Rust repair - where? Advice needed (GTA)

Hrk

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Hi.
I would appreciate an advice from fellow forum members on where to fix rust on two rockers and two rear quarter panels.
VW replaced several panels but denied rockers, rear quarter panels and door.
I would like to fix it so rust won't keep spreading and it won't look neglected.
First question - will fiberglass fix be sufficient or should I go with cutting out and replacing parts of rockers and panels? I was quoted ~$400 for fireberglass fix (however person is not very responsice and I can't find any feedback on him). For cutting and welding two rockers and parts of two panels I was quoted ~$1,000.
My thought are $1,000 is probably a bit much for car I bought for $3,500 and I already have $1000 spent to put it back to road.
So my questions are - do you think fiberglass fix is sufficient and where would you recommend to bring it to for a fix?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
If you found someone who will cut out and weld in replacement metal in rusted out areas for $1k- that is one hell of a good deal... verging on too cheap but maybe a hobbyist type who will do in their home garage?

Hrk

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
It's not a bad deal but I would like to keep the cost of car to minimum and wanted to know opinion about fiberglass fix and where it can be done.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Unfortunately when done properly, this will be a lot more than $1K. The rust you see on the quarters is just the tip of the iceberg. When the paint is removed, it will become 3 times larger than what you see now. As for the rockers, there isn't any metal left, a good chuck of it would need to be cut out, some structural sections, and replaced.

krazykipa

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI (RIP), 2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Dang, VW giveth and VW taketh away... have you gotten a quote from the shop that does the actual warranty work? They might be able to bundle it with the approved panels for a slight savings, though I assume the approved work has already been done.

Quarterpanels look just on the verge of being too far gone for fibreglass, and your rockers definitely need replacing.

Hrk

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Shop that did covered rust warranty quoted $700 each rocker panel, $600-800 for door, $400 each quarter panel. I bought this car for long distance drives, not as museum piece, so it was too much.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
IMO that shell is too far gone. Fiberglass is never a suitable repair, and if you keep digging, I guarantee that you will find more rust.

If your engine and transmission are good, I agree with the above posts, find a gas engine car with a clean shell and swap everything over ... use this one as the parts car; you have everything you need to do it.

Hrk

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Hmm. So what's the math here? Let's say $3,500-4,000 for clean gas car? Not just clean, has to have everything in decent condition (apart of engine). Then $1,000 more to swap engine. That is on top of $3,500 for existing car.
How much would I sell existing rusted body with spare gas engine for? Like $1000-$2000?

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Yes, your math isn't "off" but if you took your time you may find a very good clean gasser wagon that has failed engine or transmission and get it for a fraction of what you've quoted.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I don't know how easy it will be to find said wagon though... here's a few I found and they have some rust... not as bad but I don't know if you'll be able to find a rust free example

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...on/1345250812?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...on/1343134161?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...yl/1337483825?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

the second wagon looks like it has no rust, but needs a rear windshield... might be worth looking into that one

Hrk

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Fixed rockers and rear quarter panels.
Rockers repaired with sheets of metal, I'm happy with this fix 100%. I'm planning to add splash guards to seal the gaps, but it's not really really necessary as rockers are now sealed inside. $500 for both sides.
Rear quarter panels - rust ground, sealing, painted. As you can see paint is more matte rather then gloss colour, so I'm happy 90% with these, cost was $300 for both sides and because I already ordered rockers job.
Overall I'm happy, I'm trying to keep any costs down on this car, just wanted to stop rusting and make it look decent.

Rockers:

Rear quarter panel:

Last edited:

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
that's quite a bit of orange peel on that rear quarter, but it's a 12 yr old car and it's a lot better looking than before.

Did you find someone to do it on the side? or did you try it yourself?

I've got a MkV TDI that will need some attention soon, I plan to DIY this year.

Peter

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Thanks for reporting back. That's a fair price for what was done. Likely single stage paint based on the price and orange peel but who really cares at this price point. If you can't get used to the orange peel on those rear quarters you can "cut and polish" them, That is wet sand and then a couple/few different grades of cutting cream.

Looks way better than large blister and gaping rocker holes.

Hrk

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
That orange peel on first pic is front of the rocker panel. I'm thinking about installing splash guards so they would cover the gap between rocker and fender liner.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
That orange peel on first pic is front of the rocker panel. I'm thinking about installing splash guards so they would cover the gap between rocker and fender liner.
I can tell the difference between a rocker and quarter panel. ;) That rear quarter was what I referring to in my last post.

Hrk

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
I can tell the difference between a rocker and quarter panel. ;) That rear quarter was what I referring to in my last post.
Then I just don't understand what you suggested with "If you can't get used to the orange peel on those rear quarters you can "cut and polish" them". I don't see any orange peel on rear quarters, could you please elaborate what you meant?

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Then I just don't understand what you suggested with "If you can't get used to the orange peel on those rear quarters you can "cut and polish" them". I don't see any orange peel on rear quarters, could you please elaborate what you meant?
Orange Peel.

The 3rd picture you posted with a view of the driver side rear door and quarter panel.

You can see most of the house across the street in the reflection in the 12 yr old paint on the door.

The rear quarter panel, all you see is a fuzzy reflection. That is what orange Peel is. The clear coat or paint dried with the texture of orange Peel.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Hrk

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Oh, I see, thank you for explanation.
JFI - the door on the picture is brand new, VW replaced three of four doors with rust warranty. My main concern now is driver door, need to find a replacement and then maybe I will polish quarter panels as you suggested.

Last edited:

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Orange Peel is pretty common for diy paint jobs....

I sprayed and repainted this rear door on my 2006 Jetta tdi in June 2016 with color matched aerosol paint and then a 2k aerosol clear coat on top.

It's lasted decently almost 2 yrs later.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Do the rocker ends have any sheet metal behind the plastic wheel well liners or are they open ended? They look open. If they are, you should close them up or else water will get in and rust really fast. The body shop shouldn't have released the car with a paint job like that on the quarter panel. Least they could have done was to wet sand and polish. People have done better jobs with a can of spray paint in their driveway. Can't believe a shop did this and charged for it. Shame on them.

Hrk

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Looks like this 2k aerosol clear coat makes a big difference, really hard to tell from pictures #2 and #3 that the door was spray-painted.

Hrk

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI
Do the rocker ends have any sheet metal behind the plastic wheel well liners or are they open ended? They look open. If they are, you should close them up or else water will get in and rust really fast. The body shop shouldn't have released the car with a paint job like that on the quarter panel. Least they could have done was to wet sand and polish. People have done better jobs with a can of spray paint in their driveway. Can't believe a shop did this and charged for it. Shame on them.
Rockers are closed (couple of centimeters inside), but regardless I'm planning to close the gaps with splash guards. It was a private "garage shop", budget fix for budget car. I can't do a better job so money-wise I'm happy with this fix of rocker and quarter panels. Thing is proper shops either don't want to deal with that kind of issues or quote too much for a $3500 car.