Vendor Accountability Thread

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Of course it has to do with that - you said it yourself. Did you not read your own post that you linked above? You asked us if we could swap out an existing belt for a *higher* priced belt in a timing belt kit without charging the difference, much like asking for a baked potato over green beens in meal and not pay the difference. We told you we couldn't, and now we're here. Nobody was rude to you that day, nobody asked you to not come into our store again, we didn't show you a "lack of customer service" by telling you that we could not do that without charging you the difference. We told you, like we tell a good amount of ALH guys (we get asked a lot), that no, we're sorry, but you'd have to pay the difference. You know this and we know this...

The deal here now, however, is very transparent in that it's no longer really about being told you'd have to pay the difference for the higher priced belt, but rather that now you're being called on it and feel a tad silly because of it now. The "customer service" we gave you was just fine at the time you made your purchase (and you said that). There isn't a shortage in customer service when an establishment tells you that they cannot substitute a higher priced part and the customer not be charged the difference. Again, you're just perturbed now because we're not backing down from our stand about how extremely trivial, if not completely, unwarranted this siliness is. I think you'd be the first person to have the audacity to post a 'negative review' about a company based on the fact that they wouldn't give you free parts. Like I said, however, I think we both know it's because you were called on it and our response to the ridiculousness of your post. The fact that you decided to post in this particular thread solidifies that, as you purchased the kit years ago. Why put it here now? Like I said...
As I stated very clearly in the other thread, the timing belt substitution request a few YEARS ago had nothing to do with prompting my comment in the linked thread. It was your self-righteous response to the other poster who appeared to have a legitimate gripe and who laid out the facts with little or no emotion. Instead of just taking the "customer is always right" and determining what you can do to prevent a further recurrence, you seemed to attack that person. I then commented on your attitude and shared the timing belt substitution issue (which had to be at least 3 years ago- why would I bring that up by itself here now as the issue to hold you accountable?), along with a thread in another forum that shows a pattern of poor communication and customer service. As I stated in the other thread, if MJM would have explained why they couldn't substitute the belt in my phone conversation, then I wouldn't have had an issue. At the time I was under the impression that the belts were sold individually at the SAME price, so couldn't understand why one belt at the same price could not be substituted for another. This was not explained to me at all- only that they wouldn't do it. This was not a huge deal in and of itself, and I did purchase a few things from MJM after that incident. I only brought it up at this point as part of the whole picture of your customer service, along with the communication issues we've dealt with and the issue from the other forum. Please note that the example I shared from the other forum had little to do with whether or not you'd substitute a part for the guy, and everything to do with how you handled the situation. You compounded the issue by attacking the customer. Was he a jerk? Maybe, but it is expected that you can handle people being jerks without responding with the same.

Maybe I'm old-school, but when a business has a customer point out an issue, then the real proof of that business is how they handle the problem. You seem to miss the forest for the trees, and think that digging in your heels, having the last word, and questioning the customer's integrity lets you "win". It is what it is, let the reader make the decision on whether they want to do business with you, but I thought people should know what they're potentially getting into.

I think posts from people who haven't had a problem with a vendor have very little weight: we should expect no problems when we pay people our money for their service! If there is a unforeseen issue, or a mistake is made, then its how the business handles the issue that is most important in my book.

I hope I've made my point, and hopefully you can come up with a way of saving your image. I'm not sure how, but good luck.

MJM Autohaus

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
As I stated very clearly in the other thread, the timing belt substitution request a few YEARS ago had nothing to do with prompting my comment in the linked thread. It was your self-righteous response to the other poster who appeared to have a legitimate gripe and who laid out the facts with little or no emotion.
You can use the choice of words you'd like, and if "self-righteous" is how you'd like to put, so be it. That's your opinion, but when we feel a post is unwarranted (or inaccurate), we're going to speak on it. In today's world, if you're doing anything but agreeing with someone, you're labeled "self-righteous", huh? Duly noted. Thank you. And yes, you made a comment about us not being able to eat the cost of a higher priced item for you and had the audacity to bring that up in an effort to use this example, as well as your other one, to measure our "customer service" here. Of course now that you see how trivia (sorry, I'd like to use a different word than that, but don't want to come off as "self-righteous), you're somewhat trying to withdraw from it and digress.

