Looking for Android Advice

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Hello, apparently it's time to welcome me into the 21st. century. Better late than never, right?

I've just bought my first smart phone -- a droid Bionic. I've overcome the first two problems -- I've got it to read and load my phone book into my Kenwood 9140 GPS / DVD / Etc. head unit, so I can use BT the way it was designed, and I've figured out how to get music (from Youtube for instance) to play through the Kenwood head / car speakers. Also, I haven't thrown it across the room and into the wall yet. That's a positive sign.

I've downloaded Gas Buddy, which I like. I'm using the Traffic feature of Google Maps, and occasionally checking that against Sigalert dot com.

But I'm looking for any advice on the following (or anything else that you users who know more than me -- that would be approximately all of you -- can give me):

Battery management software and tips -- the battery life is pathetic -- I'm charging it at least once a day.

Application management -- there are a LOT of applications loaded on there from the manufacturer -- I'd like to figure out what can go.

Privacy software (to the extent privacy is possible).

FM radio and other free, legal music sources. While we're on the subject, I have no idea how to download stuff if it's harder than 'push the download button'. Computer wise, I'm on the 'short bus'. One of Jerry's children, if you get my drift . . .

Ringtones. I've downloaded Zedge; any other recommendations?

Your browser preferences. I've got Google and Firefox; I think I may uninstall Firefox.

OBD and car interfaces: I've figured out that VCDS doesn't make an interface for the droid. I was hoping I could stop carrying around my pathetic laptop every time I want to VAG-COM some parameter. Suggestions?

Is there any way to display the droid screen on the much larger Kenwood screen? The Kenwood has 9 or 10 inputs including DVD, TV (with a tuner of some sort), 3 video lines, USB, etc., etc. I understand that the droid has an HDMI function that apparently means it can be connected to a high definition TV. I presume viewing it on the Kenwood wouldn't lead to touch screen capability, but just being able to view the applications like Gas Buddy or a Google Map in double DIN size would be a benefit.

Any other applications that you like and recommend? At this time, free apps win out -- until I'm convinced that an app is worth paying for (I'm sure some of them are).

Thanks.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
go to the app market and search for "torque pro", it isnt full blown like vagcom but currently offers the most support for android devices and connectivity to the vehicle through a bluetooth obd2 adapter.

it watches most livefeed sensors( boost, rpm, o2 sensors, speed, etc...) and hundreds more that i dont remeber. a very worthwhile app and only costs about 5-15$.

i use it and love it.

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
My replies are in bold.
Battery management software and tips -- the battery life is pathetic -- I'm charging it at least once a day. Advanced Task Killer works well. Also lower your screen brightness.
Application management -- there are a LOT of applications loaded on there from the manufacturer -- I'd like to figure out what can go. without "rooting" your phone your stuck. Not reccommended for non techs.
Privacy software (to the extent privacy is possible). AVG anti virus
FM radio and other free, legal music sources. While we're on the subject, I have no idea how to download stuff if it's harder than 'push the download button'. Computer wise, I'm on the 'short bus'. One of Jerry's children, if you get my drift . . . I like Pandora and Tune in Radio. Wasn't very happy with I Heart Radio, poor buffering.
Ringtones. I've downloaded Zedge; any other recommendations? That is a good one. Android wi use any MP3 as a ringtone.
OBD and car interfaces: I've figured out that VCDS doesn't make an interface for the droid. I was hoping I could stop carrying around my pathetic laptop every time I want to VAG-COM some parameter. Suggestions? Can't say enough about Torque. Buy an ELM327 bluetooth from Ebay for about $20
/snip
Thanks.
Answered from my HTC Espresso !

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
For pseudo free music, nothing beats Spotify. There may be a subscription charge if you stream off of your device, but it really is amazing, and worth it IMHO. Pretty much, you type in what you want to hear and it finds it. Some major artists have not licensed with them yet, but it is astounding what you can find.

