2015 Passat purchase

gearhead61

TDI
none yet
Hi, new to form and TDI. I have a friend with a 01 & 03 Jetta and got me hooked. I am looking at a 2015 Passat TDI SEL 2.0 with 33k miles (buy back?) 2 year unlimited warranty for my wife that commutes 500 miles a week. The car drove great other than a bit of lag on take off. I am told it was the reprogram for emissions from the dealership. I am a service manager at a truck co. and we have issues with EGR's DPF's ect. How is this car ? Thanks look forward to hearing your thoughts.

DieselDummy107

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I just bought one last week. 2015 Passat TDI SE and I love it. I had a 2011 Jetta TDI that I put 140,000 miles on before I crashed it a month ago ?*♂. I loved the Jetta but wanted something a little bigger so I started looking around for the newest passat with the lowest mileage, and I found this one for 16,750 in Connecticut—I’m in upstate NY..anyway things awesome, although I’ve been searching for performance parts and there’s really not much you can do to these cars other than a tune, exhaust and an Intake.
If it ends up performing over the years anything like my Jetta, I’ll be happy. Other than regular maintenance and the $1200 timing belt at 120k I had no issues at all. Get the car, you won’t regret it.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
lag is the DSG, when the brake lights go off the computer begins to engage the clutch, it wont fuel hard until the clutch is fully released, sport mode quickens this but remember its a computer running a true manual box :D
Just don't shut down in regen and let it warm up good before feeding the throttle and you'll be all good.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
That and low end fueling is tuned for emissions as part of the fix, an aftermarket tune will gladly wake up the car.

One thing I will mention, take a look at the 1.8t TSI Passat, yeah sure it doesn't have the torque of TDI but highway MPG its darned close 40 vs 45. a new 18 Passat will have some more nanny features that weren't availible on the '15 (carplay) and the price shouldn't be that much more. Also the asain torque converter transmission makes it very quick off the line but if not a bit jerky if you really romp on it.

Either way the NMS Passat is a great grand touring car for the price, it'll eat up the highway miles regardless of the en engine. Just another option.

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
Does your wife need that extra 16th off the line to be competitive in her weekend drag racing? I honestly don't notice this lag that everyone talks about but I'm a pussy foot off the line. The pavement is rarely dry in my world so anything more than a light touch tends to get the traction control chattering.

I don't know how you can go wrong for the money and the distance she covers every week. I wanted a new car that was comfortable and fuel efficient. My Passat was $16,900 with 13,200 miles on it. Mine still has bumper to bumper until July, I think a couple more years on the power train plus the crazy extended warranty on all the stuff that, like you, I really worry about. It sounds like you are getting that extra bumper to bumper warranty that I didn't get.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
That and low end fueling is tuned for emissions as part of the fix, an aftermarket tune will gladly wake up the car.

One thing I will mention, take a look at the 1.8t TSI Passat, yeah sure it doesn't have the torque of TDI but highway MPG its darned close 40 vs 45. a new 18 Passat will have some more nanny features that weren't availible on the '15 (carplay) and the price shouldn't be that much more. Also the asain torque converter transmission makes it very quick off the line but if not a bit jerky if you really romp on it.

Either way the NMS Passat is a great grand touring car for the price, it'll eat up the highway miles regardless of the en engine. Just another option.
That was my feeling on the tsi, we rented one while on a florida vacation, i wanted to love it but you could barely touch the throttle without it jumping and jerking, it was really strange.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That was my feeling on the tsi, we rented one while on a florida vacation, i wanted to love it but you could barely touch the throttle without it jumping and jerking, it was really strange.

I had a 16 Passat S for two days last week when the alltrack was getting new strut bearings did about 150 miles in it. There was pretty good lag from a stop that would make the DSG seem like a linear rocket ship. I wonder if coding the throttle response, like the Mk7, would improve it.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I am a service manager at a truck co. and we have issues with EGR's DPF's ect. How is this car ?
Just in case you missed it, the fixed 2015s come with an insanely good emissions system warranty (11yrs, 160k miles from inservice date, plus more years/miles when you get the phase II fix done - check with the dealer for full specifics). So you shouldn't have to worry about the EGR/DPF for many years (well, at least not without any issues being covered by warranty).

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
The warranty on these cars is insane, frankly I’m surprised VW didn’t just write the cars off and crush them. I purchased mine in November 2017 when the published warranty was 2year/24K bumper to bumper, 5 year/60K powertrain, and 11 year/162K diesel system. I got a letter in the mail from VW in early January with a new warranty supplement and extension of my 2 year/24K to 2 year/unlimited. I drive about 30K per year, so I was very pleased with the unlimited mileage bumper to bumper. The manual insert specifies that the entire engine and diesel systems are fully covered to 11/162K, anything that sets a check engine light except the transmission (mine is a 6MT, so not a problem). It also states that if there is a discrepancy it goes in favor of the consumer. I feel very good about keeping this car to 162K miles, maybe more.