Instead of just taking the "customer is always right" and determining what you can do to prevent a further recurrence, you seemed to attack that person.
Nobody was being attacked, but rather facts were pointed out. The particular fella in question (assuming you're referring to the compressor customer) was nothing short of nice, understanding, patient and with the "I understand, no biggie, stuff happens, no problem!" attitude on the phone with us, yet jumps on the forums and paints an entirely different picture online. I pointed that out here, that's all. He wasn't attacked, insulted or anything of that nature. In fact, nothing he said was inaccurate. How's that for some honesty? Not something you see much nowadays is it? Our supplier goofed up. It happens every blue moon. Interesting that now that your posts seems a bit unwarranted, you're going with the, "Well now I'm going to harp on how you responded to that forum member!" card. Interesting.

I then commented on your attitude and shared the timing belt substitution issue (which had to be at least 3 years ago- why would I bring that up by itself here now as the issue to hold you accountable?), along with a thread in another forum that shows a pattern of poor communication and customer service.
The only "pattern" here is that you, like that E46 owner (which you were compelled to find via Google (giggle) and post here in an effort for "some help"), seem to be the types to "start the ole thread" because you couldn't get a "deal" on something that costs us more money (you) or something that do not have altogether (him). No error on an order, no shipping the customer a bad part, no declining a warranty, no installing a customer's product wrong in the shop, no taking an order and not shipping a product. You know, things that are legitimate gripes in the world of doing business that should not happen. No, none of that; but rather a situation where a fella wanted the same deal on part number A that we were doing on part number B. Sound like someone you know? How ironic that you'd find and link that particular thread (of all MJM online gripes). Come on, there has to be one on the Vortex somewhere that you can find were we shipped a customer a blue hose when he ordered red one or a left when a right was ordered. You would have looked much better in your attempt to "call out the vendor" had you done that. You know, like an instance where we actually made a mistake of some kind. As chance would have it, that particular person was just a guy who wanted something we couldn't provide for him; nothing more and nothing less. Do you also "start the ole thread" when your corner store is out of Pepsi and cannot substitute and other soda at the same price? That's precisely what you and Mr. E46 did. He acted liked we screwed him over or something, all because we didn't have the part on the shelf he wanted. And speaking of "attacking", he did just that (in addition to flat out lying). Sorry, but that does not go over well us. And why are we discussing some BMW guy right now? Let's discuss ways to service TDI owners, can we?

As I stated in the other thread, if MJM would have explained why they couldn't substitute the belt in my phone conversation, then I wouldn't have had an issue.
So when a customer says, "I see that you have a 'Brand A' belt on your site, but this timing kit I'm looking at picking up includes the 'Brand B' belt, but I'd like the 'Brand A' belt instead at no additional cost!" and we tell you that we cannot do it without charging the difference, you want us to explain to you *why* we cannot do it? Are you being serious here? You're asking why a belt $20 more in price cannot be substituted at no additional cost? You honestly would not know the answer to that on your own? You're saying that "Because it's more in price" wouldn't be obvious? Okay, I'm now convinced that you're trolling if you have to ask this. I'm sorry, but this is now getting out of hand and I cannot believe you'd actually post what you just above.

At the time I was under the impression that the belts were sold individually at the SAME price, so couldn't understand why one belt at the same price could not be substituted for another.
You'd be incorrect, as those two belts have *never* been the same price and I know for a fact that you know that because you mentioned it on the phone with us. Like already mentioned, we remember you and know exactly who you are. We don't have a plethora of ALH customers in San Antonio here local to us. They can be counted on one hand. This is getting to be hilarious. With all due respect, I think you need to just stop now, as this is becoming a debacle of semantics and ridiculousness. I mean, if you just want to argue about stuff that you know we know did not take place and you have nothing else better to do, we'll oblige, but please give us a call, as you're wasting Fred's precious bandwidth. Call us and we'll discuss further.

