...
my dad purchased a year ago a "new 2015" hes managed to put 1200 mi on it, i guess hes ready for his 10K service now :eek: