Moving from the Bay State (MA) to Bay Area (CA)

Dale Wehrle

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 2 Dr
Hi all!
I'll be moving to the Bay Area the beginning of December as part of a permanent relocation from Massachusetts. I'll be working in Sunnyvale.

I've been the proud and fanatic owner of a wonderful 2001 Jetta GLS TDI, and want to bring this vehicle with me. I realize that I'm gonna have to register this vehicle (along with having my license converted), but am not sure of how difficult it is to get a TDI smogged, and even if it is necessary.
Here in MA we have been exempt from emissions testing, TDIs only need go through a safety inspection.

Exactly how problematic will it be for me to bring this vehicle, which has 63,000mi on the clock, to California?

Any folks who might have insight/recommendations or helpful tidbits of information would be GREATLY appreciated.

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
no smog or safety(don't have) check required in ca for diesel cars. you don't have any problems registering your car here. welcome to ca.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Welcome to CA, Dale! Check this section more often, there will be quiet few events in the next couple of months, so you can meet al of us. Sunnyvale is very close to where I work, so if you need vag-com or whatever else, we can even do it during lunch time..... And before you ask - you can refuel everywhere you wish, the fuel is higher quality everywhere.

aggiegrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Re: Moving from the Bay State (MA) to Bay Area (CA

I recently moved from Texas, and had absolutely no problems registering the TDI here. No smog; reasonable registration fee. Welcome to CA.

Dale Wehrle

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 2 Dr

Thanks all! Looking forward to catching up with everyone once the dust settles. Now to figure out if my motorcycle endorsement is easily transferrable...

Dale Wehrle

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 2 Dr

Helmet, yeah. That I'm very familiar with, it's the law here in MA as well...

Ghoulie

Veteran Member
TDI
`03 Jetta TDI GL, Platinum Grey

Hey Dale;
Welcome!!! You're in luck. You're relocating to an area that's got a bunch of realy cool TDIer's & you're timing is perfect, Peter Pyce is pulling together one hella GTG in January!!! See you on the SFBA roads next month......
Ghoulie