Fuel injector pump seals

korco

TDI
2003 jetta TDI
My 2003 Jetta TDI is leaking fuel from the top of the injector pump. Are there gaskets or seals available to possibly change the top seal to stop my leak? It still runs, I tightened the bolts slightly, which did help some. However aluminum will strip easily. Don't want to replace the pump, too much money. Hoping to possibly change the top seal. Any suggestions are appreciated.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Do some searching. Lotsa info on this here.

Be aware there is another seal below the one you have leaking that will likely start leaking soon but changing it requires VCDS software on a computer to get the pump reassembled correctly.

Then there's the seal on the pump head.

These leaks may drip on the coolant hoses beneath the pump and ruin them.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Thank you so much. Ordered the seal kit for my injector pump. I'll post the results once I get the parts and install.

Unless you are really experienced in changing out the seals I would recommend you follow these youtube videos put together by members on this forum, runonbeer and corrado tdi.

There are 7 of them that walk you through the process step by step. I would watch them before getting started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR44StvcXms

blkhatsilhouette

TDI
2003 Wolfsburg Jetta TDI
The videos are perfect, take your time and watch them through before you start. I just did this last week as I had a bad leak on the side. Make sure you have a dental pick and duct tape, these were two very useful items. Putting a rag up on top of the plenum cover so you can shift your bolts and pieces up is very important to keeping them organized and clean. If you're just doing the top two seals, shouldn't be too difficult, make sure you have the correct triangle type pump socket.

If you're going to pull off the side, I would recommend getting the round seal from diesel geek as well if you use any biodiesel blends, as they're Viton and hold up longer. The seals in the Bosch Kit has Viton, but not the round head-side seal (these are green in the kit I believe and are not Viton rubber).

If you're pull off the side, turning the engine is important for the spring tension... if not changing these side o-ring, then I doubt this is in any way necessary. I think pulling the timing belt cover off is a waste of time, as it's easier to access and turn the 12 point 19mm crank bolt IMO. I would still turn the engine manually when you're done before turning it on to make sure nothing is binding up, just in case.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Giving the engine a good pressure wash, including the Injection Pump, makes for a good clean job. Be sure to cover the Alternator or at least do not hit it directly with high pressure. Although the little cover on the top edge of voltage regulator has a rubber seal, high pressure will introduce water where you do not want it. (I always add RTV sealing to that area.) I've done several IP re-seals and all of been successful.

Yes, as suggested, watch the YouTube videos ........ quite helpful!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Just my thoughts... Three people in my shop did a FAIL using the procedure to replace the head seal and broke the distributor shaft on the pump head. We sell a used pump head for $400. Maybe you can get a head cheaper, but the best thing is to avoid the 'in place' repair.

It may lose the engine timing, but the time to bench the injection pump, it is much easier to see what you are doing and how to pull the pump back into place with the injection pump held verticle in a vise. That way, tightening the bolts back into place is obvious and less of a problem. Also, when removing the pump head, the shim, which you need to place between the drive shaft end and the pump shaft, can be held into place with a very small dot of wheel bearing grease. That will keep it from falling off when installing the pump head.

I wonder how many people have tried the youtube method shown and broke the pump head distributor shaft. Just this week, we got a call from someone who watched the video and failed exactly as I warn about... he broke the distributor shaft for the pump head. At this point, a different pump head may be found, but the shimming needs to be checked for proper stroke. We perform that service. and carry several of the spacing shims.

Yes, it requires a bit more time to reestablish engine timing. Yes, the procedure requires removal of the injection pump. But I have never broken a pump head with my method. And the 'fear factor' of dropping a shim is gone.

Once you have a good look at the internal operation of the pump and understand how simple much of it is (especially compared to a mechanical pump), you will be better able to judge the quality of the pump and it's maintenance needs.

Also, using my method, the chance for stray dirt entering the pump is gone. Washing the pump off in place can still leave stray dirt. A grain of sand can stop an injector from working and is another way you can compound your problems. It's best to have the pump head and body clean, inside and out for reassembly.

It's Thanksgiving. I wish everyone a great day. Enjoy the family and all the festivities.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
This pump head had to come out due to the O-ring sticking in the groove. (done in place)

Below, as Frank stated, grease will hold the shim in place. I used Vaseline..

Below, going back together, I used a large size paper clip to hold the Cam Plate in place.

I've done several Injection Pump re-seals with it in place. That's my preferred method of doing it. But, Frank makes a solid good point, obviously by what he's seen and experienced.

Last edited:

jerryfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS sedan @295K, 99 Jetta sedan 275k,. 2015 tdi sedan, 105k
did pump head repair with dieselgeek kit today

success.

the extra parts were helpful but not critical, for the stop screw you could use the regular screw and visually back the pump out to expose the o-ring. caps were useful but only really fit the IP, they were too small and kept falling off my injectors during the process.

for those who just want the viton o-rings, i measured them and heres the part number at mcmaster, $6 for a 10-pack

https://www.mcmaster.com/9464K142