This was not explained to me at all- only that they wouldn't do it. This was not a huge deal in and of itself, and I did purchase a few things from MJM after that incident. I only brought it up at this point as part of the whole picture of your customer service, along with the communication issues we've dealt with and the issue from the other forum.
Which was already addressed above. Redundancy. This is getting silly.

Please note that the example I shared from the other forum had little to do with whether or not you'd substitute a part for the guy, and everything to do with how you handled the situation. You compounded the issue by attacking the customer. Was he a jerk? Maybe, but it is expected that you can handle people being jerks without responding with the same.
Sorry, but when one lies and attempts to bad-mouth our company, you better believe we will draw out the facts, point out the details that *always* so conveniently get left out (happens every time) and defend our company. Like I said, if we make an error, you'll seeing nothing more than a very humble and apologetic response of, "We're terribly sorry for the mix up. We'll see that it does not happen again, sir. Can we offer you 50% off your next purchase, Gift Card or free KONI t-shirt?" We have absolutely made errors before and have no problem making it right if we do. You, however, as well as Mr. E46, were not the case with this and the both of you made unwarranted posts. That is 100% okay, though,as it's a free country and your opinions and posts are well within your right. It's also within our right to respond and we always will, especially with unwarranted and trivia things like yours and his.

I think posts from people who haven't had a problem with a vendor have very little weight: we should expect no problems when we pay people our money for their service! If there is a unforeseen issue, or a mistake is made, then its how the business handles the issue that is most important in my book.
100% agreed there. And in a matter of where this is pertient with said A/C compressor customer in the other thread, we did just that. Did we not? A call tag was sent, the item picked up from his home and the correct one was shipped. Was it not? Our supplier made an error, it was handled. Done. Again, this was not the case with you, however. We like to apologize for everything in the world to go 100% perfect as planned. You are right, we are wrong, and we'll work harder to be better. Thanks.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
...So when a customer says, "I see that you have a 'Brand A' belt on your site, but this timing kit I'm looking at picking up includes the 'Brand B' belt, but I'd like the 'Brand A' belt instead at no additional cost!" and we tell you that we cannot do it without charging the difference, you want us to explain to you *why* we cannot do it? Are you being serious here? You're asking why a belt $20 more in price cannot be substituted at no additional cost? You honestly would not know the answer to that on your own? You're saying that "Because it's more in price" wouldn't be obvious? Okay, I'm now convinced that you're trolling if you have to ask this. I'm sorry, but this is now getting out of hand and I cannot believe you'd actually post what you just above.

You'd be incorrect, as those two belts have *never* been the same price and I know for a fact that you know that because you mentioned it on the phone with us. Like already mentioned, we remember you and know exactly who you are. We don't have a plethora of ALH customers in San Antonio here local to us. They can be counted on one hand. This is getting to be hilarious. With all due respect, I think you need to just stop now, as this is becoming a debacle of semantics and ridiculousness. I mean, if you just want to argue about stuff that you know we know did not take place and you have nothing else better to do, we'll oblige, but please give us a call, as you're wasting Fred's precious bandwidth. Call us and we'll discuss further. ....
You've never met me because I've never been in your store :rolleyes:.

I didn't find that bimmerfest link by googling :rolleyes:. I am a member over there and came across that thread when it was started back in Feb. I didn't comment then because I DID think that guy was being a jerk, BTW. That does not excuse your handling of that situation. If you contend that the guy was making stuff up then go on over to bimmerfest and confront him there. Although I believe he is a bit of a jerk, I do not think he'd make things up.

I did not live in San Antonio when I called you to ask about the belt. You may be mixing me up with someone else since this happened at least 3 yrs ago. I know that when I called I made it clear that since both belts were the same price that I wanted to do a simple substitution. I was quite surprised that you couldn't/wouldn't substitute the belt being at the same price, and told you so when I was on the phone. Whoever I talked to that day did not tell me that I was mistaken and that the two were priced differently. That would have been simple enough to do and simple enough for me to understand. So I doubt you are remembering my incident accurately. I'm not dishonest, so I would not make this up to try to make you look bad. Sounds like it was at a minimum poor communication on your part when I was on the phone. I have personally seen evidence of your poor communication since when my son-in-law ordered parts for in store pickup and made unnecessary trips over there when he was not informed of delays in his shipments. Your poor communication can also be seen in the v-dub-u compressor fiasco that came from the other link. The communication can be improved readily by changing your procedures. Your attitude, however, is the more challenging issue :eek:.

