converting an 05 automatic B5.5 tdi to 4motion

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Is this feasible? I have a complete 2002 B5.5 4motion with a bad V6 for all the parts. I assume I would have to source a Euro automatic 4motion BHW tdi tranny if one was ever offered. Hopefully Mike at TDtuning could get my ecu to work. My ecu has a stage 2 tdtuning tune.

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Very doable, but as a manual. I am planning to convert a W8 4m to TDI 6 speed M/T. I have all the parts now, just need the time.

You will want to check what the ratio of your rear diff is and find a gearbox to match with TDI ratios.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
why only a manual? Was my hunch right that no 4motion euro tdi BHW automatics were offered over there?

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
I’m doing this swap with an automatic 5hp19fl with a center differential grafted onto it. You can also get a 2.5 TDI 5hp19fla from europe.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I just despise autotragics so I never explored the options :)

You will have to get a box with ratios to match the TCM or it will always be in limp mode.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Interested in the "5hp19fl with a center differential grafted onto it." Is this a 5hp19fl with 5hp19fla rear section and gears, or another combination?

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Interested in the "5hp19fl with a center differential grafted onto it." Is this a 5hp19fl with 5hp19fla rear section and gears, or another combination?
According to the guy who built it it’s the input shaft from the FLA and the center diff from the FLA installed onto the FL using the TDI gears, case, valve body etc. Not sure if it’s actually going to work but no reason it won’t as it’s functionally and effectively the same as the FLA now.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
My Passat was a W8 auto and is now a TDI 6 speed manual. I know the engine and tranny came out of an Audi from Europe. I didn't do the swap but I don't think it was that difficult switching it over to a manual. Some issues fitting the third pedal but people here know how to do that already with all the regular auto to manual swaps happening.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
My Passat was a W8 auto and is now a TDI 6 speed manual. I know the engine and tranny came out of an Audi from Europe. I didn't do the swap but I don't think it was that difficult switching it over to a manual. Some issues fitting the third pedal but people here know how to do that already with all the regular auto to manual swaps happening.
I toyed with manual swap but since I found a basically brand new auto that will work I decided to go this route for now I’m ageing and an auto ain’t so bad after all.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’m doing this swap with an automatic 5hp19fl with a center differential grafted onto it. You can also get a 2.5 TDI 5hp19fla from europe.
The 5HP19FLA is a 4motion tranny that will bolt onto a BHW ie 2.5 tdi and BHW have the same bolt pattern? If so, just get Frans to source it for me along with the TCM?

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Manual swap is easy with all the correct parts. I've done one in a day start to finish with just a few loose ends to finish up. Pedal is easy part.

JonnyObnoxious

TDI
05 VW Passat, 12 VW Touareg TDI
Where did this go? I'm looking at a 04 V6 4mo wagon with a broken timing belt. Can what's the gearing difference? Can I swap the TDI into it? If so, what will be needed to swap?

Last edited: