Any day you save a turbo is a good day

greentdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Jetta (sold)
Or why, if you live within a 3 hour drive's radius you should get your car serviced only by Herm.

Yet another positive experience with a true gentleman, ace mechanic and all around nice guy, Herm Pasker. Got up there around 8:30 with a completely dead turbo (read: no boost), left by 11 am with new oil/fuel/pollen filters, 2 replaced headlights, ventectomy and one fixed turbo. The VNT rod, which was completely jammed tight after only 77k miles, (due to 'service' at one boston area which shall remain nameless) took a lot of proding but through ingenuity and determination, that sucker broke free. Not only did I get these things fixed, but I learned a ton about my car and how it works through plenty of hands on learning.

Thanks again herm for all your help!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
<font color="green">Green, that's all good to hear. We are very fortunate to have Herm as our local guy. Many trust him and with good reason.

Green, do you drive like an old granny? I am trying to get more insight on how the VNT rods/mechanism gets so loaded up it jams

thx. </font>

greentdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Jetta (sold)
<font color="green">Green, do you drive like an old granny? I am trying to get more insight on how the VNT rods/mechanism gets so loaded up it jams
</font>
Can't say as i do-- i make regular runs up to 3200-3400 rpm.

My particular vnt failure was more than likely due to a local garage partially disabling my egr mod which caused the engine to burn copious amounts of oil for about 5-6 miles.

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
True true Herm is outstanding.....My thought and observations associated wit the sticky VNT are based solely on my experience...
2001 golf TDI with ~85Kmiles
I was throwing an intermittant overboost CEL and determined it was the sticky VNT. with excercise (with motor cold pushing thumb down, release, puch down release...repeat until thumb complains. when car is hot but not running you can suck the vnt rod into action via mouth suction. As for the casue? I can throw CEL if I want by aggressive application of throttle in higher gears when at or under ~2K rpms. I can reset CEL with vag com or with 6 or so shutdow/starts. I never throw CELs anymore by always making sure I am at or above 3K for upshifting.

My driving has always included taking the engine above 3K and well beyond....its the occaisional lower rpm combined with application of throttle that throws the CEL for my car....I'm convinced that my vnt is more sensitive or sticky than normal, but since I don't have the benefit of driving other peoples TDI's I can only surmise this. Time to teach my wife the drive it like you stole it need. She seldom drives the VW but took it yesterday and low and behold this mrning there was a CEL on start-up...Rob "I'd rather push my TDI to wits end than take it 2 miles to the nearest VW dealer" M Concord, MA USA