B5.5 TDI Manual Conversion (Help me kill that traction control light!)

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta 5sp TDI, 2010 bmw x5d, 81 1z MTDi Caddy, 97 jetta tdi
Hey guys, as the title implies i have an 04 passat tdi that i just finished converting to manual. I had the ecu tuned by Jeff w/ RC2 + all the delete stuff including immo and ero 5-speed conversion tune. The car runs like a top shifts oh-so smooth lots of power etc. Cruise works in all the gears, etc. My problem is the traction control light. I have removed the tcu, wired the pedals in and coded the abs from 577 to 575 that worked to shut the abs light off. The traction control light is the only one left out of my 'christmas tree' and i would love to get it off without putting tape over it like the immo light. any thoughts? Ive read on here about changing some value to 006 but I havent a clue where or what. Thanks!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Hmmm...i dont have the immo light on either. Just out of curiosity have you pushed the esp button? If it's pushed in (turned off) it will stay on

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Maybe your tune is wrong or something is wrong with the stability control system.
When I did mine, the tune turned off all the lights that weren't supposed to be on.

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
The immo light is on because I dont have the original key to the car. Its my fault on that one. I dont know anything about the history of the car before it came to me other than it sat out in field for 4 years because the auto trans went out. All that to say I don't know if it had a problem with traction control beforehand or not. There is a big rectangular button for ESP on the lower driver side of the radio. Ive tried pushing it to no avail. Also im not sure if its supposed to light up with an orange backlight when you push it like the ac or recirculate buttons will. My ESP button doesnt, it just stays dark with the headlights off or backlit red with the lights on. Not sure what ASR is but there is no button that says ASR anywhere.

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh i forgot to mention I put aftermarket 1.8t axles in and deleted the BSM with an alh oil pump while there. Not sure if that would matter, just figured I would mention it.

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok finally got a chance to hook up the vcds today. I found there was a fault in the abs unit so I cleared it and drove another 50 miles. Checked it again and it was on there again. Its just one heres how it reads: 1 18265 load signal
P1857 Error Message from ECU
Im not sure what to do now. let me know if you have any suggestions, i would really hate to put a piece of tape over it lol!

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Hmmm, I'm trying to remember. Isn't the ABS tone ring on the outer end of the axle?

Maybe your aftermarket ones either don't have one, or have the wrong one?
d

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok I finally got ahold of the car and looked for codes in the engine module and there are none. Says no fault codes found. I dont know if there is another module i need to look in other than engine. The fault is stored in the abs module.

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
So after a bunch of research, I read that a failed MAF will activate the traction control light and leave the ESP inoperable. Like I said there are no codes in the ecu so I figured it was fine but I went ahead and cleaned it anyways. I also swapped it out with a spare MAF I had laying around but the light stayed on.
Another thing I read was that the 'load signal' for the abs unit comes from the voltage regulator on the alternator. So I tried unplugging the voltage regulator and checked the wiring to the ecu and everything ohmed out ok.
What really stumps me is that the ecu doesnt care if i unplu the voltage regulator or not. I unplugged it, drove a little then checked for codes and there wasnt any.
Unsure of how to test the voltage regulator, I swapped the alternator out with one from an 02 golf and tried plugging it in. Traction control light still stays on and no codes in the ecu.
I tried disconnecting the abs connector at its controller to check the wiring and pulled the lower dash panels to check its wiring where it comes thru the firewall. everything looks good. I am really stumped on this one.
I tried recoding the engine module but I think Jeff locked it up because it says 0000072 and it wont accept any changes even with a login. I tried recoding because I figured the ecu isnt coded to send a load signal to the abs module??
Any thoughts or suggestions please???

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Didn't we just talk about this for 30 min on the phone today?

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Lol yes we did. After I submitted the post I thought I ought to call you. I got the can gateway coded to manual. It had a fault stored in it as well. The traction control light is still on however. I just put some tape over it and the immo. I think your right its in the ecu.
Thanks for all the suggestions!