I will not be calling you or stopping by to discuss ;).

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
so i wonder when kyle is going to post in here about the ahu valve spring issue...

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
Quality issues with SBC Southbend Clutch

I am forced to post this after my third clutch and forth flywheel from SBC. They represent there product as high quality in a specialty market and the cost is on the high side.

My experience has been exactly opposite of that abismal.

In the first shipment the clutch flywheel, and pressure plate had some sort of corrosion on it. The throw out bearing was damaged and paint defects on the pressure plate.

SBC agreed that it needed to be replaced.

Second shipment they took the returned clutch and then spray painted over the paint defect and sent the original clutch back with the damaged throw out bearing. It had worse corrosion on it that when the first shipment. I know it was the same one because I marked it.

SBC agreed to work with myself and the distributor again.

When speaking directly with SBC they denied they made any mistakes

Third shipment everything was fine except for the flywheel which when ground on the back side it has pitting or cavities that are lacking metal from when the flywheel was molded. Meaning that this could be present throught the flywheel. This could cause uneven heat dispersment, uneven rotation, and possible failure.

They refused to help any further and told me to contact the distributor I purchased from.

To the distributors credit he ordered another flywheel but it came in with the same cavities that are lacking metal from when the flywheel was molded.

Currently I am at a loss because I have a clutch that I am not sure is safe to install from a company who refuses to help me.

Please refer to photographic proof in my folder http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=120871

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Mine looked similar to the pictures you posted.. The voids in the flywheel weren't as big though.. It's still together after 3 years of me beating the crap out of it..

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
SBC South Bend Clutch broken promises

Mine looked similar to the pictures you posted.. The voids in the flywheel weren't as big though.. It's still together after 3 years of me beating the crap out of it..
My point is for the amount you pay and still not getting a quality product after four attempts one soley supported by the distributor is not satifactory and quite abismal.

With the pictures you have seen and my timeline being 5 months is not called customer service or building and supplying a quality part.

The first time sending a clutch full of corrosion and a damaged throwout bearing.

The second time spray painting it and sending the same part back in worse condition.
"We have not made any mistakes"
"I will make sure there are no discolorations, marks, dings, or scratches on this next clutch. It will leave here in mint condition."

Third time sending one with the voids in the flywheel.
"I have done all that I am willing to do. This is the last response that you will get from me." "Talk to the distributor"

Unsatisfactory for a quality aftermarket part supplier.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
My SBC flywheel has a significantly better appearance. However, printed on the flywheel is "Made in China". For $625, I'm not sure whether to expect something of good quality or not. I guess I'll find out when I install it.

It really is a bummer though. Selling a bad clutch is like selling a bad timing belt. For the hours lost in installation, you just have to have quality parts every time. If it takes more than 3 hours to install a part, then it better be a damned good part. If I have to pull a transmission out of a car more than once, I'm going to be mad.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
My SBC flywheel has a significantly better appearance. However, printed on the flywheel is "Made in China". For $625, I'm not sure whether to expect something of good quality or not. I guess I'll find out when I install it.

It really is a bummer though. Selling a bad clutch is like selling a bad timing belt. For the hours lost in installation, you just have to have quality parts every time. If it takes more than 3 hours to install a part, then it better be a damned good part. If I have to pull a transmission out of a car more than once, I'm going to be mad.
Did you buy your clutch from a certified distributor as I did. You can check on there website? http://www.southbendclutch.com/distributors.html

None of my parts are made in China they are Sachs and inhouse modifications from SBC.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K

82chester

TDI
Jetta AEG,ALH,BEW,BRM; Golf ACC
**Updated**

Everyone is busy busy, but it all worked out!