JAvendan

TDI
No TDI yet :)
I downloaded the Amazon App Store app and loved it.

Amazon will give a few full version apps a few times a week.

I used it to download the pro version of TuneIn Radio.

Enjoy!

Joel

Rmad

TDI
02 Jetta 1.9TDI ALH
Slacker is great for music. I like the Mirin browser. Battery life is short with heavy use. Watch your task manager and close any app you don't need. Other than that, just carry a cord and enjoy. Androids are great machines.

dcullen

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Great Android Apps

Waze - Social Navigation, Real Time Traffic and Police location app.
App2SD - move apps to the SD card, save phone memory
Juice Defender - battery saver
Wheres my Droid - locate misplaced phone

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
get Swype and Tapatalk, then you can post to every thread in seconds. ;)

typing with Swype took a little getting used to, but now I can't imagine liking the phone without it.

some pther apps i like and can recommend:

DW Dialer - is good for organizing contacts
Tesla LED - good flashlight
Fring - do video calls phone to phone if you have front cameras
Dropbox - upload easily
Photobucket - probably uploads better from mobile than my pc
lbe privacy guard - if you're concerned about privacy you can prevent apps from reporting your location, contacts, calls etc.
untappd - record and rate beers you drink
mint.com - lays out and categorizes your finances in an easy to read way
DiskUsage - good visual way to see what is using up space on your phone
opera - easily the fastest browser
tape a talk - voice recorder
Cam Card lite - take a picture of a business card and it reads the info and makes a contact into your phone automatically.
Soundhound - tells you the song that is playing
Google Sky Map - the best starfinding app out there
Beautiful Widgets - for weather widgets and clocks, crazy adaptable

Last edited:

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
Indeed it will. It's platform independent and can be used with any device that's got Wifi and a modern browser.

-Uwe-

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
Thanks for all the answers -- all the info and app suggestions are appreciated. I’m working through your replies and knowledge real slowly, and looking forward to even more apps / techniques / pointers. I’ll only make a couple of comments right now.

I’ve got a permanent Scan Gauge II, so I’m not jumping on buying a Torque-Pro, but the fact that the Torque Pro displays OBD info as gauge graphics brings up the fact that I’m still wondering if there is a way to put the screen output of the droid thru the Kenwood head. The Kenwood can accept any RCA plug audio / video input – is there an adaptor available that will convert the droid graphics to RCA input? The droid has HDMI output, whatever that actually is . . .

Battery life is better now that I’ve shut off a bunch of the droid stuff that runs in the background, and I’ve read a number of comments that the newest droid operating system is better than it’s predecessors and that Task Killer is not needed, but I think I’ll probably try it anyway. Your comments on the actual effectiveness of Task Killer with the newest droid?

I’ve downloaded Waze, but I haven’t fully figured it out yet. I suppose I should turn it on, huh?

Slacker – the droid came with Slacker on it – I haven’t used it yet because I have to sign up for it. You’d think I wouldn’t care, but unless I can figure out why I should need to give up an email address and create a password, sometimes I don’t do that. We’ll see.

MP3 Ringtone Maker – this has worked well, and I’ve created a couple of ringtones that I wanted with this.

Where’s my Droid – if I remember tonight, I’ll download this.

Any comments pro or con on Avast for Droid? I decided against AVG – I used to have it on my desktop, and when I went to re-load a current version, every single time I started the computer up it tried to get me to upgrade to the paid version before I could get past it and onto the internet. I appreciate salesmanship – but every single time???

Regarding Uwe’s comments – I am looking forward to purchasing whatever I need to use the droid in place of my heavy, annoying laptop.

More comments and thanks coming as I figure out and try out more of your suggestions.

williamgd2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
For the phone battery shut off 4G wifi and bt and any other app your not currently using.You could also get a extended life battery with a extended battery face plate for your phone. Ebay pretty cheap just don't bid on one from over seas.It will take a month to get it from China.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
+1 on the battery. It makes my phone bulkier for sure but now I can use it indiscriminately and not have to tip-toe around power.

