Has hard time shifting into first gear. Especially in cold weather. Once shifted into

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic, 2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd. Manual. Malone Stage 2
Has hard time shifting into first gear. Especially in cold weather. Once shifted into first gear after a considerable amount of reviving and time it runs fine after that

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Diesel Geek first gear getter

I would consider the whole bushing kit, which should have the FGG included.

LOL, it was early and I didn't catch the Auto in your signature, as pointed out by jettawreck below.

Ignore this, unless it's a manual.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Has hard time shifting into first gear. Especially in cold weather. Once shifted into first gear after a considerable amount of reviving and time it runs fine after that
Sounds like a manual transmission issue but the one in your signature line is an automatic. Give us a bit more info.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If it's an auto, it has the 09a transmission. They're known for having the first and sometimes second gear solenoid sticking when cold. Vendors sell solenoid kits and valve bodies.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic, 2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd. Manual. Malone Stage 2
I tried draining transmission fluid and replacing with Mobil 1 ATF and it seems to have fixed the problem of not going forward in Drive when cold.

Sbieshelt

TDI
Jetta passat
I went thru something similar over the last year. My solution was replace the solenoids in the transmission. I have a 04 BEW with automatic trans. I did learn a work around. Drive in first, put in neutral, turn off car, restart car, put in gear all while coasting down the road. I would do this once or twice in the morning and it would run the rest of the way fine to work. It was a pain in the butt but it is a work around. I drove it that way for a few months and my son drove it like that to school for about 6 months as I was looking for someone to replace the solenoids. I ended up just doing it my self. Good luck