Thanks

Last edited:

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Talked to both Aaron and Brian on Tuesday Aug.21st. They are busy-busy. He will come through, just hold on. If you want, try calling again. Mondays are generally a very busy day for them, so a Tues. or Wed. is probably better!

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
4 try for SBC Clutch only because vendor paid total failure on South Bend Clutch

This is the 4th try to get the clutch sold to me by SBC right and they screw up a pin on the flywheel which causes the pressure plate not to mount. The shorter one is 6mm and the others are 11mm.

Plus the usual cavaties in the metal of which I think it is normal now since this is my second time getting them on the flywheel. Missing material off the flywheel and another picture of who knows.

Take a look http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=120871

Thing is South Bend Clutch does not care!!!! They told me "This is the last email we will respond to"

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you get your SBC setup from a vendor on this forum? SouthBend doesn't sell anything directly on this forum..

The pins just have to be in the pressure plate far enough to line it up.. If the holes don't go through to the other side, grab the pin with vise grips and work it out a little.. If they do, take a punch and tap it out some.. Looks like it only has to come out about 1-1.5mm to have full engagement..

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you get your SBC setup from a vendor on this forum? SouthBend doesn't sell anything directly on this forum..

The pins just have to be in the pressure plate far enough to line it up.. If the holes don't go through to the other side, grab the pin with vise grips and work it out a little.. If they do, take a punch and tap it out some.. Looks like it only has to come out about 1-1.5mm to have full engagement..
Yes and they have spent too much money themselves, SBC has made them spend probably half of the money and not reimbursed them. What you are suggesting may not hold and the pin will come out in operation. They only fit in with pressure.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So pull the pin out a little, line everything up and tighten the pressure plate bolts, then tap the pin all the way back down if it makes you feel better.. Thos pins are only there to center the pressure plate while the bolts are still loose.. They are under no stress at all once everything is bolted together and are only subject to the force of being spun around in circles.. You can pull the pin completely out after you torque the pressure plate bolts if you wanted.. This way there's no possibility of it coming out at a later time..

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
So pull the pin out a little, line everything up and tighten the pressure plate bolts, then tap the pin all the way back down if it makes you feel better.. Thos pins are only there to center the pressure plate while the bolts are still loose.. They are under no stress at all once everything is bolted together and are only subject to the force of being spun around in circles.. You can pull the pin completely out after you torque the pressure plate bolts if you wanted.. This way there's no possibility of it coming out at a later time..
You did not see the cavaties of missing material and other issues as well?

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You did not see the cavaties of missing material and other issues as well?
Ya I commented on the flywheel before.. Mine looked similar.. I'm still thrashing that clutch on a daily basis.. As far as the chipped paint from the pressure plate, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.. It's just paint... If you want a spray painted assembly to be absolutely flawless, you should probably go for a clutch set that costs $1.5k and you'll get something show quality..

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
Ya I commented on the flywheel before.. Mine looked similar.. I'm still thrashing that clutch on a daily basis.. As far as the chipped paint from the pressure plate, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.. It's just paint... If you want a spray painted assembly to be absolutely flawless, you should probably go for a clutch set that costs $1.5k and you'll get something show quality..
I prefer to call a truse here with you and your opinion is noted, but I am sure that there are others here who expect to get a quality product for $650+ and not have to make modifications to a product they bought to bring it up to a new out of box condition when they already paid for it.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
$650 doesn't sound like that much, our better clutches are more in the region of twice that price. That's about the standard for a VR6 sachs clutch and flywheel. Their sports stuff is way dearer than that.

dcwilson

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
David from OSMW.ca

Would like to share my experience with David@Ottostadt from OSMW.ca here for you guys. Very disappointed with the service from him, and I recommend purchasing a Grom adapter product elsewhere.
I purchased a Grom Audio Aux-In adapater with Bluetooth adapter and radio tools from OSMW.ca on October 4, 2012. I received everything on October 11th, everything looked great except the Aux cable that was supplied with the Grom box only had a single 3.5mm jack, no USB, which it is suppose to have. Contacted David about it and he said that cable was backordered so he sent me this one. We'll that's not what I ordered.. so he said he'd send me the correct cable when he gets them in, all good.

