Mk6 Malone stage 2 starting issue?!

DieselOG

TDI
11' 335d Msport-----R.I.P. 12' Jetta TDI Stage 2
Had an extremely hard start a few weeks back, it was not near cold enough for the i/c to be icing 60 degrees atleast and even if it was I have an s3 i/c swapped in** have been unable to get a solid answer on weather that will have any affect on the icing issue anyway** the gas was relatively new from my local BP with heavy diesel traffic so I'm reluctant to write it off as just bad gas due to the fact there's been zero issues before or since then. The car was started and moved to a different spot, it was running for less then a min, the car was shut off with no issue. Around an hour later I returned to start the vehicle, it turned over a few times with no luck then finaly fired a few times, would run but with an extremely low idle and a fair amount of vibration and white smoke. I was semi worried about the fuel pump so I was being cautious cranking on it but all of a sudden it fired like nothing happened and no issues since. All in all probly spent 5 min trying to get it started. Any ideas on what could have happened?