VCDS Mobile looks great. Now I need to look into a splitter so I can keep my SGII online full time.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
I got a Bionic, got rid of it in a week, got a Comando and hate it even more. Does even less. I just need to do my calls quick, don't have time to look to find contacts, can't delete individual texts, voice comands do not even get close to the contact, even one as simple as Bob. Wish I would have just gotten the Motorala Barrage, I did find an app that might help with the contact. (I like use the number key pad, the bionic did but not all contacts could be found that way, Comando does not do it at all) Also felt large and fragile, Comando fits nice and is rugged, but so was the predicessor to the Barage I had.

toolongtospell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (170K)
On the topic of rooting your Android phone; if you have the time I highly suggest you look into how to root your phone you can get SO much more versatility out of your phone. I took my HTC Evo (battery only lasted 8-12 hours) and turned it into a power sipping over clocked superphone. I have a over-clocked processor to 1.1 GHz and have gotten 40 hours of battery life out of it. I suggest going to XDA Developers and just start reading. Most rooting processes are super simple these days.

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
I downloaded 'Where's My Droid', 'Advanced Task Killer', and 'Addons Detector'. I've started surfing XDA Developers, but this is all very new to me. I wish they'd talk about diesels just a little bit.

I think I'm on the right track RE getting video on the Kenwood -- anyone care to take a casual look at this thread, and tell me what you think:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/5851-convert-hdmi-output-rca.html
I think I get it -- output the micro HDMI digital signal via an appropriate cable to a small converter (which appears to require 5V to operate it), and then into the Kenwood (3 RCA 'composite' cable) via a second appropriate cable.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I got torque pro and I have to say I'm impressed.. I'm using a cheap ELM327 bluetooth adapter I got off Amazon so the data refresh rate is slower than it could be, but the app/setup is probably the best $30 investment (elm327- $25, app $5) I've made in a LONG time.. I use it mostly for drive-cycling gassers to get them through inspection (checking readiness monitors), but it works a LOT better than I thought it ever would.. I especially like the VW gauges.. They match almost exactly.. I can data log until my SD card is full, record a driven route along with a host of other things.. Very cool..

I'm really looking forward to an android version of VCDS..

bengone1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1998 VW GTi 1Z powered. 06 Jetta PD. 01 allroad 6sp
Googles "gesture search". Free Super easy to use and lets you find and dial numbers or send a text quickly. Just use your finger to scribble a letter and it brings up contacts that begin with that letter. Next letter narrows search if needed. Push the green phone icon next to name to quick dial or tap name to display info for text. Can also be used for music, emails etc. I set mine up to do contacts and mp3s only.

Convertpad by Sunny Moon. Free and easy to use for just about any conversion. lbs to nM, mL to OZ, Celsius to Fahrenheit. Very useful in the garage.

Gear speed calculator by Rob Green. Free. Nicely laid out and you can save gearing and tweak to see changes in graph or spreadsheet form

Electrodroid. Free. Fun little electronics app with handy pre-made calculators and circuits.

Adobe reader: Free. Your phone may come with this pre-installed.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
I downloaded 'Where's My Droid', 'Advanced Task Killer', and 'Addons Detector'. I've started surfing XDA Developers, but this is all very new to me. I wish they'd talk about diesels just a little bit.

I think I'm on the right track RE getting video on the Kenwood -- anyone care to take a casual look at this thread, and tell me what you think:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/5851-convert-hdmi-output-rca.html
I think I get it -- output the micro HDMI digital signal via an appropriate cable to a small converter (which appears to require 5V to operate it), and then into the Kenwood (3 RCA 'composite' cable) via a second appropriate cable.
stay away from task killers. they don't help and they're more likely going to slow you down, kill your battery, and destabilize your OS. android is designed such that each app sort of runs in its own space. if space is needed, it will be created by the OS without you or another app getting involved. back in the eclair days they had some purpose, but these days? no.