So I install the Grom module and BlueTooth adapter into my car. I love it, it is awesome, great investment. BUT there's a problem. For some reason my stereo will not stay in the CD changer mode when the grom module is in use. The radio kicks itself back to the regular radio or CD if there's one it in. Totally random problem that happens on a off at random times, rendering the module useless. I contact David about it and he tells me to talk to Grom about it. So I talk to Grom try multiple firmwares, etc etc and nothing seems to be resolving the issue. So I decide to mail the module to Grom for a replacement and see if that fixes my problems. Before mailing it, I email David and tell him what I'm going to do but want to make sure that I'll be able to still return the module to him if this doesn't work. his response is:
"No problem with refunding you the amount for the GromUnit/accessories you bought minus shipping fees.
Let me know how it turns out, hopefully it works with a replacement box!!"

So all is good, I send the module back to Grom for a replacement. Get my new Grom box in the mail a week or two later, hook it up to the car to test it out and it's still having the issue. I try another firmware from Grom, still doesnt work :(. I'm so disheartened because I want to use this thing so bad. At this point I've given up, there seems to be an issue with my stereo, it just doesn't like the Grom module so I have to return it to David.

He had been extremely understanding with everything throughout this whole process, almost too good to be true... So I let him know that I'm going to send it back, he gives me the address and says please send it back in "resaleable" condition with everything it came with. No problem, I removed everything from my car, bundle it all up as it came, back into their boxes and into the mail back to David. I also let him know the box isn't in the greatest shape from the shipping labels sending it to and from Grom.
So today Nov 29th, David lets me know he recieved my Grom module and accessories in the mail. I'll let the following emails speak for themselves... (emails removed for privacy)

From:David Gelinas Sent:November-29-12 7:17:49 AMTo: Dustin Wilson
Hello Dustin,

I received your package this morning, the bluetooth adapter is missing the double sided tape sticker for the microphone, do you have it laying around somewhere?

As I explained to you, I need to get this back in "as new" condition (including everything) to be able to resell it to someone else without having to give a discount. If I don't have all the parts included with it I'll have to charge a 25% restocking fee...

Let me know if you find it,

David

From:Dustin Wilson Sent:November-29-12 9:16:39 AMTo: David Gelinas
Hey David,

You're joking right? A 25% restocking fee for a piece of tape? I figured I'd save you the trouble and not send you a used piece of tape... It was stuck to my windshield when it was installed rendering it unusable after pulling it off, that's common knowledge. Call me crazy if I think a 25% restocking fee for a piece of tape is ridiculous? I think most would agree with me..

-Dustin

From:David Gelinas Sent:November-29-12 9:22:24 AMTo: Dustin Wilson
Like I told you, it has to be in "like new" condition, whatever it is (could have been a messed up manual) that isn't new.

Reverse rolls, i send you this interface which you paid full retail price for and it has a double sided piece of tape stuck to it (which will show its not OEM) plus the packaging is opened up, you'll probably email me *****ing that you paid for something new and it's not what you received.

When you go to walmart to buy a toaster, you can pick between 2 toasters, one that the box is all flipped outside down and one that's new, which one do you choose?

Same thing.

David GelinasOSMW - VW/Audi/Euro

From:Dustin Wilson Sent:November-29-12 9:57:08 AMTo: David Gelinas
Okay so this goes against you saying you'll take the return then? Did you not expect the box to be open?? I guess I could have sent you the used tape?
Clearly this was coming back as an open item as I installed it and have been trying to get it to work for the past month..
If you're not prepared to take returns, you really shouldn't offer it to customers. Accepting returns does mean open boxes, and used double sided tape FYI. It comes with the territory of being a merchant and accepting returns.

I guess I could mail you a piece of tape if that satisfies? But now I have no guarantee that you will even accept that.

This conversation could make for some good entertainment on the forums as you're valuing a piece of tape at $31.25 ... It sounds to me like your just trying to find an excuse for the restocking fee.

Let me know if you want me to send you a piece of installers tape.

