Question for owners of Hex-COM+CAN

fnjimmy!

Chucklechump
TDI
TDIdiot
I've had this interface for years and it's worked flawlessly (thanks Ross-Tech!) for me in a variety of supported and unsupported configurations. These include:

Windows XP Home, Pro, natively on Thinkpads with built in serial ports.
Ubuntu (Jaunty) under WINE on a Thinkpad with built in serial port.
OSX 10.6.6 running VMWare Fusion 3.x hosting XP Pro using an FTDI-B based USB->serial adapter on an HP Mini 311 Netbook with custom bios and kernel extensions.
OSX 10.6.8 running VMWare Fusion 3.x hosting XP Pro using an FTDI-B based USB->serial adapter on a 13" MacBookPro.

The caveat here is despite the CAN functionality of the interface, I've not had occasion to use it until recently and as of yet have not been able to successfully connect to any module in the car in question despite being able to initially test the interface with "OK" or "Ready" statuses where appropriate.

What I'm trying to determine is if anyone here has had success using a Hex-COM+CAN interface to communicate with a CAN Bus car via a USB->serial adapter in any platform/OS. I don't need to be reminded that Ross-Tech explicitly declares that the configuration I'm attempting to use is not supported. As you can see from the list of successful configurations I've had experience with, "unsupported" does not necessarily guarantee something won't work. I've tried searching the forums and I read the OBD FAQ sticky, but the forum search tool drops the term "CAN" so I've had a hard time filtering to relevant threads, and the google site:tdiclub.com method hasn't been much help either.

Hints, tips and suggestions are appreciated :)

Santos_V

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor
http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.html#1.5 said:
For registered users with HEX-COM or HEX-COM+CAN interfaces, we can supply a modified FT232B based USB<->Serial converter, which is compatible with the "Direct" drivers provided with VCDS version 10.6 and newer, and is fully supported by us.
Send me an email with your serial number.

Santos_V

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor
Hmm, I'm still here. I remember our conversation but don't remember the outcome. I'll do some searching and get back to you, later today.

BeartheBruce

Vendor
Well, since you were "working" from home yesterday, I thought it appropriate to fumigate your desk! Warning signs are necessary to keep the rest of us away from the hazards... Did you find them yet?

And "working" from home... didn't ya really mean that you needed an extended nap and were willing to have phone calls interrupt it?
-------
While I bust on Santos, he is a great guy and it is unusual for him to miss an email...

But instructions/directions I give? Well, this goes back to the "working" issue...

We do have fun and it makes the day go fast.....