Venting an A6?

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
previous: 1997 Jetta (green); 2000 Golf TDI (Silver)
Hey gang,

A friend of mine has an A6 but is not (yet) a member of the club. I was mentioning to her a nifty trick to get more mileage - venting.

She stopped to fill up and I did not recognize the fuel filler neck (did not look anything like my A3 Jetta or A4 Golf).

Is it possible to vent when filling up an A6? Or, otherwise, to keep filling after the pressure stops the nozzle flow? I read one post here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=344096 that suggests we can keep filling up past the pressure stop, but was just curious about the lack of a valve/tab like I was familiar with on previous models.

Thanks.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Mk5 and Mk6 VWs do not have the same vent hardware that the older Mk4s had. Therefore, there is no vent to remove, so a "ventectomy" is not possible. With the newer TDIs you are stuck with however much fuel you can cram into the tank and filler neck. You can't do anything to add additional fuel.

Have Fun!

Don

whenpigsfly514

Veteran Member
TDI
I understand the "vent" concept, but what is the purpose? The car already gets 40+, is 1 mpg going to make that much of a difference?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I understand the "vent" concept, but what is the purpose? The car already gets 40+, is 1 mpg going to make that much of a difference?
A "ventectomy" on a MK4 or the procedure mentioned above are not to improve miles per gallon. The idea is just to be able to squeeze in a little more fuel into the tank. It is not to improve mileage, but to improve range by adding more fuel.

Have Fun!

Don

dabbill

TDI
2012 Prem TDI
Extra 1 gallon per fillup is on average only 1 extra fillup per year. Seems much easyer just to not worry about it and just fill the tank like normal. ;)

dabbill

TDI
2012 Prem TDI
Venting the tank does not give you an increase in MPG, it just allows you to fill the tank completely.

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
Extra 1 gallon per fillup is on average only 1 extra fillup per year. Seems much easyer just to not worry about it and just fill the tank like normal. ;)
This is the main reason I never did the vectectomy on my mk4, there's no point. I don't even top off, I just fill until the pump stops and record my milage.

spanky1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2012, platinum grey(6-spd manual)
I did this on my '03 because I always check my mileage. With the ventectomy, I could continue to fill(and let the foam dissipate), until I saw the liquid level. Very consistent filling. With foaming, it's difficult to be consistent by filling it until it cuts off.