Dustin

From:David Gelinas Sent:November-29-12 10:32:00 AMTo: Dustin Wilson
Dustin my return policies are clearly stated on my website for all to see I didn't hide the fact that the products have to be sent back in "like new condition" which a used piece of tape falls in. I also state that I will not accept returns after 14 days but I didn't want to be an ******* so I accepted yours even though you'd had this for more than two months (Your order was submitted on October 4th) especially since you had back luck with the product and it didn't work on your car (for which you're one of only 2 clients out of 50 units sold that it hasn't worked for)

Threatening me of posting bad comments on TDIClub is not a way to get help you out in any way. What I'll do is send this interface back to you at my cost so you can resell it yourself.

I'll drop it off tonight and supply you will a tracking number.

From:Dustin Wilson Sent:November-29-12 10:56:42 AMTo: David Gelinas
The items I sent back are in perfect condition except for the piece of tape.. I can send you a piece of 3M installers double sided foam tape, hell, I'll send two for the next guy that doesn't return it with the tape. It will even be better tape than what's supplied with the mic. And if that's a good enough replacement, my money is refunded. How does that sound?

If that's not good enough then I guess send it back to me.

Dustin

From:David Gelinas Sent:November-29-12 11:01:32 AMTo: Dustin Wilson
Will be sent back tonight when I pass by the post office.

Have a good day.

David GelinasOSMW - VW/Audi/Euro

:eek: .... I'm kind of in shock. All of this over a piece of double sided mounting tape for the mic mount?!? I have loads of this stuff sitting around my garage, thats why I offered to send him some for replacement, I guess I should have put some in before mailing it back but forgot about it. Anyone knows, once that stuff is used and removed it is wrecked, even if it doesnt tear it's still wrecked usually. I thought surely he would realize that tape isn't reusable.. But it seems he's got my money, and doesn't want to give it back. He could have just said that in the first place to avoid all this hassle.. So.. heads up guys, this is just ridiculous, over a piece of tape. I'm sure OSMW has to have a piece of 3M double sided foam tape somewhere..

So I guess I have a Grom Aux-In with Bluetooth adapter for sale if anyone's interested. :(

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I'm afraid I'd side with the vendor on this one. He said "as new" and you were we'll outside of his time constraints for returning.

dcwilson

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
I'm afraid I'd side with the vendor on this one. He said "as new" and you were we'll outside of his time constraints for returning.
It is "as new", everything is perfect minus a piece of tape. Which really means the vendor shouldn't accept returns with that item then because the tape is one time use. Yes I was well outside his time constraints for return, but he realized I had a weird issue and was nice enough to give me some time. That's why I contacted him before sending it to Grom, but that is irrelevant to the reason for not accepting my return. A piece of tape is the apparent reason.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I wouldn't hesitate to buy from vendor David@Ottostadt. It sounds like he has been reasonable, the issue was not with a part that he sold, rather it was with a "quirk" on your radio.

It is "as new", everything is perfect minus a piece of tape. Which really means the vendor shouldn't accept returns with that item then because the tape is one time use. Yes I was well outside his time constraints for return, but he realized I had a weird issue and was nice enough to give me some time. That's why I contacted him before sending it to Grom, but that is irrelevant to the reason for not accepting my return. A piece of tape is the apparent reason.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
But that return policy is a bit of a "gotcha", since there is no way to comply with the 'exactly as new' requirement for single-use tape! IOW, that vendor tweaked his policy to gaurantee he'd always be able to charge a restock fee. Kinda scummy, IMO. I won't do business with people that nitpick about 5 cents of tape.

TDI
04 BEW Golf
it's a 0.05$ piece of tape now but it could have been a messed up owner's manual or something else. i understand about the box and that I can replace, but a missing piece is a missing piece no matter what it is.

Keep this in mind, I have resell this after, any other buyer won't want to have your pre-installed adapter if I can't show it be "as new" which it's not. yes because of minor part but that what's policies are for.

I was also agreeing to a full refund (minus shipping fees yes) almost 1 1/2 months after purchase... again going against what I state on my site where I list 14days.

Even more I decided to send your interface back today at my expense since we weren't agreeing to the restocking and you end up making me look like a thief in 2 different threads here...