Help Me to Narrow Whining sound

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Trying to narrow a whining sound coming out of my father 03 TDI ALH with 165,000 Miles Auto. It reminds me of alternator or Power steering Pump pitch sound that common with weak Ford PS pump.But its not that As i removed the ALT belt and the sound still there near the TB upper section. I hear the sound while am setting in P and raving the Eng or Driving.

I replaced the TB with a complete Kit from IDparts to include Conti Alt belt . I didn't recall that sound prior the TB service, i can hear the sound while i rev the Eng or driving .Visual inspection show no sign of any suspect. I done so many TB with no issues on the BHW, BEW & BRM but this could be one of a kind.

The tensioner alignment set spot on, I verified the belt routing like 3 times. the 3 bolts holding the IP gear not dead center as i adjusted & fine tuned the timing with VAG. I was planing to loosen the bolts that is holding the lower TB cover and re torque them thinking they might be rubbing ! IDK ..Any thoughts

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Where did you get the TB kit?

My car would make a ZZZZer sound when revving. Always concerned me but I heard others saying that they'd experienced it to, due to TB, and it would often go away. Haven't checked my car in some time but I think that the sound might have gone away (now that I have 50k miles on the TB).

I ask about the TB kit because I'm wondering if it's certain manufacturer's bits that are responsible (all reputable, but I wonder if one[?] has an increased likelihood of expressing this behavior).

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Where did you get the TB kit?

My car would make a ZZZZer sound when revving. Always concerned me but I heard others saying that they'd experienced it to, due to TB, and it would often go away. Haven't checked my car in some time but I think that the sound might have gone away (now that I have 50k miles on the TB).

I ask about the TB kit because I'm wondering if it's certain manufacturer's bits that are responsible (all reputable, but I wonder if one[?] has an increased likelihood of expressing this behavior).

IDParts

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Are you sure it's not the turbo?
Seems like the likely culprit where you're looking.
Maybe it's the flapper in the intake not opening all the way due to carbon build up.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok guys i was able to narrow the sound to Alt tensioner or the Plastic roller by the tensioner. ITs not the TB at all. The 1st time a loosen the ALT Belt i didn't pay close attention. Yesterday with a Help of a friend we narrow it down . I am extremely happy that My TB skills didn't fail me

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Thanks for the update. This gives me a place to start looking for the whine that my BEW Golf has been making. Just waiting for Spring to arrive.