Back in a TDI...Couldn't be more happy.

Mattholew

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
Hello everyone, New guy here, just joined up and thought I would introduce myself.

I just picked up a very nice and lightly used 2000 Golf GL TDI with 99k on the clock! :D And I couldn't be more pleased with it. Its is everything I thought it could be. It was the only 2 door TDI Golf I could find and thank goodness it was very well cared for without high miles.

This is not my family's first TDI though, my wife had a NB TDI with the works for about 2 months (3400 miles on it) before she accidently pulled out in front of a Suburban running 45mph, it totaled it but she was fine suffering only one laceration to her wrist.

To date our extended family owns 5 TDI's right now that see daily use (1 Passat, 2 Jettas, 1 New Beetle, and my Golf), so to say we like TDI's is an understatement.

Anyway, I'm happy to be driving a TDI again and also glad I found this site, it has already been a great resource for solving a couple small problems on my Golf.

1. Broken Dipstick Tube
2. Whistling noise under hard acceleration

Plans for the Golf are simple right now. I would like to get my hands on some 18" BBS rims for it and probably at least have it chipped for now. Then who knows, time and money will decide.

Well, here she is in all her glory.

-Matt

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
nice 2 door,

have one myself.. they are quite fun with RC3 & Sprints :)

Mattholew

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
Growler, I was just looking at your thread and already learned something about my Golf as well. It is a WVW serial number so I guess mine is also made in Germany? Cool!!

Im such a newb, but Im reading as fast as I can and trying to learn all I can about my new pride and joy.

I love the look you have with yours, the 16's are beefier looking and the stance is great. I think you have convinced me to bail on the 18's idea and go with a nice 16 with some good meaty tires on them. I bet it rides a helluva lot better than 18's eh?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Ive never driven a car with rubber band tires.. (18s) can't afford the tires or the mileage hit they would cause.

Im personally thinking abou ttryign to find a nice set of 15s for my next set of tires. just to see if my mileage improves.

altho with the RC3 and the mods I have, i can easily chirp the tires in 2nd gear at about 25mph. Just by stopming on the go pedal good times.. I can only imagine how short the 195 series tires would last with that kind of power on tap :) :)

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Mattholew

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
Growler,

Look at the photo of the rear of my car. Notice how the tailights seem to be two different shades. Any idea why this would be so, I noticed it yesterday when following my car.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
if the car was in an accident or if the right taillight was replaced. it looks like you have a smoked tail on the driver side, and a normal on on the passenger side..

it doesnt have a film of soot on it on the drivers side one does it? that could do it too, but thats a bit obvious since the car is clean elsewhere.

Mattholew

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
So there is a smoked version (not necessarily by SOOT! :D ) and a normal version?

The Carfax on this car shows clear of any accidents, former owner stated it was never in an accident, but that doesn't rule out kid with stick, mower threw a rock, etc etc that may have busted one of them.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
The one on the right is a gti take off (I think). they are "smoked", but are still red/ amber. see my pics, original vs. oem r32 take-offs.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
If you want them to match, I recommend keeping your eyes open over on the 'tex... people unload stock tails all the time when they upgrade. BTW, I agree about 18" wheels. My 17's cost me about 4 mpg, are rough on these indiana roads, and cost an arm/ leg when I blow sidewalls on potholes. I couldn't imagine trying to pay for 18's.
N

Mark Rudella

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf - Reflex Silver
Just on a side note, I've always had a hard time keeping tread on my 17s. It seems like no matter what I do, correct alignment and all, I can only get 20k miles on front tires. Different brands, everything....you name it.

I just shelled out $230 for front replacements again. I couldn't imagine paying for 18s...wow....

My suggestion to you sir, which I am going to do if I don't get acceptable miles from these tires, is to find a set of 16s or 15s that you like and run them.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
mark- I couldn't agree more. I switched to khumo's last time. they are cheap (relatively) and have good rain tread. They seem to be holding up well so far 15K+ and plenty of tread for another 15K.

Mattholew

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
I will take your opinions to heart. I am too cheap to pay for the 17's and 18's anyway.

For now, I just ordered a $50 replacement hub cap for the one Im missing, and plan on running the stock tires till there used up. Then I may look for some 15 or 16" replacement wheels.

BTW, I do like the look of your Golf with the black rims, thats nice!!

Mattholew

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
Also, both my Scion xB and my wifes Expedition have Kumho's on them, and I could not be happier with their performance and price.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
too bad you paid 50 for a wheel cover... I have some (three of that exact set) for sale in another thread that I would practically give away!