Don't I need 2 block off plates for my egr delete?? Somebody please help!!!

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I just got the darkside egr delete kit and it only came with one block off plate and I put it on my intake manifold so I don't have anything to put over the exhaust manifold hole that's there from the lower egr pipe. Somebody please giv me some advice. I've been looking and looking and can't find anything

Tabulacose

TDI
2003 4-door Golf TDI
I believe you need one block off plate, and then a race pipe to go into the side mount intercooler. I've been debating doing the EGR delete for a while, let us know how it goes, and If you see much of a difference in warm up time as it gets colder outside.

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I watched that video over and over again lol and the race pipe itself doesn't cover the whole left in the intake manifold from the egr cooler pipe. So I put the one block off plate on the intake manifold and now I have an exhaust leak because the hole from the lower egr pipe that goes into the exhaust manifold. I have like no boost and I dont know what to do

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
I only used one until I bought s second. I would suggest if you are going to go that route, to just add it in between at a connection, and not just pull the tube out and leave it open. I had it between the upper accordion line (attached to the intake) and the heat exchanger (?). It worked alright for a temporary one plate solution.

Edit, mines an AHU though.

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
He is missing a block off plate on the exhaust. Just get a piece of steel 1/4" thick and larger than the gasket, Cut it to size reasonably close to the gasket size. drill mounting holes. Squish the gasket between the newly fabbed blockoff plate and the manifold and go driving. If this is your daily driver of course.
Otherwise contact whoever you got the kit from and wait for the piece you are missing.
Either way when you get the part you can put it on, just one way gets you on the road faster.

Edit: im assuming the egr cooler is already removed and the coolant hoses are sealed up/removed or whatever is involved. I haven't deleted the egr on mine, I just know how to seal a hole.

Last edited:

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
My race pipe wouldn't fit, but there is this one pipe that's operated by vaccum and has a butterfly valve and it has a hose that connects to the intercooler. So I don't know why my race pipe wouldn't fit but I think there's another pipe connected to the butterfly valve one. I just don't know which one the race pipe goes on! Thanks for helpin guys I'm just freakin out because I'm supposed to be going to virginia beach Sunday morning! I'm not near my cr to take pictures right now but I'll definatly put up some I need to get this figured out asap

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Yes the egr cooler is gone and out of the car but do you think just making a block off plate myself would work fine and stop the leak??

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
You just have to seal a hole so I think so. I haven't done this specific mod (the egr delete) but making a blockoff plate I think is all you would need. This I just a way to make the plate oldskool without all the CNC jazz that would come with the bought plate. How big is the hole? A flat piece of steel big enough to cover the hole and bolt down using the threads in the manifold is all you need for materials.

Tabulacose

TDI
2003 4-door Golf TDI
I watched that video over and over again lol and the race pipe itself doesn't cover the whole left in the intake manifold from the egr cooler pipe. So I put the one block off plate on the intake manifold and now I have an exhaust leak because the hole from the lower egr pipe that goes into the exhaust manifold. I have like no boost and I dont know what to do
I can't imagine having any problems after watching that video, It is pretty thorough. Are you sure the kit you got was the correct on for your model? Or maybe one of the previous owners has done something strange with it?

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
The hole isn't big at all it's just the space where the upper egr cooler pipe connected to the intake manifold. I'm gonna make a block off plate tomorrow. Thanks you guys! Much help!

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
You ordered a EGR delete kit for a BEW? If you did, you should have received two block off plates.. One for the intake mani, the other for the exhaust manifold.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
If you use a race pipe, it will eliminate the actual EGR valve bolted to the intake manifold (and eliminate the need for a second plate) and allow you to use the block off plate on the exhaust manifold. The EGR cooler and the actual EGR valve are two different things. If you retain the EGR valve on the intake you will need to buy or make a second block off plate.

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Oh well that's still on and the ASV is also still on I just got confused and put it back together and called it a night

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Also I hope sombody can answer this, is there any pipes that connected to the turbo from the egr cooler? Because I was also freaking out because I had no boost and I'm hoping it's just because of the leak coming from the exhaust manifold that's causing me to have no boost, I have straight pipe exhaust on ot and could hear my turbo spool great before but now I can barely hear it

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
Not trying to be mean or anything but I still hold on my statement from before, in a very strong passion!!!
Take a pic of what you did there brother?

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I don't know how to post them onto here! Haha if someone tells me how to do it from an iPhone I'll take pics in the morning

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
EGR plates are pretty common size check your local auto parts store, carquest was able to find a egr plate for me on there shelf..

ZTruitt7

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Do you think once it put a block off plate on the hole on the exhaust manifold that it should run fine and actually have boost?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
You don't need any blocking plates, just insert a cut piece of shim stock and two gaskets in the lines and EGR flow will be blocked.