Can anyone recommend some water cooled turbos for 1.9/2.0??

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Hey guys...have kind of a stupid question.

Im in the market to dump the sbc 350 in my boat for a tdi

Im probably going to be shooting for the passat 2.0 tdi as the manifold will sit higher making water injection in the down pipe easier (must be below turbo to keep water from being sucked in) as well as keeping hot exhaust away from fiberglass.

My current motor is 260 hp but its usually ran around 3200 to 3500 rpm where its not using all of that. I never have a need to go full throttle to be honest.

The 2.0 puts out 130 ish hp.. I would like the ability to play with getting out more once the swap is done. Ive heard rumor these motors can handle 200 hp with ease by adding arp head studs. I dont want that much but i always say that until the more power bug hits. I dont need this boat to do more than 25 mph. Most speeds will be 8 to 10 mph crusing at or slightly above hull speed.

Im currently working with a guy to figure out electronics and ip issues. Im not 100% if this motor is throttle by wire (i need mechanical cable) and im not sure if this motor has any exhaust sensors( must be removed because of water injection)

If i can get rid of un needed sensors, imob and cluster i will be trying to keep the stock injection pump.

Ive done many diesels swaps but this one is the first with electronics.

As for turbo sizing something a little more efficient would be great! Something that didn't sacrifice power at 1600 to 2000 rpms and made power all the way to 3800 would be amazing!

Im sorry for the lack of knowledge. I cant find much info on the 2.0 swaps and nothing like what I'm doing.

I thank all of you ahead of time for any info or tips you can share with me

I would gladly use a fwd 1.9 tdi but im afraid the turbo sits too low. If manifolds could be swapped to have a higher mount turbo that would rock...but either way an entire car in bad shape is 1000 to 1500 and motors alone from 500 to 1000 locally. Id love to be able to jump on the first good runner i see but i want to make sure i make the right purchase the first time and check with you experts first.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you checked vw "marine" prices? Its a joke. Even if i had that kind of scratch to throw away id still do diy

I'll be marinizing my own tdi motor. Either ecu with tune amd deletes or a mtdi and adding an aftermarket water cooled turbo.

I'm finding most swap info on the 98 to about 01 1.9 tdi so im starting to think that might be my best route.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, boating in general is "a joke", so... :p As my dad said, a hole in the water in which to throw money.

But yes, I am sure they are not cheap. However, your question(s) could perhaps be answered with some internet sleuthing as to what parts are already available in the VAG Marine parts bin that could be applied to the automotive engine, since they share a lot of the same basic parts and are of the same basic design.

Looking at ETKA, it would appear the water filled exhaust manifold for instance will bolt right on to the head of an automotive engine. I do not think the turbocharged marine diesels use water cooled turbochargers though.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I will be using a wanter cooled turbo for ease of install and cooler temps. I wont need a water cooled manifold (only available from uk iirc and $$$$)

Upgrading turbo and injectors is a priority anyway for more power.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Search posts by member "shakescreek." He marinized a TDI, maybe even a BHW.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you. I will also be running a w to air ic. I hope to find one that is stainless. My boat is about 8 ft 3 from the water at the fly bridge. If it wasn't for 20 ft of charge pipes id put a fmic outside the windshield

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Nothing wrong with an AWIC, in fact it's better than air-to-air because of the abundance of cool water supply.

It would not be too difficult to design and fabricate a water box to enclose the exhaust manifold, injecting water directly into the exhaust gas stream post turbine is fine too.

You would choose your propeller based on the torque curve of the engine, and in the interest of steady cruising fuel economy, target around 1900 RPM or slightly over for this operating point, which corresponds to minimum BSFC.

Because of the propeller law, the power demand will rise to the cube of RPM and torque demand will rise to the square.

If you have a propeller chart, you can easily superimpose this on a torque curve and get a good idea of fuel burn rate and thrust anywhere along the curve, as well as terminal RPM where it crosses the engine full load torque curve.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
My outdrive is 1.5 gear ratio. Its a standard for v8 outdrives.

Another user built a 1.9 with less hp than the 2.0 i intend to use (ecu delete of imoa, maf and o2 with 170 hp tune) and had no issues getting on plane @ 3200 to 3500

For "cruising" around at hull speed of 8 knots ill be in that sweet spot of 1900 to 2000 rpms. Saving fuel, fishing and enjoying a beer.

He has a build thread on here and had issues with is water cooled manifold. He had greater success with a bolt on jacket on turbo and manifold. His exhaust gasses were too cool and didnt spool properly.

Im thinking just a water cooled turbo. I want something that doesn't need to spoil as quick and get me power from 2000-4000 rpms

Any recommendations?

And how well do these motors do with open down pipes?

My excursion 7.3 loves big exhaust. I was thinking of about 3 or 4 ft 2.5 inch pipe to below water line. Is that not enough back pressure? So I need a marine muffler too?

I know i need to delete the ballance shafts and install aftermarket cam on the 2.0 for reliability

I want to keep egts down without killing the power on this little guy

Last edited:

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
I'm running a gtb2056vl in my boat. Works well and spools quite quickly. Maybe not quite as quickly as the gtd1752vrk I have on my jetta but plenty quick in a boat. The vl's are water cooled and can be found quite cheaply so that's what I would recommend. I just use a dry exhaust, about 4' of 3" pipe and works well. Vnt turbo's seem to be a pretty good muffler themselves, doesn't seem loud to me so I see no need for a muffler on a boat. Mine's on a bpx(pd160 from an ibiza cupra) so not to different from the bhw your using. If it was me I would upgrade the injectors on the bhw with either pd150 ones(same as I have) or bigger nozzles on the bhw bodies.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for chiming in!

My boat is fiberglass with a wood core hull/transom.