My 2009 Jetta TDI became a turd at 70K miles, enough so that we traded it by 76K miles. I attributed the failures to it being the first year of the new motor/trans. My 2011 Touareg TDI was very solid except for the DEF related issues: Two DEF pumps, a couple DEF injectors, a DEF level sensor, etc. The only major failure was the rear hatch motors, $1300 but covered by extended warranty. Hopefully the Passat proves to be as good.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
looks like the 08-10's are getting crushed but the 11+ models are getting saved in the holding lots for resale, these are great strong cars- mine got rear ended in my work parking lot by a crazy driver going really fast, hit it so hard it sent it 3 spaces forward (in park with ebrake fully set) and over a small retaining wall- tow company drug it off the wall, only damage is the trunk lid, front and rear bumper (that we kicked back into place) and the plastic supports below the ac rad got left on the 1' high wall, I have such a long commute I opted not to have them tow it and am driving it right up to the autobody fix date this wed. :) My MFI cycles threw all the check bulb errors, pretty much everything. The guy who seen it happen looked at the bumper and said he fully expected the bumper to be in the back seat as the guy was doing a burnout, possi caught and threw him into my car at 30-40 mph before speeding away into the sunset without leaving any info

Last edited:

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
The warranty on these cars is insane, frankly I’m surprised VW didn’t just write the cars off and crush them. I purchased mine in November 2017 when the published warranty was 2year/24K bumper to bumper, 5 year/60K powertrain, and 11 year/162K diesel system. I got a letter in the mail from VW in early January with a new warranty supplement and extension of my 2 year/24K to 2 year/unlimited. I drive about 30K per year, so I was very pleased with the unlimited mileage bumper to bumper. The manual insert specifies that the entire engine and diesel systems are fully covered to 11/162K, anything that sets a check engine light except the transmission (mine is a 6MT, so not a problem). It also states that if there is a discrepancy it goes in favor of the consumer. I feel very good about keeping this car to 162K miles, maybe more.

My 2009 Jetta TDI became a turd at 70K miles, enough so that we traded it by 76K miles. I attributed the failures to it being the first year of the new motor/trans. My 2011 Touareg TDI was very solid except for the DEF related issues: Two DEF pumps, a couple DEF injectors, a DEF level sensor, etc. The only major failure was the rear hatch motors, $1300 but covered by extended warranty. Hopefully the Passat proves to be as good.
Volkswagen has continued to impress me with the quality of the cars and their customer policy after purchase. I've never dealt with any major company that has been so--after purchase--customer accommodating and responsive. If another video comes to light of them gassing some poor monkey, I suspect they'll open their checkbooks and shower us TDI owners with more treasure.
And, just to share, the 15 corrected the turbo lag--which almost got me T-boned a couple of times--on our 13, and the programming on the DSG is much more intelligent re wheel spin. I've noticed the wheels chirping on wet road acceleration, which is something I never experienced in the 13, and thus allowing a faster and a more simpatico interaction between driver and car.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Huh? Did you buy a new fixed 2015 or a certified fixed 2015? Either way, I bought mine in March of 17 and never received a supplement to that effect. Interesting.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
It was stated above that the 1.8 Passat gets 40 on the highway. We have a 2017 Passat auto with technology, and never get above the mid 30s. I would love to know how someone gets 40 MPG. Maybe theirs is a manual? Even though it is a gasser it is surprising how much torque it has. Sure it winds up higher rpm's, but we still like it very much. But we also have one of the new Passat TDI's and now that I am retired (Was working out of town) we are going to sell the 1.8 because we don't need 3 vehicles. Keeping the TDI, (Can't give up the warranty) Ford pickup.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It was stated above that the 1.8 Passat gets 40 on the highway. We have a 2017 Passat auto with technology, and never get above the mid 30s. I would love to know how someone gets 40 MPG. Maybe theirs is a manual? Even though it is a gasser it is surprising how much torque it has. Sure it winds up higher rpm's, but we still like it very much. But we also have one of the new Passat TDI's and now that I am retired (Was working out of town) we are going to sell the 1.8 because we don't need 3 vehicles. Keeping the TDI, (Can't give up the warranty) Ford pickup.

Longer highway runs at a moderate speed, same commutes/roads route we'd get 47-50 in our Passat TDI. I even had a 1.4t jetta, and got 43 MPG hand calculated on a nice run to Rutland VT last fall. The 1.8t will drink something good if you're on boost where as the boost almost seems free on the TDI.

Only thing the 1.8t is not good at is pushing the 4Mo system with any sort of efficiency, i struggle to get 30MPG while keeping up on the highway 65-75.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Just to be clear here this extended warranty on a 2015 only applies to one purchased from a VW dealer, correct? One is on their own if bought from an independent or non-VW dealer, correct? I ask as best deals on 2015's near me seem to be at non-VW dealers.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
You'll still get the emissions warranty as well as any outstanding transferable VW warranties (eg: 60k powertrain). You won't get the 2 year bumper to bumper unless your dealer offers their own.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
You'll still get the emissions warranty as well as any outstanding transferable VW warranties (eg: 60k powertrain). You won't get the 2 year bumper to bumper unless your dealer offers their own.
So you're saying regardless of what dealer (VW or non-VW) a 2015 TDI comes from it will have the emissions warranty? Just want to be clear on if that is the case or not since you only say "dealer" with no reference to being VW or not.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
A 2015 TDI from any dealer will have the extended emissions warranty if the fix has been implemented (currently Phase I only). But, you should call VW to find out instead of taking the word of an internet expert.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
Huh? Did you buy a new fixed 2015 or a certified fixed 2015? Either way, I bought mine in March of 17 and never received a supplement to that effect. Interesting.
Mine was a fixed buyback 2015 sold certified by a VW dealer.