Roof rack question

Rob M

TDI
1996 Passat TDI 5spd, 2013 Jetta TDI 6spd (Turning in), 2015 Jetta TDI 6spd, 2015 GSW SEL 6spd
Ok so I got the OEM base rack and the bicycle carriers for my GSW. I would like to start carrying 2 kayaks on top and was looking for a longer base bar. Preferably one that I could also mount on my 15 Jetta TDI if needed. The question is do the Tule or any other base racks work with the VW system? I would like to go with the longer base bars and still use the VW bike and kayak mounts with them rather then getting a whole new system.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if you want longer bars, whispbars while nice won't get you the added real-estate needed.

I have thule aeroblades in 53" variety, the over hang is pretty good but 4x8 sheeted goods are a dream to carry on the wide bars. With the aeroblades i've never run into issues with the sunroof, they sit a little bit lower than the OEM bars, but the clamping strap is very clean.

One thing the 53" is as wide as you can go without cuttting a notch in the rear blade. the rails taper in the back of the car and you can't get the feet narrow enough all the way out back and still have the feet sit where they should, I usually run the rear bar about 4-6" from all the way rear and it's good.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
if you want longer bars, whispbars while nice won't get you the added real-estate needed.

I have thule aeroblades in 53" variety, the over hang is pretty good but 4x8 sheeted goods are a dream to carry on the wide bars. With the aeroblades i've never run into issues with the sunroof, they sit a little bit lower than the OEM bars, but the clamping strap is very clean.

One thing the 53" is as wide as you can go without cuttting a notch in the rear blade. the rails taper in the back of the car and you can't get the feet narrow enough all the way out back and still have the feet sit where they should, I usually run the rear bar about 4-6" from all the way rear and it's good.
How so? Whispbar S18 useable bar length is 57". Is that enough for 2 kayaks, side by side? The standard S16 useable bar length is 45.25" (S17 is 51.25").

The OP is using hardware attached using T-slot bolts, so no worries about lost mounting real estate from the towers.

Maybe you're getting confused with the Rail bar people love for that "clean look"

vs Through bar

The only lost real estate for T-bolts is the end caps, but that's normal regardless of manufacturer

Last edited:

Rob M

TDI
1996 Passat TDI 5spd, 2013 Jetta TDI 6spd (Turning in), 2015 Jetta TDI 6spd, 2015 GSW SEL 6spd
Thanks

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I finally had the time to sit down at my computer today to respond. After reading the replies I did go with the Thule 53" whisper bars. They seem to be wide enough to fit sea knacks side by side. The VW mounts for the bikes and kayaks fit nicely. I am just waiting on the attachments which I ordered off eBay. I will get a second set for my 2015 GSW TDI. If it works well with the sunroof I will be even more happy!