I would prefer a complete dry exhaust but the engine bay is in the middle of the deck (cocpit in sailors terms) and the cover for it is a seat.

I think ill be raising that cover 6 or 8 inches higher and using 2 electric bilge fans to help suck out the heat. Ill also open the sides of the cover to help let out heat. Im worried without a water cooled downpipe and water cooled turbo ill run into too hot of an engine room

I plan on running a turbo blanket to help the turbo and lining all insides of the bay in reflective dynomat type material for sound and heat protection. I doubt this motor will be louder than my sbc would be.

The guy who did his sea ray conversion had issues with water cooled manifold killing performance. Im hoping Mayne ceramic coating the mainifold, and heat taping it will be enough.

Ive thought about outside the insulation wraping everything with water filled copper tubing and plumbing raw water through it and then insulating a second time. Im not sure if this would be over kill. I want to lower air temps around the bay without lowering temps inside the manifold.

Im also looking at the aftermarket cam. I believe its a colt cam? Looks like it increases performance and lowers the egt plus lasts longer than the problematic oem cam.

We boat all summer and its usually in the 90s here with water temps in the 80s

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
Sounds like you have it thought out quite well and have a plan that should work well. I think you are making a wise choice in not using a water cooler ex manifold as I agree it would rob too much energy from the turbo. Might want to consider getting the turbo exhaust housing ceramic coated as well as the manifold. That along with a turbo blanket and post turbo water injection should keep you engine bay temps reasonable I think. Think I would keep the exhaust outlet above the waterline as the less backpressure the better for the turbo. Just make sure there is enough slope in it from you're water injection point that you won't get any water back into the turbo on shutdown. Not sure you will get any performance or egt benefit from the upgraded cam as most of the data I've seen suggests they only help at the top of the rev range where you will seldom be running. Might have better durability though. That said my pd engine is still on the original cam and it looks fine. It had 20,000 miles on it when I bought it and I have put about 2000 hours on in the boat now.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Ceramic coating seems like a great idea

Instill have to figure out a pump to run sea water through the heat exchanger. Electric or something bolted in place of the ac compressor.

I can use the outdrive pump to run water through the intercooler and then the oil cooler but i would need to find those in stainless.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The turbo you suggested, i can't find them on ebay outside of europe, what vehicles specifically did they come off of?

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
GTB2056VL came on the Volvo 2.4l 5cyl diesels from about 2006 up to about 2016 I think. I sourced mine from europe and expect you'd likely have to as well as I don't think those cars were sold in na. A quick search on ebay came up with 19 of them or you could probably source one through ryanp(darkside), frans(dutch auto parts), or xman here on the club.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, i saw there were plenty on the other side of the pond.

In your set up is your motor located inside a hatch?

Obviously, with mine being sterndrive it is as far aft as you can get without standing on a swim platform and it's enclosed. The top of the hatch is a seat as most are. I will be rebuilding it out of plywood and making it taller but it is still in a crapily designed spot for ventilation.

Im assuming you're running an air to water intercooler set up in yours. Is it cooled with raw water or engine coolant?

I would prefer to find a stainless air to water intetcooler and water to oil cooler and run my stern powered pump directly to both in that order to cut down on temps and i intend on finding a belt driven pump power the cooling of my heat exchanger for the engine cooling using thru hulls.

Should i be regulating the water dumping into the exhaust? Im assuming that even if u run 3 to 4 inch exhaust too much water will make me lose power.

Far too many times have i done turbo builds or engine swaps, bought parts and then found better ways to do things and ended up having to sell parts at a loss. I only want to do this one one time.

I asked some of these questions on a boat forum and time and time again i got the answer that this tdi motor in a 25 ft boat will blow up or it defies physics and wont plane or it will blow up and wont last. I even posted vid of the other guys 25 ft sea ray on plane running effortlessly and all i heard was wow that motor is struggling and but you cant go faster than 25. (I dont think his searay or my carver will do much over 30 with a v8)

This all despite that for some 20k you can buy a 1.7 cummins(isuzu badged cummins) mercruiser sterndrive that is designed to run in boats like ours.

So....this project has to be done and done right...even if it's out of spite lol.

Im glad i found this forum, its a wealth of knowledge

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine is in a welded aluminum jetboat and does not have a full doghouse over the engine, just a top covering it with the sides open so it gets plenty of airflow. Also I'm at 58* of latitude close to the border with Alaska, so I'm sure the weather here tends to be cooler than what you'll be dealing with.I'm running an air to water intercooler with raw river water through it for cooling. Always running in glacial water as well so the raw water never gets more than a few degrees above freezing. I actually wound up downsizing my intercooler as the first one I tried brought the iat's enough below ambient to drop a lot of water out of the air which would pool in the intercooler. I don't run much saltwater so am using an aluminum intercooler. Not sure where you can find a stainless awic but you could probably convert an egr cooler into a pretty good stainless oil cooler.
Definitely regulate the water into the exhaust. Pretty sure the full flow from the heat exchangers would be too much in the exhaust.
I'm heading out this morning and will be away from internet access for a few days, so if you have any more questions for me it will be a few days before I get back on here.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you! When you get back i would like info on how to regulate my output water into the exhaust.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
Most just run a ball valve in the line. Just adjust it at a high throttle setting to where you get just enough water to cool the exhaust without flooding it to the point you are driving up backpressure. Once set there you should be able to just leave it like that and it will be fine at all power settings.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok cool. So do i also need a bypass before the ball cock so i dont restrict the water too much to allow the heat exchanger to keep up or will i still have enough flow where it shouldn't matter?

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes you will want lots of flow through your heat exchanger, intercooler, and oil cooler. I would just put a tee in and run a seperate line to your exhaust.